Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Hapsburg Empire of Austria and Hungary

Paul d's Avatar Equites Alares
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default The Hapsburg Empire of Austria and Hungary

History: The Habsburg family originated with the Habsburg Castle in modern Switzerland and after 1278 came to rule in Austria (the Habsburg Hereditary Lands). The Habsburg family grew to European prominence with the marriage and adoption treaty by Emperor Maximilian I at the First Congress of Vienna in 1515 and the subsequent death of adopted Louis II (King of Bohemia and Hungary and Croatia) in 1526. Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, the younger brother of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, was elected the next King of Bohemia, Croatia and Hungary following the death of Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia, in a battle against the Turks at Mohács. From this point the Monarchy grew to a size where at times, it ruled more than half of Europe.

The Banner:

The Coat of Arms:

Ruler: Charles VI Holy Roman Emperor; King of the Romans, Bohemia, Croatia, Hungary, Sardinia, Naples, and Sicily; Archduke of Austria (October 1, 1685)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Charles was born in Vienna, the second son of the Emperor Leopold I and of his third wife, Princess Eleonore-Magdalena of Palatine-Neuburg. He was given the baptismal names Karl Franz Joseph Wenceslau Balthasar Johann Anton Ignatius. His tutor was Prince Anton Florian of Liechtenstein.

Charles was the contracted heir of the Spanish Habsburgs. When Charles II of Spain made Philip V his heir, Louis XIV violated the contract. The dispute for the crown of Spain led to the War of the Spanish Succession.

After his older brother the Emperor Joseph I died suddenly in 1711, Charles returned to Austria. He succeeded immediately as King of Hungary-Croatia and King of Bohemia. Later that year he was elected Holy Roman Emperor in Frankfurt.

He married Elisabeth, eldest daughter of Louis Rudolph, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. At the time of his death, his only surviving children were Maria Theresa and Maria Anna, so he had no living male heirs - a situation he had guarded against in the Pragmatic Sanction of 1713, which stated that his realm could not be divided and allowed that daughters also could inherit the throne from their fathers.

Probably as a consequence of his years in Spain, he introduced the Spanish court ceremonial (Spanisches Hofzeremoniell) in Vienna and built the Spanish Riding School. Furthermore, the Reichskanzlei ("chancellory of the state") and the National Library were constructed during his reign and the Michaeler tract added to the Hofburg. Much was designed in baroque style in Vienna during Charles' reign.

He also had musical ambitions. Taught as a boy by Johann Joseph Fux, he composed, played the harpsichord, and now and then conducted the court's band.

King Charles VI Is currently the administrator of Austria

Queen Consort Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel

The Heirs to the Empire:

(Admin Character) Archduke Leopold Eugene Anton Joseph Benedikt Felician von Hapsburg ( 11, March, 1716- ), Heir Apparent to the Archduchy of Austria, Kingdoms of Hungary, Bohemia, Croatia, Sardinia, Naples, and Sicily

The Young Prince, seen here at age 9.

Baptised as Leopold Eugene Anton Joseph Benedikt Felician von Hapsburg on the 18th of March, 1716, Archduke Leopold has been described for having potential to be a great ruler. From a young age he enjoyed mathematics, and learning. He is one of the Children of the Enlightenment, and it shows. Always skeptical, and always searching for answers, he will probably become a financially shrewd and diplomatically cautious king. He also enjoys watching the Vienna Garrison drill, which assumes that he may have military aspirations in the future.

(Royal Daughter- Charm 2) Archduchess Maria Anna Eleanor Wilhelmina Josepha. (18, September, 1717-)

(Admin Character) Archduke Maximillian Franz Louis-Maria Ignaz Alexander von Hapsburg ( 23, May, 1720- )

The Hapsburg Army:

The Army is a mixed force, with highly skilled, though with questionable loyalty, cavalry from Hungary, Average Austrian and Hungarian line infantry, and the nearly unmatched Irregular Guerrilla Skirmishers of the Croatian and Serbian borderlands.

The Principal General of the Army is Prince Eugene of Savoy Commander of the Imperial Army (Rank 5)

1663–1736, prince of the house of Savoy, general in the service of the Holy Roman Empire.He fought bravely in the relief of Vienna and then in Hungary, where he helped in the capture of Belgrade (1688). By 1697, Eugene had been appointed imperial commander in Hungary, and at Zenta he annihilated the Turkish army. Faced with opposition in Vienna, he began to take a more active part in political affairs. He became (1700) a member of the emperor's privy council and (1703) president of the imperial war council. He was the principal imperial commander in the War of the Spanish Succession (1701–14; see Spanish Succession, War of the). In N Italy, Eugene was victorious over the French forces under Nicolas Catinat and the duke of Villeroi. In 1704 he joined the duke of Marlborough in Bavaria, and together they won the signal victory of Blenheim. Returning to Italy, Eugene fought (1705) an inconclusive battle at Cassano against his cousin, Louis Joseph de Vendôme. His invasion of Provence (1707) was a failure, owing to the inadequacy of his forces. In 1708, Eugene again cooperated with Marlborough in Flanders; the victories of Oudenarde (1708) and Malplaquet (1709) resulted. After the conclusion (1713) of the Peace of Utrecht (see Utrecht, Peace of) by England and France, Eugene continued to campaign on the Rhine against the French under Marshal Villars. Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI empowered him late in the year to negotiate with the war-weary French at Rastatt. The Peace of Rastatt (1714) complemented that of Utrecht. Eugene was made governor of the Austrian Netherlands (1715) and later imperial vicar in Italy.

Guido Starhemberg- Rank 4 - Commander of the Hapsburg forces in Hungary

Guido Wald Rüdiger, count of Starhemberg; (Graz, 1657- ) was an Austrian military officer.
    He was a cousin of Ernst Rüdiger von Starhemberg (1638-1701), the famous commander of Vienna during the Turkish siege of 1683, and acted as his ADC during the siege. Guido followed his cousin, and later Prince Eugene of Savoy, in battles against the Turks.
    In the War of the Spanish Succession Starhemberg fought in Italy and Spain. Between 1706 and 1708 he was the commander-in-chief of the imperial army in Hungary, since this time he led the operations against the insurgents of Francis II Rákóczi. In 1708 he was appointed Supreme commander of the Austrians in Spain.
    Together with James Stanhope he succeeded in conquering Madrid in 1710, after the victories of Almenar and Saragossa.
    But in December he was forced to leave the city by the lack of support by the people of Madrid for the Habsburg pretender. After the defeats at the Battle of Brihuega and the Battle of Villaviciosa (1710), he had to pull back to Catalonia, where he was made viceroy, when Archduke Charles returned to Austria.
    After the Peace of Utrecht (1713), archduke Charles, now Emperor Charles VI, ordered him to abandon Catalonia. He pulled back with his troops to Genoa on English ships.

The Organization:

In general one can say that the older most regular regiments had 4 battalions while some of the newer had not yet reached that number. This made that for full regiments the 'soll' strength was 2,500 men, or 16 companies of 150 men and 1 grenadier company of 100 men. The real strength of a regiment however often averaged about 1,500 men and rarely exceeded 2,100 men, meaning that an Austrian regiment commonly only equaled two battalions of the sea powers.

Austrian Imperial Guard Cuirassier

Elite: 150,000
    Sword: 5,000
    Pistol: 25,00
    Medium Horse: 60,000

Austrian Cuirassiers
    Veteran: 75,000
    Pistol: 25,00
    Medium Horse: 60,000

Austrian Horse Jagers

Carbine: 25,000
    Light Mount: 30,000

Austrian Dragoons

Regular: 30,000
    Carbine: 25,000

Austrian Guard Uhlans
    Lance: 5,000

Austrian Uhlans

Lance: 5,000
    Magyar Kurucs (Hungarian Hussars)

Light mount: 30,000

Hungarian Guard Hussars

Austrian Imperial Guard Grenadiers

Flintlock Musket: 20,000

Hungarian Grenadiers

Austrian Jagers

Rifle: 40,000

Austrian Jagers represent an attempt at professionalizing the skirmishers of the army. They are not very numerous as of now, and not a truly significant part of the military.

Austrian Grenzers

Grenzers are Farmer-soldiers from among the Croats, Serbs, and Slavs along the "Military border" between the Hapsburg lands and the Ottoman empire. The Grenzers had special rights of self-government, enjoyed full religious freedom, and paid 1/3 taxes during peacetime.
    During wartime, they were entirely tax exempt, and were paid 1/3 their wages in money, and the rest in the plundering of border towns within the Ottoman Empire. Tax exemption during wartime was necessary, however, as costs of equipment, uniform, and armaments would be unsustainable if taxes were imposed. The male population capable of bearing arms was divided in three groups. 1 fifth formed the war raised quantity, 3/5 served constantly at the border and the remaining fifth managed the border regions.

Austrian Pandur

Rifle: 40,000
    Pistol: 25,000
    Saber/Yatagan: 5,000
    Pandurs are an elite form of irregular infantry, raised along the Military border from among the Croats, Serbs, and Slavs. They are armed with a Turkish made rifle, 2 pistols, a Saber, and a Yagatan sword. Having recently been formed as a military unit from among the best of the irregulars, they have yet to prove themselves fully. Their garments hearken to the Ottoman Serb soldiery, to show their cultural pride.

Hungarian Fusiliers

'Hungarian' Fusiliers are the term for the Fusiliers drawn from the regions of Croatia, Hungary, Transylvania, and Romania. They are similar in training to German Fusiliers, but are slightly better at loose order combat, and skirmishing.

German Fusiliers

50,000'German' Fusiliers are the term for the Fusiliers drawn from parts of Germany, Austria, Bohemia, Belgium, and Northern Italy. They are average infantry, not being notably successful, but not being notably poor either.

Artillery:

6 Lb. Artillery Crew:
    6 lb Cannons: 30,000

8 Lb. Artillery Crew:
    8 Lb. Cannons: 40,000

12 Lb. Artillery Crew:
    12 Lb. Cannons: 50,000

Landwehr:
    of Lower Austria

Of Trieste Littoral

Of Bohemia

Of Hungary

Landwehr Footmen:
    Militia: 10,000
    Flintlock Muskets: 20,000

Hungarian Landwehr Horsemen:

In Silesia:
    Prince Eugene of Savoy's Austrian Imperial Army
    2 Regiments of German Fusiliers : 100,000
    1 Regiments of Austrian Uhlans : 70,000
    3 8 Lb. Artillery Division: 225,000
    1 12 Lb. Artillery Division: 85,000
    1 6 Lb. Artillery Division: 65,000
    Battered Bohemian Army: With Eugene's Forces
    2 Regiments of German Fusiliers: 100,000
    1 Regiments of Regular Magyar Kurucs: 65,000

Hungarian Army: At Tyrol
    1 Regiment of Austrian Horse Jagers: 205,000
    1 Regiment of Hungarian Guard Hussars: 110,000
    1 Regiments of Magyar Kurucs: 65,000
    5 Regiments of Hungarian Fusiliers: 250,000
    1 Regiments of Austrian Jagers: 115,000
    1 6 Lb. Artillery Division: 65,000
    1 8 Lb. Artillery Division: 75,000

Soldiers Raised from Military Border- : At Tyrol
    3 Regiments of Grenzers- 300,000
    1 Regiment of Pandurs: 220,000

Sicilian/Neopolitan Army:
    In Naples
    3 Regiments of Italian Landwehr: 90,000
    5 Regiments of Italian Fusiliers - 250,000
    2 Divisions of Regular 8 pounders(no sword)- 140,000
    2 Divisions of Regular 6 Pounders (no sword- 120,000
    2 Regiments of Italian Light Cavalry- 130,000
    1 Regiment Italian Cuirassiers- 165,000 (turn 4)

Army in Tyrol:
    At tyrol
    3 Regiments of Landwehr From Tyrol, Voralburg and Further Austria : 90,000
    1 Regiment of Hungarian Guard Hussars: 110,000
    1 Regiment of Austrian Guard Uhlans: 115,000 (turn 4)
    5 Regiments of German Fusiliers - 250,000
    1 Regiments of Austrian Uhlans- 70,000
    2 Regiments of Magyar Kurucs- 130,000
    2 Divisions of 8 Pounders- 150,000

Navy: decommissioned

Diplomacy:

Prussia: War
    Ottoman Empire: Poor Relations
    Russian Empire: Alliance
    Great Britain: Alliance
    France: War
    Spain: Poor Relations
    Portugal: Royal Marriage/Alliance?
    United Netherlands: Friendly
    Papal States: Friendly
    Poland: Alliance
    Sweden: Indifferent
    Denmark-Norway: Indifferent
    Last edited by Paul d; February 13, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

MuttonChops's Avatar Equites Alares
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: The Hapsburg Empire of Austria and Hungary

A letter arrives to the court of Charles VI The Holy Roman Emperor

It reads...

To the Great Holy Roman Emperor, Charles VI

It is with complete joy and humility, that I the representative of the Papal States and his holiness the Pope, Clement XI, humbly conveys the Pope's good wishes towards his majesty, Charles VI, the true Holy Roman Emperor, under God. I humbly ask for your approval in accepting the Pope's offer of a peaceful vassalage of the Papal States to your true Christian power, for protection against the material evils of this world.

Papal Nuncio to the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Archbishop Karl Rauber
    Last edited by MuttonChops; December 24, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Aetius's Avatar Remove Kebab
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Approved.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

To Emperor Charles,

We have served together but a few years ago during the War of Spanish Succession. Prussian Armies have fought beside Imperial soldiers against the French and the Bavarians. I would like to regain that alliance, and ask simply in exchange for my future support the land of Silesia. Should you not respond in a week (one real life day) I will assume you wish to surrender it and will be march my forces in it to complete the transaction. Should you refuse my offer I will consider it a grave insult, and I'm sure neither of us want that kind of misunderstanding.

King Fredrick William, Elector of Bradenberg, King in Prussia.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Demanding The Hereditary lands of the Hapsburg family, Lands which have been in the line since 1526, is no way to show allegiance or friendship in any reasonable way whatsoever, and your attempts of seizure will be met with similar demeanour. Tell them that."

Charles said to his court official, as the official hastily scribbled the message onto a piece of paper. Afterwards, he handed the paper to a courier, who exited the palace hastily and leapt onto his horse, who began its unexpected journey to Prussia.

Several days later...

"Your Imperial Majesty, word comes of Ottoman movements. They are a greater threat than Prussia. We cannot Risk the whole of Hungary and Austria herself to the Moslem rabble. We must abandon Silesia temporarily and move to stop the greater foe. I suggest we put a greater effort to protect Hungary- you do recall their revolts during the Succession War, correct? " Prince Eugene of Savoy informed the emperor, after receiving news of the Ottomans.

"Very well then, Eugene, But I am troubled that the land of Silesia must go to Prussia. Can we prevent that as well?"

"I have a plan, but it would involve extensive bloodshed. I will take the Austrian and Hungarian armies, and prepare to stave off the Ottoman forces, whilst the Bohemian army stays at its place. We will allow the knavish Prussians to steal your hereditary lands of Silesia, but only for a short while. After I lead the Armies of the Holy Roman Emperor to victory against the moslems, we shall decide further movements. In the meantime, we must raise soldiers, for we cannot defeat two enemies with our current military."

"But I'm sure the nobility will not like what they will call our 'military excess'."

"Sir, they will agree if they are threatened with a massive Ottoman invasion the likes of which haven't been seen since I first entered your service. But I have no doubt I will be capable of dispatching them without great trouble."
    Last edited by Paul d; January 14, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

To Emperor Charles,

Your messenger must have been traitorous and thus moved my troops to Silesia. To avoid war I ask that you grant me the territory I already maintain by force of arms, and three years of peace with myself and three years with the Ottomans.

Signed,

King Fredrick William, Elector of Bradenberg and King in Prussia.

OOC: Got to do it in character too...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"your Imperial Majesty, a letter from Frederick William." a courier called, after being allowed into the palace.

"Hmph. Let me read!"

After scanning the document with his keen eyes, he grumbled to himself about something.

"Damn it, Eugene was incorrect. The Turks feigned. Well... Still, these lands were ours for two hundred years... Well... I suppose we could take it back in a decade or two. Tell him I accept his demands, however knavish they may be."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

OOC: Is 3 years = 9 turns good for you?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

4 turns or less or war is not over.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

4 turns would work...

Primary purpose is to keep it from being a constant war with no break.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok but I don't want no treaty with the Ottomans.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You already agreed to it...

cfmonkey45's Avatar Centurio Primus Pilus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A Letter to the Emperor-Elect Charles VI of Austria
    To the Emperor-Elect and Archduke of Austria,

Due to our already outstanding relationship, and our previous royal marriage--between Marie Anne, the sister of His Highness the Emperor, and myself, the King of Portugal--we would find it most prudent in these trying times to form a military pact.

It would seem that such an agreement--given the fact that our navy is larger than that of any Austrian fleet by tenfold--would be most beneficial to the Emperor, should he be involved in a war.

His Highness King Joăo V of Portugal
    The Res-Publica | Lucius Licinius Varrus - Senator of Rome

Populist Points: 5
    Patrician Points: 0
    Gravitas: 0

Moderator of the Alliance Gateway | National Alliances | World Alliances | Stellar Alliances | Fantasy Alliances

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Emperor Charles VII,

I'm a little worried about your recent movement towards my forces. I need you assurance that you are not planning on violating our peace treaty.

King Fredrick William, Elector of Brandenberg, King in Prussia.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"At first I respected you, Frederick William, an intelligent and national security minded administrator, Until I took you as what you are: nothing more than a robber baron. You show absolutely no regard for the Holy Roman Empire: you mustn't remember when back in 1701 My brother, the late Emperor Leopold, allowed your father to be a king- you are the King In Prussia, and not the King of Prussia, for a reason. You forget that your father was crowned so as to prevent his infringement on his Imperial territories Remember, however, according to Germanic law , no kingdoms can exist within the Holy Roman Empire, with the exception of the Kingdom of Bohemia- Your father argued that Brandenburg-Prussia was never in Imperial boundaries, and thus, not Imperial territories. But alas, You are still a subject of me, you are still an Elector within the domains of the Empire, not a proper king in the raw definition of the term. So, I come with an offer. Return Silesia to me, a clearly defined hereditary land of the Hapsburg family, and I will not send Imperial soldiers into Prussia."

He pauses.

"Is that all, Sir?"

The emperor sighs deeply.

"Yes."

Aetius's Avatar Remove Kebab
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sry for bein late

Hungarian Revolution

Coat of Arms of Hungary

With the recent defeat of the Austrian army in Bohemia, the Hungarians in the south have risen up to seize their independance under the great enemy of the Hapsburgs, Francis II Rákóczi. He was recently released by the Ottomans to stir up problems for their unfreindly neighbors.

The countryside is inflamed with patriotism once again and they have seized Subotica. The Hapsburg army has withdrawn, but not from the province, they await further orders.

Currently Francis II Rákóczi is pleading for support around Europe as well as with his original Ottoman benefactors. Superficial commendations have been given but most believe that this Hungarian revolt will fail as have all the rest.

The Hapsburgs must now make a decision.

1) Crush the rebelllion
    2) Acknowledge is sovereignty

Army Size and Types

4 xRegular Magyar Kurucs
    3 x Hungarian Fusiliers
    6 x Hungarian Landwehr
    1 x Hungarian Landwehr Horsemen
    1 x 6lb Artillery

Worth: 700,000

Magyar Kurucs (Hungarian Hussars)

Hungarian Fusiliers

'Hungarian' Fusiliers are the term for the Fusiliers drawn from the regions of Croatia, Hungary, Transylvania, and Romania. They are similar in training to German Fusiliers, but are slightly better at loose order combat, and skirmishing.

6 Lb. Artillery Crew:
    6 lb Cannons: 30,000
    Of Hungary

Landwehr Footmen:
    Flintlock Muskets: 20,000

Hungarian Landwehr Horsemen:

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

After learning of the Austrian offer to the Portuguese, the representative of France in Portugal approached the Austrian diplomat, "Louis XV, King of France, is greatly interested in your offer to Portugal. If the offer is refused by Louis XV's Father in law, he would like to make an offer; 120,000 francs for each fleet. If this deal is allowed, my King will also allow Austrian forces to enter Venice and Tuscany unopposed by French troops."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Though the Hapsburgs and Bourbons are long time enemies, this deal is well formulated, and mutually useful. We accept."

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Your acceptance marks a new beginning of Hapsburg-Bourbon relations. I will dispatch a messenger to tell my King of it immediately. Currently, our funds are limited, and we will only be able to purchase two fleets. But once all the taxes have been collected from the peasants, we will be able to purchase the remainder of your Navy," with that, the representative of France bowed, and then left to his room to prepare a letter for the King.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

We are willing to reoffer the Treaty of Hanover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information