Thread: No food supply script?

Default No food supply script?

Hi all RTW peeps, my research before downloading any huge files has led me to this mod but I can't find any sort of supply system and traits (e.g. survive 16 turns in friendly territory, 8 turns in enemy etc ... I never use captains anyway as nothing makes me rage more then a turncoat army).

Can anyone confirm (no supply system)? Thx.

Nevertheless my first half a dozen turns have been really enjoyable, RTW interface is somehow pleasing. Quick and responsive,turns are over in seconds, runs like a dream with everything cranked up and really looks a lot better than expected.
    Last edited by St Naffatun; December 20, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
    "If we didn't have cruxifixion, this country'd be in a right bloody mess"

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: No food supply script?

Adding supply related issues has been discussed several times, but IIRC is practically impossible with the current game. I think I remember a similar sort of script though, which damaged an army in a desert, but I can't remember if it was ever actually made or again just discussed.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

Am beginning to see how it would not work - can't put my finger on it but it's more challenging than the hardest Medieval 2 mods I've ever tried.

Right now my one legion is racing up and down central Italy, alternately starving out rebels or coming to the rescue of my own beseiged cities. It's excellent .

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I'm pretty sure a supply system wouldn't work well. Scripting it is theoretically possible, but there's no way to tell the AI about it, so the AI would blunder on and accrue penalties. Basically, the AI is like a dog that's too stupid to figure out how an invisible fence works.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I'm pretty sure a supply system wouldn't work well. Scripting it is theoretically possible, but there's no way to tell the AI about it, so the AI would blunder on and accrue penalties. Basically, the AI is like a dog that's too stupid to figure out how an invisible fence works.
    It seems to work via general/family member character traits, and a counter determining how far you are along a continuum (Fully supplied, 50%, 25%, Out of Supplies) with troop morale penalties as you go.

Frankly it's quite annoying but helps to improve the challenge when playing Med 2 TW which I find too easy no matter what mods/submods (which is why I went looking for a RTW mod). The extra supply challenge traits are not needed from what I've seen so far in this mod.

Greeks are landing forces of 3 -5 units (on VH) it would be easy to deal with but my only chance is to coaslesce my forces into 1 legion, so by the time I intercept, these Greek forces are on their way to half/three quarter stack size and my legion is being worn down - retraining when distance and money allows. Allies are working together against me attempting to block my relief army while their allies beseige. I've not seen that cooperation in med 2.

As far as battles go skirmishers are far more enjoyable to use (they actually throw their javelins which is a welcome surprise), enemy cavalry are a real pain in the neck, and the AI actually flanks for once instead of their predictable Med 2 counterparts charging into front line spearmen like idiots (yes even when I downloaded Battle AI that was supposed to flank more).

Awesome mod.

I'm just worried the AI would utterly fail with the logistics, though. How would it know that it needs to take its troops back to base occasionally?

I'm glad that the AI is pushing you so hard. That was our goal.

I'm also glad that the skirmishers are working properly and that the AI is flanking. Sinhuet's AI is excellent, although I had to spend a lot of time tweaking it to get the skirmishers working properly. (I needed a lot of advice from Aradan, as well as the excellent find/replace capability of Notepad++ to make it happen.)
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

There's some sort of condition IfFactionIsLocal (i.e. the human player) something like that, tucked away somewhere (don't ask me where) so the AI is never affected and can "camp" parts of the map indefinitely.

If you neglect you own armies for too long in the field they all desert yet I've seen mongol AI stacks standing around near baghdad for decades without losing any men (the fearsome mongol horde standing there staring into space )

I hate it when they do that. The AI just gets confused.

Oh, I see what you mean. Just limit the food supply script to humans.

I'm not sure I like that idea. I hate to inflict any difficulties on the human that aren't shared by the AI. Would people want that?

That said, if you wanted to script that and release it as an add-on, I wouldn't object and would be happy to advise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Would people want that?
    No it's not needed RTRPE:ER is hard enough as it is. Supply is just an attempt to make Med II mods more challenging. Supply can be quite annoying but is better than having a campaign that's too easy - there's no need for RTRPE:ER to use anything like this it's very tough already (from what I have played).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    P.S. Supply is quite annoying e.g. you can be near a friendly port or town yet you literally have to go INSIDE the settlement for a turn to supply, so it detracts from your strategic options (e.g. blocking a bridge crossing near your capital) when in a real campaign you could set up a camp near a friendly supply source without any difficulties.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that. My comp can't quite run MTW2, so I haven't had a chance to see it in action for those mods.

I agree - there is no need for that supply thingy. I hated it in MTW2.

This Mod and particularly this sub-Mod thrives to reflect more the antic roman feel and it want to be improved on related issues.

Please, do not mess around with this excellent mod.

Ok, then I'll consider this matter closed.