Thread: Weird Lag

Default Weird Lag

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same trouble. I run M&B maxed out, with about 200 men battle size, and the game runs like a gem. 9 times out of ten I get no lag at all, but if I mess around and get into a battle in one of those 'hill/mountain' terrains, the game drops to like 3 FPS. You know, the terrain where you can't easily use a horse, and everything looks like crap because infantry is flying up and down cliff-sides.

I've tried disabling a number of things, but nothing seems to help. If it was my choice I'd just disable that type of battle field and be done with it. Maybe the zonky terrain is causing huge pathfinding lag?

Default Re: Weird Lag

I freeze sometimes if I do too much at once during a great siege

I've been getting some rather horrid lag lately as well, not sure what causes it because my settings can be moved around a whole bunch nothing speeds back up. funny how this game gives me problems but Left4dead runs without a hitch.

Well, I've narrowed the lag down to a certain terrain on the battlefield. When the ground is relatively flat, or just naturally hilly, there is no problem, but when the ground is jagged it gets bad.

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

I have the same problems as you, but instead of a mountain, I get serious lag when I max out grass.
    Baird: "Hey! Stop shooting it, you're pissing it off!"

Cole: "You're telling me what not to shoot in here? Look at this ****!"

Marcus: "More like 10 ****loads"

Marcus: "Hmph, they can eat **** and die for all I care..."

I thought grass might be the problem, but it isn't. I turned grass down to 25% and it still lags mountains.

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

For me, turning grass off completely worked like a charm while my other settings are at max.
    Baird: "Hey! Stop shooting it, you're pissing it off!"

Cole: "You're telling me what not to shoot in here? Look at this ****!"

Marcus: "More like 10 ****loads"

Marcus: "Hmph, they can eat **** and die for all I care..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    Well, I've narrowed the lag down to a certain terrain on the battlefield. When the ground is relatively flat, or just naturally hilly, there is no problem, but when the ground is jagged it gets bad.

I'd like to see that terrain so I can replace it.

Forests are usually a given when concerning lag, as trees dont have lods

Next time I find myself on said terrain, I'll take some shots. It has to have something to do with some quality of that type of battlefield. It isn't hard to recognize though, its the ugly one where horses are nearly useless, where there are steep hills every couple feet with very deep valleys.

I'm also sure the lag has something to do between the soldiers pathfinding, or just processes concerning troops and how they handle the terrain, because as soldiers clash and things get more 'simplified' with fighting the lag sometimes lessens to the point of smoothness again.

I've tested it, disabling all types of shadows then reloading a save just before the terrain is used. Did the same with grass and other things.

So, I go from maxed out settings, large battles, and perfect always above at least 30fps gameplay to nothing having changed except what type of battlefield I was on, and it drops to around 2 or 3 fps, even with some things completely turned off. That's why I made the thread.

uhm try to remove "sound variation"...

Like the poster above, Sound variation fixed it for me. It's in audio options when you start the launcher, press configure.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I sure wasn't going to sacrifice more than one graphical slider to resolve the weird battlefield issue. I'll test it out and see if it works.