View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kingdoms only!

35 57.38%
  • No, I've only got Med2

5 8.20%
  • Make a version for Med2, then build a Kingdoms compatible addon on top of it

14 22.95%
  • I don't care.

7 11.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms Only

Default Kingdoms Only

Should we go for the way that Marcus and aeoleron9 and the rest of the old team was going for, which is to use the Medieval engine and not the Kingdoms one? Or should we go for Kingdoms?

Pros of Kingdoms
    1) XAI & other more advanced AIs will be able to run using it
    2) Boiling oil for BOOK SPOILER
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    that drenched Knight of Flowers goodness

3) Permanent stone forts (can be used to represent the smaller castles...., e.g the other half of the Twins)
    4) Different faction leader skins etc...you know, all the Kingdoms features..

Cons of Kingdoms
    1) People without Kingdoms won't be able to play
    Last edited by Darkstar; April 29, 2009 at 06:04 PM.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

KoRnflakes's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Kingdoms Only

Kingdoms only!
    Danke King Kong dass ich Third Age ab meinem Geburtstag zocken kann

Really, by this point in time people should have gotten the awesome expansion, if only for the really good mods that are out for it. I say Kingdoms only! It adds quite a bit of much needed things to the original game.

I think the pros and cons list pretty much sums it up....kingdoms only!

and add a pros: mod folder=no replacing of files. you can play multiple mods without having to continually move files in an out of the game folders
    The Hound

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

You guys realize how much work it will be to port this over?

Yeah, but I just thought that I'd ask and see what people wanted first.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Lord de Lyonesse's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    I think the pros and cons list pretty much sums it up....kingdoms only!

Why though.. i mean with the mods you can conquer the world whereas with the others your restricted to the middle east, eastern europe or Britain.. its so much better to conquer the world..
    GSTK: Richard Trevelyan [47] - Lord of Lyonesse

Kingdoms! Besides, for those without, kingdoms can be had for $20 or less in the US.

Why though.. i mean with the mods you can conquer the world whereas with the others your restricted to the middle east, eastern europe or Britain.. its so much better to conquer the world..
    its not the added campiegns its the added features. like burning oil and stone forts and all the rest of the corrections and upgrades that kindoms adds, plus again you can download and play multiple mods (stainless steel, DHRR and so on) without having to save/replace game files
    The Hound

The features really make this a great idea. And besides, like Kolath said, Kingdoms is really cheap.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

kingdoms only simply because the features makes it so much better. We could have a real King Robb or a real King Stannis on the battlefield

Double A's Avatar person man

Or a real Grey Wind (a RTW wardog modded into Robb's bodyguard? PLEASE?)
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    BOOK SPOILER
    ZOMG SPOILER ALERT?!
    Last edited by stormbringer951; January 02, 2009 at 09:29 AM.

Double A's Avatar person man

Oh great. Now I'll have to look it up on Wikipedia and it'll ruin it for me.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

King of History's Avatar Protector Domesticus

ill save you the time, its in a feast of crows isn't? DOH

Edited thread so spoiler is covered up now. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    You guys realize how much work it will be to port this over?
    Actually, no. Can you give a brief explanation of what porting would entail? Isn't most of the code reusable?

Aegon's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    Edited thread so spoiler is covered up now. Sorry
    you made a typo, it's still not covered...
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -- Winston Churchill

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but 'That's funny...’
    -- Issac Asimov

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Dammit, fixed typo. Anyway, I want some more community input here. We might not be able to do a Kingdoms version unless we have more coders. At the moment, we only have Condo active (as Unbowed has a hardware problem atm) , who doesn't have Kingdoms. I asked him (as I know all about scripting and so on)

Well, AFAIK, you would have to load up Kingdoms and start fresh. Only certain files would be compatible. Our problem is mainly scripts. EDB and EDU have to be rewritten from Kingdoms version. 'show_me' won't be too hard. You could even transfer those from one to the other.
    if I had Kingdoms........3months.
    So we don't have the manpower at the moment to spare. Community input?

Aegon's Avatar Libertus

I would stick with the existing approach and forget about kingdoms until you have a final release out.

In the end, it's your decision, but since you're already low on workforce, I wouldn't want to further increase my workload, if I was in your place.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -- Winston Churchill

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but 'That's funny...’
    -- Issac Asimov

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast