Thread: Sword Hypaspist

Icon5 Sword Hypaspist

Gotta say, I'm loving this mod... In my opinion it brings a lot extra to RTR which on its own is already pretty awesome

Just 1 thing though, is it possible for me to edit some files in order to get the sword hypaspist back for Macedon? I noticed they're still available in custom battle but not in the main campaign (as was pointed out in the release info)

I've been searching through the modding tutorials, though I don't really know what I'm searching for as I don't have any modding experience..

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Sword Hypaspist

Welcome to the boards.

It should be pretty straightforward. First, figure out the units' internal names. I believe they're:
    macedonian swords
    bactrian swords
    seleucid swords

Second, find all mentions of them in the export_descr_buildings.txt file.
    Third, delete the semicolon at the start of each of the lines from step 2.

That should enable recruitment of sword hypaspists again.

For the record, we removed them due to lack of historical evidence for a primarily sword-wielding Successor unit (that wasn't an AOR/merc unit like Galatians). That said, I made it a very "soft" removal (as opposed to deleting the lines, files, etc.) because I thought there might be people who'd like to play with them still.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Thanks, yeah I figured that might be the reason to exclude them (though when you think about it, there's no historical evidence that there weren't any sword wielding successor units ).

Either way, I didn't get a chance to go back on internet yesterday so I started going through some of the files myself and in the end managed to put 2 & 2 together.. and it seems to be working.

Thanks for the reply anyways, and again great job with the mod!

Fair enough. I'm just looking for positive evidence before I implement something.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Let us know if you have any other questions.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

FYI the seleucids still start with a sword hypasist or two (can't remember if it's 1 or 2).. but they aren't retrainable...

Not sure if this was an oversight or not (certainly not a big issue)

Oh, yeah, them. I kept meaning to take them out, but never got around to it. They'll probably be gone in the next version since we'll need the DMB space.