Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beta 01: XAI Retrofit + Guaom!

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: Beta 01: XAI Retrofit + Guaom!

I have a question for you guys playing this mod, do you like not having the faction specific goals, of taking the cities? Does it make for a more interesting game for you??
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

I like having goals and rewards for them. Especially the "take a city, get X amount of gold" for it. The ones I dislike are the ones that are completely off the chart, it'll ask me to take a town that is out of the way.

Wait, if your talking about the "long" or "short" campaign where you have to hold x amount of regions and x specific regions, I don't care either way man. It doesn't really effect what I do in terms of strategy, it just seems to be something way off in the distance that I don't pay much attention to.
    Last edited by MadMardigan; April 24, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - John Handey

I would like to hear some ideas from you guys as to what you want changed in this mod.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

My thoughts on this:

I love the variety of units in this but some of them are really unnecessary. You get the option of building all these units but they're effectiveness is nerfed right off the bat or very near to it. So I would like to see them implemented better. Maybe some sort of date trigger to activate cycles of the available units. Or maybe limiting the availability of the stronger units and forcing me to use a variety. I would definitely like to see all the units stay in the game. I also think they need to be balanced better but that could just be me.

I would love to see a larger map, maybe something similar to PDER and give the same move distance's as PDER as well.

VH/VH is much too easy I think. There is a slight strain on the money flow but not enough to stall me. Partially due to the merchant trade items around "Constantinople" and that tends to come into play around turn 15-20. I make quite a bit off those 4 trade items and some others down near Jerusalem. With no real strain on money I'm able to mass large armies of elite troops. It's just not something that the AI can stand up agianst. I have seen improvements in XAI 3.2 but it's still not quite there yet.

I don't think the AI is aggressive enough either. Maybe slightly increase that and add some strain on the money supply and it'll be a bit tougher.

Another thing, and I don't know if XAI has really addressed this or not but the Mongol and the Turmid invasions don't seem to work right. They don't penetrate into Europe and they stall all over the place. It takes quite a bit of time for them to start taking land and when they do it seems as though they just stall out. I think if they were more of a force to deal with it would add a mid-late game challenge, something to up the stakes a bit and change the pace.

Some of the starting rebel towns are just too easy to take. As HRE I run around and within 10 turns I'll double my settlement count with a low amount of troops defending and a megre amount attacking. The ability to do that kills my neighbors I think. The AI seems to have a tough time taking rebel settlements, even when they outnumber them with superior troops. So by the time I come around they're usually already dulled down.

From what I've seen in XAI I know it's capable of rockin this out.

Edit: I just want everyone to know that this is a very good version, but it's version XAI 3.2. I just got done running a beta test on XAI 3.4 and I'm telling you, this is going to be the end all ai. This is what you guys been waiting for... I want you to understand this isn't hype, there's no cheap tricks here. The AI is intelegent, and not just at face value, it manuevers on you in and amoung the fighting. I guarentee there is no one here that would say VH/VH XIA 3.4 is easy. I've played this game since it was released and I'm telling you, I've never seen anything like this. I've talked to Xerxy and I'll wright up some notes for you guys and keep you posted. Maybe a video review of whats to come.

Let me be the one to say, this is worth getting excited over, and that is no bull!
    Last edited by MadMardigan; April 24, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - John Handey

The mod is realy nice tho, much better than vanilla AI that's for sure.
    I'm like in turn 225 now ( 375 turns until done ) with russia and there has never been allied factions except if I ask the factions.
    And factions only recruit 2 or 3 different units, Denmark only recruits full stacks of chivalric knights and dismounted feudal knights.
    England armoured swordsmen, billmen and yeoman archers. HRE only gothic knights, pavise crossbows and zweihanders and so on for all factions.
    The AI is aggressive but a more aggressive AI would be great. I can just march to the enemy castles, cities without a problem.
    If the AI lay siege on my settlements, it would be much more fun if they surround it with 2 or 3 full stacks.

On the other hand, when I allied with a faction they will never stab my back. I'm like 225 turns further with hungary as ally.
    Factions guard their borders with stone forts wich is very good aswel.
    The factions defend themselfs very good. Only scotland ( destroyed by England ) got wiped out and denmark by my hands.
    All possible factions are still in game.
    Venice got almost killed and are now regaining terrain from Hungary, same for HRE on Poland.
    Only the AI must attack me more and more balanced stacks of units.
    Regardless, I'm still enjoying the game and keep up the good work!!
    Kind regards

When this beta version of XAI 3.4 gets out and "ported" over for Retrofit+GUAM, you're going to love MTWIIK again. These guys have done an amazing job on it.

Link is broken

Click on my signature, to find it

Hi All,

Just completed a fresh install of Medieval 2 + kingdoms + retrofit and Guam.

Would like to try the latest XAI mod that is compatible with this setup, but the comments got me confused.

I see XCAI3.4.zip and XBAI_V3.4.zip shared by Xeryx, but not sure if these can just be plugged into GUAM or is there a custom version i should use which is made compatible with retrofit + Guam?

Please help!
    -Alex

Only the XBAI for right now, I will update the files soon..don't worry. For the cusom version.

You can use the desc_campaign_ai_db.xml out of the CAI as well, but all other files require integration.

Thanks for the reply Xeryx. Your work on this one is greatly appreciated!

So should i then use previous version of custom CAI for now? Where do i find that?

Or should i just be patient and wait for the custom update for 3.4?

Thanks again!
    -Alex

I do not have the old version posted currently. Be patient..I'll get to it

Hello
    Just like everybody else im a bit bored of the poor battleai and campaign ai in the "vanilla" guaom. So i wanna try out the xai that im reading about, but im a bit confused over what i should download and how to install it properly!

What is the last completely working version of the xai for retrofit/guaom? (i want both cai and bai)
    And how exactly do i install it?
    Can i play medium difficulty on both campaign and battle and still get the "full" effect of the xai? Which brings me to another subject, what exactly is the difference from changing campaign difficulty (worse trade, harder to get alliances, less money, happiness in the towns i always thought) But will the ai factions actually be more aggresive in attacking me with bigger size armys maybe?

Sorry for all the questions, im kinda new in this.
    Cheers dave

It ok, for battle ai all you need if the config_ai_battle.xml and the battle_config.xml.

oh damn i completely missed that you answeared me the next day, haha, thanx a lot again..so now i can improve the battle ai, then i guess i just take thoose 2 files from the 3.4 xbai and just paste them into the data folder right?

And i guess that the xcai isnt ready yet for this mod? =) thanx again man

Hello guys, this is my first post on this site. I'm pretty new to Medieval 2 in the sense that I had the game for quite some time but I've only recently started to get into it.

I've installed Retrofit+GUAM v6 and I'd now like to get this AI mod as it's being hailed as one of the best but I'm not sure what to do to install it properly. I've tried to read instructions on different threads but they seem to be either incomplete or inconsistent.

So far:
    -I have installed Retrofit and GUAM v6;
    -I have downloaded both XBAI and XCAI v3.4;
    -I understand I no longer need to edit ai_label in descr_strat.txt;

XCAI folder has:
    descr_campaign_ai_db.xml;
    descr_campaign_db(Use these sections).xml;
    descr_diplomacy.xml;
    descr_faction_standing(EXAMPLE).txt
    descr_settlement_mechanics(EXAMPLE).xml
    descr_walls(EXAMPLE).txt

XBAI folder has:
    battle_config.xml;
    config_ai_battle.xml;
    descr_formations.txt;
    descr_formations_ai.txt;
    descr_pathfinding.db;
    descr_pathfinding.txt;
    descr_skeleton.txt;

So which of these do I install (I assume they all go to "Medieval II - Total War\mods\retrofit\data"), do I modify any of them, and do I need to modify any other files to make both XCAI and XBAI work properly with standard retrofit+GUAM? Also is there any in game confirmation that they work properly (such as a new loading screen or an icon in the corner of the screen?)

Please help me out and sorry about the long post.
    Last edited by XenoRad; September 18, 2009 at 02:14 PM.

Any word on this? What is the latest CAI version we should be using for retrofit if XAI 3.4 has not been fully optimized for retrofit? Thanks

Hi guys saw your posts, and I am working out of town, but will get back to them soon..sorry for the delay

Quote Originally Posted by XenoRad View Post
    Hello guys, this is my first post on this site. I'm pretty new to Medieval 2 in the sense that I had the game for quite some time but I've only recently started to get into it.

I've installed Retrofit+GUAM v6 and I'd now like to get this AI mod as it's being hailed as one of the best but I'm not sure what to do to install it properly. I've tried to read instructions on different threads but they seem to be either incomplete or inconsistent.

So far:
    -I have installed Retrofit and GUAM v6;
    -I have downloaded both XBAI and XCAI v3.4;
    -I understand I no longer need to edit ai_label in descr_strat.txt;

XCAI folder has:
    descr_campaign_ai_db.xml;
    descr_campaign_db(Use these sections).xml;
    descr_diplomacy.xml;
    descr_faction_standing(EXAMPLE).txt
    descr_settlement_mechanics(EXAMPLE).xml
    descr_walls(EXAMPLE).txt

XBAI folder has:
    battle_config.xml;
    config_ai_battle.xml;
    descr_formations.txt;
    descr_formations_ai.txt;
    descr_pathfinding.db;
    descr_pathfinding.txt;
    descr_skeleton.txt;

So which of these do I install (I assume they all go to "Medieval II - Total War\mods\retrofit\data"), do I modify any of them, and do I need to modify any other files to make both XCAI and XBAI work properly with standard retrofit+GUAM? Also is there any in game confirmation that they work properly (such as a new loading screen or an icon in the corner of the screen?)

Please help me out and sorry about the long post.
    The BAI is plug and play.
    the CAI is almost plug and play.
    please follow the directions here The redlined directions, are obsolete. The skeleton.txt file is not needed, but makes fights look more accurate.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon14 Re: Beta 01: XAI Retrofit + Guaom!

I have attached the version of 3.4 I am using for Retrofit, it does not include the settlement mechanics or walls files. Please consider this a beta as it has not been tested much. Enjoy.

Instructions: unzip to SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\retrofit\data

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast