Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: XAI 3.4 For KGCM coming soon !

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: Beta 5: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod (KGCM) Fans! Now with XAI

This is the deal for this week, not only will I be extremely buzy at work..but I am sick With a bad headcold. I might as well have pneumonia. If you want to play around with the campaign desc .db settings in the "AI" section please feel free. I have tried below the value of one. Why don't you try higher and maybe match them more to the BAI. If that all fails remove them and see how it works.. not grumpy just can't think guys...

Miikll know alot about he files, I work with him alot. He is the one that keeps me straightened out. So maybe you guys can share info and stuff and make some changes for the better.. I have a feeling this is going to be a doozy of a cold.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 19, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Take your time recovering and don't worry about XAI for now. I'll play around with the file and see what that does. I hope you feel better

Hi Xeryx,i did another test to KGCM beta 5, 85 turns with denmark with out interfering vh/vh toggle fow on,garrison script of.Disenbarcks are not working well for ex: Ireland siege 8 times the island of castle town wich the owner is norway,they were not at war, and then go to the boat in the other turn they siege again.Norway was at war with me they disenbark in stettin and stayed there for several turns doing nothing has you can see in the screen,sicily disenbark only in the island south of sicily and conquered only 2 provinces in 85 turns,Hre in 85 turns only declared war on milan and then destroyed them by conquer 3 provinces of them,they had france with no garrinsons and did nothing.For me the rest is ok.i think this problems are hapening becouse of diplomacy, i think every faction should try to win the game by conquering their weker neibor and so on,this is total war game to much diplomacy can ruin the game.Here are some screens.This beta is better then the last one good work .

One last thing to note:

I have noticed a strange occurance in which the AI will at times empty its garrison almost completely and move the remaining troops a few tiles outside the city. I have been checking up on them every turn and they do not move. Here is one example, you can see it at Cork, and also up north in Donegal, although it is a bit cut-off.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This happened in my last campaign as well, and it is happening all over the map, not just in Britannia.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 22, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

MiiKLL's Avatar Semisalis

Hello...I have been watching for this while doing my tests...I have seen it...what I have found that helps is to save and reload on a regular basis...I did it when I saw the idle armies...on the reload those armies moved on to new locations. I also noticed that after I started to do a save and reload on a regular basis (I'm doing it every 5 turns now) that the AI did a better job at merging and consolidating its armies, as well as fewer Idle armies.

I may be incorrect but I believe that the problem with the Idle armies has been around for some time....even dating back to RTW.

"Nothing is more destructive than the charge of artillery on a crowd."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Sort of the reverse of the old "save/load" bug from RTW where the AI forgot its battle plans each time you reloaded an old save, and had to rethink its strategy each time. Instead if we reload a save then the AI "remembers" its strategy?? When will CA just give us an AI that is fully functional?

Also, PM me on what you would like me to report on. I haven't touched any of the files we talked about yet, since I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm ready to help in any way I can until xeryx feels better.

I played a few turns using teh reload tactic, and the situation has not improved at all.

Ireland, who can easily overwhelm Dublin, have lifted the siege and moved back.They also have stacks outside their city....still

Same in Wales. BTW what are the English doing??

Here's denmark doing the same thing.

Last edited by xeryx; January 22, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Hello...that is strange...I'm currently on my second 30 turn test...my first was an easy/easy...this is an easy/very hard one. What I see is that the AI armies stage just outside the settlements and then after maybe one or two turns they move. I have seen AI armies in other areas of the map do it also...but not move until after I have done the reload.

So what I think is that the old " save/load " bug is still there...and the AI isnt so much "forgetting" its plans...as it just sees each reload as a "new" campaign start and makes its decisions based off the set-up of the map....as if its reading the descr_strat.txt file when we start a fresh campaign. Sorry....lol....that was a very wordy agreement with you.

What difficulty levels are you using....at least the AI looks like it is consolidating its stacks pretty well.

it looks like you are not using the script in those screen shots...so that would be a good one to give Xeryx feedback on on how the XCAI is woking with it.

Napoleon Bonaparte

I am using the garrison script, but the asterisks are removed from the city names because I didn't like them.

Im using the hard campaign, very hard battle difficulty. The battle AI is sound so I keep it on VH to keep me occupied. I tried medium on the last campaign test.

What you are seeing should be the deep defense. i would guess. Run the AI logs, it will tell what defense is picked. I'll sort though all of this friday..Riddle me this joker. WHY would you keep more of a garrison in a city than needed. In the game all they do is get sieged.

Ok I am starting to feel better, and should be upto speed Friday at this rate.

Overall, what I see from the screen shots is not bad. Even if an army "stages" next to the cities and such they will move. It is also more practical to have an armie, not inside a city.

The main thing we have to improve is making sure an army that is too weak does not engage too strong of an army and they know when to flee. So we are just about there, as far as tweaking goes. For you guys that are modders feel free to tweak on the smaller campaign.db file.

I really appreciate ALL of you guys helping, this feedback is immensely important and Helpful!! do not think I am ignoring you guys, just not feeling well.

NEWLY FIXED CAI..Please try and start over..LOL It had some bugs in some execution lines due to Find and re-place..

It's just the one file, for the Data Directory.

I will work on fixing everything else tomorrow.

It should work much better!!
    Last edited by xeryx; January 22, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

I'll give it a run tonight. I'll leave no stone unturned....

First 10 turns, same campaign as TO, same strategy, VH/VH difficulty. The AI is still doing doing the thing with keeping their garrisons outside the city. Below I use Ireland as an example, again, to show the changes over time and so we can compare to previous screenshots of the same location throughout my testing. IDK why they are doing this now but it is fairly annoying and weird that its only happening in recent versions.

There are positives though. Lituania is attacking me only from a position of force, at least so far. In the screen, you can also see England making excellent use of forts.

Last edited by xeryx; January 22, 2009 at 02:05 PM.

PWF224, What I am seeing from running the campaign is not Idle stacks, but more of a staging area, for the armies. A point of consolidations, right next to the cities..that are under a deep defense.

To test this theory, put the watch AI turns and unit movements to "ON"

Then watch some turns, I think everything is just fine.

Are you looking to release another version during the weekend or sometime next week, Xeryx?
    The restarts are starting to get to me, so I just wanted to make sure...

all the army don't move, i have the last beta on turn 75, vh/vh

scotland , t. order, russia are all dead.

mr costa..not quite sure what you mean about the armies don't move. I could be a load save bug. looks like the mongols are doing well. no new version. I had to get those bugs out. have fun playing guys.

The Mongols doing very well. They attack in my aktuall Campaign Russia and the Turks. This is in my opinion very good for the Balance of the Campaign, because the Turks getting very strong. A question about Ireland. After the clearance of Ireland the don't attack any else? For example Scotland, Norway or Spain...

ireland never leaves the island....

not sure why, but realistically, they are not a super power! maybe there is a conflict with the goals. Just remember this guys..ALL catholic factions are using the same AI. So if other factions do the things needed, then it is something specifically with the factions part of the code..I am sure that Dave or PWF224 could look into that. Maybe we need to a game or with any "Faction goals" What do you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    Maybe we need to a game or with any "Faction goals" What do you guys think.
    Such as no Victory conditions except hold "x" amount of regions?

i think the campaign AI in rtw or vanila mtw2 does well in expanding by naval ( such as brutii, scipii towards minor asia, carthage or moors, portugal against england and france in vanilla )
    if any1 understands how the AI works then plz take alook and find a way to make the game more interesting. Ireland or Norway are fixed in their islands and it makes playing france or TO too boring coz no enemies from the sea.
    Btw i tried to do sth with the descr_sm_factions and i found there 'prefers_naval_invasion' option. With it on most factions did load some units and move to the nearby islands but then didnt embark and attack , only milan and sicily took the slave settlements, scotland and ireland dindt touch castle town and jerusalem and turks didnt attack byzantines islands. Maybe there should be something else to be changed in order to make em invade other factions island?
    It would be nice to play the late game with all factions keeping expanding and building up huge high tech armies. Im losing my interest in playing coz after turn 60 - 80 most island factions stop expanding and stay at their homes with huge armies enough to conquer the world.

You don't even need to have the hold "X" number of regions.

You do have to have a file called " descr_win_conditions.txt " in the campaign folder with the "descr_strat.txt" or you get a CTD.

A lot of the time I will empty the "hold_regions", bump the "take_regions" to 175 and change all the "outlive" to whatever faction I'm playing.

Another thing that I have tried too....is to change all the factions in the "descr_sm_factions" to prefer navel invasions....these minor changes can make for an interesting albeit non-historical campaign....lol....imagine the surprise of having a boatload of Mongols showing up on your French Riviera when you thought they were way back east terrorizing the vast Russian Steppes....

Napoleon Bonaparte