Thread: Medieval 2: Total War

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Default Medieval 2: Total War

I have a reputation on this site of sorts for what I think of m2tw and how vocal I can be about it. Here then is my take on m2tw.

M2tw is without a doubt the most disappointing game I have played mainly because of how its potential was squandered and how the developers lied. It’s more depressing, because when the game works it's great fun.

For the sake of not having fanboys close this review before actually reading why this game actually isn’t the “b34t TTOAL WARR EVARR!!!111”n I’ll cover the things I like about the game before I open the floodgates

Medieval 2 total war is a remake of Medieval: Total War, the second game in the Total War series. It features the same sort of gameplay as the previous games in the series. You have the strategic campaign map overview part of the game and tactical real time 3d battles with thousands of troops which you also fully control.

The campaign map part of the game involves you constructing buildings and training armies. You have economical buildings to increase your income or trade, like farms and markets, as well as military buildings like barracks and bowyers to train your military.

A new feature of M2:TW is that settlements are either cities or castles now, rather than just every settlement being the same. A castle focuses on training troops: Strong infantry and cavalry can be trained here, as well as good archers. They also have far better defense than towns, high level castles have multiple rings of defences, depending on the castle and can be upgraded with deadler defences like gun towers. The population is also more loyal in castles than cities. The drawbacks of castles are that the tax rate can’t be changed and they produce much less income than cities.

Cities are your economic strongholds. They feature huge populations and fast population growth. giving a large tax income and support advanced farming and economical buildings. They can only train weaker unit types like militia level troops and tend to have few types of cavalry to train. Oddly towns support gunpowder troops and they can only be trained there. Castles only feature trainable gunpowder artillery. Another new feature is that towns and castles support a few units for free, depending on their size. You do not need to pay upkeep for these troops and they are shown as blue unit cards on the unit panel on the campaign map.

Another new feature on the campaign map is that the pope is much more noticeable and interactive. The papacy shows up as a proper faction this time around and has ratings for each faction in the game. The higher ranked a faction is the more chance the pope will listen to what they want and the better he will treat them. Attacking catholic factions and allying with Muslims will lower your rating with him and he will treat you badly giving you missions where failure will mean excommunication or simply excommunicating you. Having papal favour is very useful as the pope will turn a blind eye to an extent if you attack Catholics, but will penalize them very quickly if they attack you back. Using diplomacy you can bribe the pope and manipulate him to gain an advantage against other factions. This time around there are also papal elections when the pope dies. When this happens the College of Cardinals, made up of all factions most pious priests vote on who will be the next pope. You can rig the election by attempting to bribe other factions to vote for you and cast your own vote. Depending on what faction the new pope came from he might hate you or like you and it also affects his disposition towards other factions. If your pope is elected he will be very biased towards your faction, tho annoyingly you can’t directly control him.

The 3d battles side of the game is the same as RTW only much better and/or worse for reasons stated later in this review

The battle animations are much better and there are now canned combos of sorts like you might see a spearmen smash his opponent in the face with the haft of his spear then stab him with it before he can get up. While these animations are nice, they don’t always line up making them look glitchy and they really don’t add anything to the game. Melee as a whole doesn’t look too bad but RTW’s looked better. M2tws melee just looks slow and too choreographed and unnatural.

Graphically the game is far better than Rome. Troops are very nicely detailed and look very realistic when they aren’t fighting at least and battlefields look MUCH better than Rome with much better grass and trees, far better looking sky textures and great looking cities.

M2tws sound is also excellent. Battle sounds are great indeed, especially for archers and gun units. Melee has lots of new sounds and you can hear men saying things in melee. Voice acting is good as well. There are some annoying bits like the fact that almost every unit has a generic “infantry” “cavalry” etc acknowledgement, compared to Rome where troops always said their own name or a nice quote like “Rome’s finest”. Having this boring speech seems a bit lazy. Pre battle speeches range from boring to very funny or cool. A major black mark again the sound is this really annoying voice over that says things like if you are winning or losing the battle or telling you your troops are under fire, when you ALREADY KNOW this stuff. This feature just stinks of noobishness and it’s a wonder why it’s in there as it’s the same stuff every battle and gets extremely annoying.

There aren’t too many differences in actual gameplay from Rome except for the fact there’s medieval type units like gunpowder infantry and cavalry and artillery and a lot of knights and the like. Battles take longer this time around as even the weakest units have quite a lot or morale and melee takes allot longer, as kill rates are lower and units move slower. Melee can be pretty silly as said above, its very slow sometimes and it looks silly seeing swordsmen swing around in slow motion. One plus is that general’s bodyguards aren’t stupidly powerful like in Rome. This time it’s far easier to kill generals. Armies also start further away from each other ensuring there’s a lot more room to manoeuvre and there are far more hills and the like allowing for much more strategy with the larger battlefields.

One thing that’s an improvement over Rome is there is far less generic “Barbarian Cavalry” type units. All units have a name and model and have more personality than Rome’s units did. You can see that CA tried to make factions different and it’s appreciated. Sadly only the beginning factions have battle speeches. A lot of factions like Scotland and all the Muslim factions only have crappy one liner speeches with nowhere near the detail that factions like England and Spain have. This is similar to the way that only Roman factions in RTW had good speeches.

Depressingly all this good stuff is partly squandered because of some horrible bugs and hangovers from RTW. There are so many and they are so in your face and obvious and partly break the game.

Top of the list is the 2hand and general combat bugs. There is a bug with units that use two handed weapons, such as large axes, halberds and the like. This bug completely neuters any units with two handed weapons. It was the worst on release because the game shipped with hardly any 2handed animations, so they would charge into the melee and just stand there as the enemy killed them except for the occasional canned combo animation.

Note thus is in the RELEASE gold version of the game.

After the first patch they were sort of fixed, as in they could attack but they still were too slowly animated and since m2tw is based on actually hitting rather than number crunching they lose to just about anything. Things got even worse when the last patch was released, as that fixed the shield bug that has existed since the release version of Rome total war that caused shields to have a negative defence bonus instead of positive.

This means that all units with shields got a big increase to their defence from their now working shields and this made two handed units even more useless as their attack and defence was unchanged and as a result they became much, much weaker and can’t beat anyone. You see things like the first and weakest knight easily beating Gothic Knights, a very expensive knight that the Holy Roman Empire gets at the very end of its tech tree. Horrible. This makes certain factions like Poland with its polearms and Turkey with its Janissary Heavy Infantry polearm troops useless as their best troops don’t work.

Pike units are useless, as they just don’t use pikes correctly. A pike unit will change to swords almost instantly after it’s attacked instead of using the spearwall and holding the enemy. Spearwall just never works: every time they just put away their pikes or keep raising them letting the cavalry get close enough for the pikemen to start using their swords anyway. When they actually keep their pikes out, they do this animation where they walk forwards stabbing with their pikes. If they don’t kill the enemies their walking eventually carrying them get close enough to the enemy to – again - use their swords.

Pikemen are useless with swords as they have horrible defense stats and without shields they die very quickly. This makes every pike unit useless, and this really hurts Scotland, as they use a lot of pike units.

There is also a problem with gun units as they routinely get stuck reforming or raise their weapons to shoot but never do, especially when under fire they sit there and sit there without shooting back until they rout. You have to manually move them, which makes them fire an empty volley with no actual bullets and then move. There’s no excuse why this wasn’t fixed, as it works fine in kingdoms and gun units work just as you’d expect.

If missile units or units with alternate weapons are ordered to charge, often they run up to melee range THEN change from bows to swords or whatnot. It also takes soldiers an incredible amount of time to turn around literally two seconds or turning each way.

As you can see there are almost no units than aren’t at least slightly bugged and some are so bugged to be unusable.

Besides the actual game effects, the graphics might be visibly proficient, but technically they are busted. Cavalry sit around when fighting other cavalry and look at each other. When they fight infantry they thrash and spaz around like their arms are rubber, spearmen do the same animations over and over, two handed axemen use incredibly slow dumb looking animations like they are using table legs as weapons, peasants attack at hyper speed and block sword hits like it’s made of cardboard and everyone dies in the same exact animation if they are hit from in front or behind. Cavalry always have the same animation no matter what kills them. Gun units routinely do the animation of them firing but there’s no muzzle flash and the game’s unit animations as a whole just look rather wooden, in stark contrast to how good the graphics actually look. RTW’s animations were better.
    Another major problem is the diplomacy. Despite the fact that the games hype actually mentioned diplomacy being a valid way of playing the game it is every bit as bad as RTW’s, just a bit more complex. The same stuff happens: you get backstabbed out of nowhere, you get ridiculous offers when you’re destroying a faction like ceasefires with 10,000 to be paid by your you can’t stay at peace with anyone the second they share a border you’ll be attacked.

They don’t need a reason to invade you you’ll be peaceful stay off their land trade with them etc and they will just attack you when they feel like it.

Following are videos of most of the glitches created by me.

Passive AI

A siege showing terrible pathfinding and various other bugs

Stuck units

More Passive AI

All up, while medieval 2 does advance the series a bit and the graphics are certainly miles better and when the game works properly its great fun as it has that classic total war gameplay. If you’re a fan of the series you’ll at least like it. Annoyingly it often doesn’t work. With another patch or two this game could be as close to perfect as the total war series has gotten.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; December 15, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: My review of Medieval 2: Total War

Very interesting awesome review I personelly had none of the bugs so I can't quote your logic but you made good strong points.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

I experience the passive units problem quite a lot, though not enough to ruin battles. The problem with combat also irks me, that a unit attacking can keep beating the sword down upon his foe until he submits and said foe can't do anything about it because he's always recovering from the last blow.

But the battle AI is better than Rome's, way better, and the pathfinding in RTW was just plain terrible at times (especially when trying to navigate entire armies in city streets).

All his complaints about the animations are valid, in my experience at least, though it isn't frequent enough to condemn the game. Good review.

I wonder why I never had any problems? I've played all the way back to Shogun and I never experianced one bug. Althought I did have a glitch very funny people sank into the ground as they fought until they died and fell under the ground.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    I wonder why I never had any problems? I've played all the way back to Shogun and I never experianced one bug. Althought I did have a glitch very funny people sank into the ground as they fought until they died and fell under the ground.
    I'm not sure if your just a blind fan of ca or what but if you've never seen a m2tw bug you must be blinking pretty often.

No I've never seen a bug in my life except in mods. I not a great fan of CA.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    No I've never seen a bug in my life except in mods. I not a great fan of CA.
    Of course not. I guess i faked the videos and am lying my socks off them.:hmmm:

Gosh no I said I haven't seen any but I take your word as it was a nice review.

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

M2tw is awesome, and this is a strange place to post bad things about M2tw. but its a well done reveiw all the same. +rep
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Citizen

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Good to see there arent all fanboys who would shoot my revierw down which is what i was expecting.

Knight no its not its buggy as hell as stated in my review. Kingdoms is better but not perfect I'll be doing a review on that as well. Frankly people like you who ignore the bugs and call it awesome is why its buggy in the first place. After all of people eat it up bugs and all whats the point of fixing it to them?

Well the only things happened to me are funny ones and they're not really bugs. I had a guy get stuck in mid-air once and flew like super man yet was still able to kill people.

Owain Glyndŵr's Avatar Semisalis

Your points are more than reasonable; I suppose it falls to our dear modding community to fix these bugs when CA won't.

As for the voiceovers, that has always seriously bothered me. If only we had some good voice actors.

[SIGPIC]http://www.twcenter.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic46560_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

My post on the political profile thread.

Formerly known as Ford_King.

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

well, ETW seems to have hired Mr. Blessed
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

I personally love M2tw. Almost as much a Rome. I think M2tw has flaws but I think that it also has good things. I love role playing in game. I love making goals for myself. But then that may be just me
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Roman Knight's Avatar Campidoctor

Apart from the pikes, which are easily fixed, I've experienced none of those and genuinely think that M2 is a better game. Sure, RTW was a better game for its time, but I think you're suffering from a bad case of nostalgia.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

i ll chip in for the main grviances:

Passive AI

very true for vanilla with mods improved, not perfect but acceptable

A siege showing terrible pathfinding and various other bugs

siege has exploits (attacking as defender and retreating to the castle, or destroying a whole army with balistas moved out of the city walls)
    with mods pathfinding is not so bad at all, maybe even a patched vanilla. empire total war sieges - thats bad, unplayable pathfinding in my book

Stuck units
    also happened in rome ocasionally. not a gamebraker but annoying at times. again with mods (and maybe patched up vanilla) this is a very rare occurence

More Passive AI

see above. since TW went on a 3D map both CAI and BAI are the main grievance until Empire TW which fails worse in many other fields that make the game ideotic

--------------------------

gameplay was a steady downfall since shogun. the game got tons of new features since shogun but the ai never evolved with them. ETW beeing the climax. expecting the next version to follow the tradition of slow downfall i cant see how anybody will be able to enjoy the next total war game. i cant even enjoy empire anymore - m2tw i could enjoy and still play despite some new grievances.

This means that all units with shields got a big increase to their defence from their now working shields and this made two handed units even more useless as their attack and defence was unchanged and as a result they became much, much weaker and can’t beat anyone. You see things like the first and weakest knight easily beating Gothic Knights, a very expensive knight that the Holy Roman Empire gets at the very end of its tech tree. Horrible. This makes certain factions like Poland with its polearms and Turkey with its Janissary Heavy Infantry polearm troops useless as their best troops don’t work.
    The factions are not useless unless you are just plain terrible with the other units.

Pike units are useless, as they just don’t use pikes correctly. A pike unit will change to swords almost instantly after it’s attacked instead of using the spearwall and holding the enemy. Spearwall just never works: every time they just put away their pikes or keep raising them letting the cavalry get close enough for the pikemen to start using their swords anyway. When they actually keep their pikes out, they do this animation where they walk forwards stabbing with their pikes. If they don’t kill the enemies their walking eventually carrying them get close enough to the enemy to – again - use their swords.
    This always weirded me out since pikes worked so well with RTW. 100% accurate and deserving critique for the game...although I know of no one who bothers to use pikes...

"Pikemen are useless with swords as they have horrible defense stats and without shields they die very quickly. This makes every pike unit useless, and this really hurts Scotland, as they use a lot of pike units."

Again, very valid complaint. However, I did manage to hold off a Danish army with pikemen and order swordsmen.

Cavalry always have the same animation no matter what kills them.
    This is just silly nitpicking. Thats like saying the Age of Empires games sucks because all the units use the same animations when attacked, moving, and dying. Same goes for XIII century, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, and so forth.

Another major problem is the diplomacy. Despite the fact that the games hype actually mentioned diplomacy being a valid way of playing the game it is every bit as bad as RTW’s, just a bit more complex. The same stuff happens: you get backstabbed out of nowhere, you get ridiculous offers when you’re destroying a faction like ceasefires with 10,000 to be paid by your you can’t stay at peace with anyone the second they share a border you’ll be attacked.
    Actually, based on my experience, some factions seem programmed to attack you regardless. Like as the HRE, Milan, Venice, and Denmark are guaranteed to attack me, while France and Poland have delayed their betrayals well into the later portions of the game. And of course the AI will attack whoever is bordering them! Where do you want them to expand? Would it be sane for Denmark to attack Italy which has no borders near them? When I play, Knights of Honor, EUIII, Hearts of Iron 3, and so on, I always figure that my neighbors will attack me at any time! As the Teutonic Knights in EUIII, it is guaranteed that Poland, Lithuania, and Novgorod will declare war on me. Do I frag the game for that? Heck no. In M2TW the best allies I have ever had have been those who have no borders near me. Same thing with EUIII, Hearts of Iron, and so on...Why? Because they have nothing to fear from someone who is not near them.

The main faults with the AI is that they never know when to stop the war they have gotten themselves into. The word Peace means nothing to them even when they have lost half of their empire.

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

I never really noticed such a huge flaw in the AI until I read this review. The most obvious bug I have found so far is cavalry not doing what you order them to, but yeah there are many more. Another one not mentioned above - only the frontline will actually attack the enemy, while those not directly at the front will wander around looking at each other and occasionally get themselves lost especially in city battles.
    "I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus

Finally a (worthy?) sequel to XCOM?

Write a review for just about anything

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

I've experienced passive units a lot with archers. But they sometimes get logical and its quite nice. For my m2tw is the best rather than worst. This review was nice, but I'll stick to my experience.
    His highness, þeþurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

One of the best reviews on M2TW that I have read so far, good job ForlornHope!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar