Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Clarus/Caelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Clarus/Caelinus

Trade with Greece and Epirus can bring in money, and if Carthage agrees to a peace settlement, we can begin trade anew. But if it shows that this is not enough then we can advice our Quastor to focus on constructing roads and markets in two seasons.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

ooc: Honestly...does this help us?

OOC: Honestly? I have no idea...
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

ooc: I don't think that foreign trade markets (or whatever) actually help the economy.

OoC: That's what I'm saying--they don't. They're just mini-colonies in that they increase hapiness and decrease population growth.

I don't think yaelthecruel knew this when he decided to construct them:

To be able to distribute the wealth trough all of Italia in the best way, a priority was given to trade, given that such buildings would boost our new trading agreements with nations in the east. Because of this, most regions's markets have been set to upgrade to the next level. The whole idea of this construction plan is to improve and increase trade trough all of Italy, which will allow us to increase the gold in our coffins, money which could be used for the war, were it to continue...
    No biggie, just a fact about EB that we didn't all know. Would it be OK to have yael/Herrenius go back and modify his choices in the light of this new information? Ofc we have to do this before the turn ends, so please decide quickly.

ooc: Yes, don't take it like I am attacking you in any way- I didn't even know what they were for. Gotta love that extra little tid bit from the EB team.

Sorry if it seems I have been hard on the quaestors, it's not necessarily you yeal, just the lack of importance we seem to place on it. It's really a vital role.

OOC: Absolutely change it, it would be sucky if we went throught that entire debate and voting upon the distribution of mnai and we constructed things that didnt even work, it is in no way relfective upon yael as I would have thought the same thing.

IC:

Decimus rises,

"Senators, It has been a long time since I have seen a report on the status and disposition of our troops, If the Consuls could give us such a report I would... appreciate... it. After all it is my sacred job, as part of an ancient family that fought with the Brutii themselves, to ensure that there is not a single soldier out there that is not approved by this august body.

Decimus sits,

I eagerly await the report..."
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

A report will be compiled before the senate about our troops in the field, as well as our garrisons.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ooc: Ok, I've put up a message to not end the turn, I'll inform yael of this, so we can avoid wasting money.

OOC: ok, srry . It's the only time ever I've played EB so it was weird seeing all the buildings (I honestly just said "well, that building kinda looks like a market, so, why not?"). I actually wanted to build more roads, but they are more expensive, and as I said before I wanted to distribute the money so that all the cities would get a new building.
    I'll make a new report ASAP.

@Pontifex: no problem man .
    Also, sorry for posting late, I know I havent been around too much lately...
    Last edited by Ozy; December 18, 2008 at 01:51 PM.

Senators! I have returned with a compilation of information regarding the military state of the Republic of Rome! My attendants have gathered information from the Legion and every city in the Republic. The situation is not entirely perfect, many of our cities are under-guarded or without any garrison troops at all! Thus I present this to you, the state of Rome and her troops! This information is not entirely accurate, since it took my attendants time to return (ooc: I dunno what happened but in the latest save that was put up, the legion hadn't moved out of the city. Anyone know what happened?) and thus the Legion is not in the city it was in.
    But that is not important since it has not changed in size.
    Without further ado:
    The Legion with her fighting men.

Troops underway to reinforce the city if Lilibeo, since the Legion has left it would have been without garrison were it not for these troops.

The garrison of Messana.

The garrison of Rhegion, this city has only one of our commanders and his bodyguard, thus it must be reinforced!

The garrison of Tyras, too low for this city, the people are becoming lawless, small crimes are becoming commonplace thus this city is another one that must be reinforced as soon as possible.

The garrison of Rome, currently enough to keep order, though even if Rome is the center of the world, in a city this size trouble springs up. Thus we must keep our eye on the slums and streets.

The garrison of Capua, this city is showing signs of unrest but the presence of the Legion shall sort that out. Also, many of the people shall be recruited for the ranks in the Legion, thus making the job of the garrison easier.

The garrison of Arpi. This city has no problems with keeping the order, though several administrators have complained to me about a stagnation of public growth. It seems as if as many people leave this city as are born or come to it. This is something to keep in mind.

The garrison of Arretium. It is non-existent, thus again, we must recruit men to patrol the streets as soon as possible. As consul, I will not allow the cities of the Republic cities to be awash with criminals. Senators, I implore you, think on this.

Ariminum has no governor at the moment, also something to think about.

Thus senators, most of our cities have a garrison, but several do not. Seeing as several of the senators have complained about threats to the north and east, and seeing as there will always be people intent on disturbing order, it might be wise to insure there is at least one regiment of standing men in each city. This will protect us from both external and internal threats.
    Senators, please discuss, and if you have a need for further detail do not hesitate to ask.

ooc at yael: no biggie man, EB is a huge mod that drives me nuts simply from the loading times, just forget about the buildings or units...

Excellent work, and I thank you for your report, but shouldn't the legion in Lilibeo already be in route to Capua?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: You can't be playing around with Sicily now that its a province. Any and all updates go through the governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

New financial plan:

I believe this plan should allow us increase our income and help us finance the war.

ooc: I tried to say it a bit, but apparently it didn't come over. I don't know what's happening, but I've seen Ponti's screens that show the legion underway, yet in the last save that yael put up they are still in Lilibeo. I don't know if that is due to different saves that have been downloaded, or something else, but it doesn't matter. We need the save with the Legion being fartest ahead.
    @ Winter, I don't intend to play with it. Since it is your province, you'll have to do garrisons and such etc. This report just shows the garrisons. All the remarks for garrison recruitment is for cities on the mainland.

Excellent work, Herrenius. I support the Quaestor's plan and I thank him for his efforts.

ooc: So you're not going to move the legion, Winter?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Yes I am, I'm just pointing out that he shouldn't know about the garrisions etc. Its fine though.

Titus stands to speak

I like the quaestor's plan with one exception. Why are we upgrading auxiliary army infrastructure in Arretium? When was the last time Arretium was anywhere near a front in a war? Is there no economic improvement that could benefit the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Decimus glares at Titus,

I see nothing wrong with wrong with upgrading our military structure the city IS near the Gallic border it will be useful when we wage war against them to be able to train higher quality troops.

As for the disposition of our troops, it's horrendous and a waste of money, we have higher quality men being left to guard cities...

I therefore propose the following motion

1) That the main legion on its way to Mainland Italy gather the better quality troops. We would need to coordinate with the current Proconsul of Italy, as he has high quality soldiers guarding cities, and they just don't need to be there.

Then after we gather the high quality troops

2) Reassign low quality, cheap troops to guard duty, no less than 2 squads per city, no more than 4, we allow these men to bring their families and recieve compensation for guarding their respective cities. We do this so that we don't have to disband them, they will already be home. (RP FTW!)

3) Once the Main legion is trained and ready to go place them in a fort outside of Ariminium, slightly towards the north so that we can keep our eye on our northern neigbors.

If no one has any objections and I would think not on a proposal as simple and straightforward as this, then please lets put this to a vote.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Erm, Crassus, we are going to attack Sardinia with that legion. Why would we place the legion on our northern border to...sit there? Additionally, there is no proconsul of Italy.

Secondly, we do not border Gaul to the north. We border free states.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; December 18, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

OoC: A few things here that we need to go over regarding EB:

Local Levy is useless in a Homeland Province because there are no non-Italian natives (i.e., the building can't recruit any troops!). Thus, Winter and Grandis Latro's points are both moot because the building won't assist us in war anyway.

Gratin Storage increases population growth, nothing else. Which is fine I suppose, especially for a high public order/low population city such as Arpi. I just wanted to clarify that it doesn't increase income.

Ic: Praetor Scipio, Etruria does border Gaul. Cisalpine Gaul is just as Celtic in culture as Transalpine Gaul. The Gallic tribes therein are every bit as barbaric and uncouth as their northern neighbors and should not be trusted.

EDIT: One more thing senators. Is the proconsul moving his legion north to Capua as commanded? We could do with an update on the location of this legion, it is vital to our war with Carthage.
    Last edited by Sir James the Good; December 18, 2008 at 07:14 PM.