Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041

Thread: Spartan versus Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Polemides
    You have got to be ****ing with me now. Ok wiseguy, go to your weight set (you DO have one, don't you?), take a twenty pound weight into your left hand. Now hold your left forearm parallel to the ground while holding that weight. Tell me how long you manage for. Go on and take your time.

Then when you're done with that, come back here and actually try to refute my point instead of being a broken record.
    you seem to be under the impression that a soldier would hold a shield in that manner while marching the many many kilometers that they do before reaching a battle..and in the case of a 1 on 1 fight that begins once the 2 people are within fighting distance, the fight wouldn't last long enough for the weight to matter, but just to **** you off, i just did what you asked, and the weight is insignificant enough that i can virtually go on indefinitely if someone asked me to

Sorry apathy, you have officially lost all credibility if you're trying to feed us this BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    Sorry apathy, you have officially lost all credibility if you're trying to feed us this BS.
    maybe you should drop your ego long enough to see that just because something is beyond your comprehension or capability, that doesn't mean that no one else can do it easily

the funniest thing is that i'm not even that strong by a weightlifter's standards...benchpress 200lbx5 rep strict form, deadlift 225lbx10 rep strict form just a month ago before i started my new job

Then do it. I want you to hold it for maybe an hour or two.

And no, I'm not under the impression that hoplites carried their shields like that while marching. They had servants to hump their gear to the battlefield. In fact, many of them only had their armor put on as they advanced towards the enemy. Battle could last anywhere up to a couple hours. The guys in the front definately had to hold their shields for that long, the only ones who got a break were the ones who had their shield straps give way or those who were killed. There is a reason why the shield was the first thing to go when a rout began, and why coming home with your shield even after a defeat was looked upon as a courageous thing.

In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    United States Marine as of 3/31/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Polemides
    Then do it. I want you to hold it for maybe an hour or two.

And no, I'm not under the impression that hoplites carried their shields like that while marching. They had servants to hump their gear to the battlefield. In fact, many of them only had their armor put on as they advanced towards the enemy. Battle could last anywhere up to a couple hours. The guys in the front definately had to hold their shields for that long, the only ones who got a break were the ones who had their shield straps give way or those who were killed. There is a reason why the shield was the first thing to go when a rout began, and why coming home with your shield even after a defeat was looked upon as a courageous thing.
    you seem to have forgotten that the reason for this argument is because the thread is about a 1 on 1 fight, not a full-fledged battle

Yet you keep claiming that twenty pounds (which by the way is a better average than seventeen) is absolutely nothing, and you could hold that much weight in a shield up position for hours and hours without any concern. Sounds like :wub: to me. Perhaps you are just trying to seem macho tough (which is pretty silly on a gaming forum full of males), I don't know. I could choke down your point if the only thing you said a twenty pound shield wouldn't hinder a trained hoplite to any significant degree during a brief one on one duel. But you then throw in the "insignificant for an indefinate period of time", and I'm going to call :wub:.

In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    United States Marine as of 3/31/2006

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This thread has done one important thing. Its shown that the Spartiate has been just as heavily bullsh!ticised as the samurai.
    Team Member <3

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    Oh, the expert speaks, well I can't argue against that then.

Shoulder, not soldier.
    bah, ignore me when i talk before i think

MareNostrum's Avatar Wanted: Dead or Alive
    The Netherlands. For those white trailer trash who dont know: Its a small country in Europe.

=>One of those topics in which the debate pretty much has gone, and things are more focused on repeating the same arguments.

=> its not necessary to type like this, really redundant!

=>Freddie, dont double post

=> feel free to reopen a new topic, related to shield and weight, or katana, or spartan, or samurai..

Send me a PM if you got anything reasonable to say... (1,00 euro per message)

Proud Patron of: Antea, Archer, Banzai Kamikaze, Dromikaites, Ldvs
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam