Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedge Formation

Default Re: Wedge Formation

@Incomitatus. U said u let them run through, that has nothing to do with the charge, and isnt the purpouse. The purpouse is to charge in wedge formation!!!
    What u do is nothing but cav bug in medieavl 2. U can run through normal formation, they kill faster, and get through in both formatuions.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by PlautusLeo View Post
    @Incomitatus. U said u let them run through, that has nothing to do with the charge, and isnt the purpouse. The purpouse is to charge in wedge formation!!!
    What u do is nothing but cav bug in medieavl 2. U can run through normal formation, they kill faster, and get through in both formatuions.
    You are quite correct in most cases a line charge kills faster, but the purpose of a wedge charge is as Incomitatus stated to get thru and then reform to affect moral of the army and then attack the rear on the units and not simply kill faster on the initial charge. To be honest, I do not use the wedge charge very often and never at the early stages of a campaign. But it is a good option if you cannot simply out flank the entire army and the opposition has little held in reserve.

ridiculuos, I say this formation is useless.
    THe advicsor says (more charge power on a smaller spot)
    and yet only 3 knights charge, the rest just stopps. Its useless, period!

Wedge has its uses. While line has more outright killing power, wedge, if properly commanded, allows better mobility of the formation. In times when morale effect of charge is more important than the amount of kills, or when you want to punch through a weak spot in the line to take out enemy ranged units behind it or reform and charge the enemy in the back, wedge will serve you better than line.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

A wedge by it's very nature has a very small impact point - it's purpose is to slice through and divide resistance, not only in military application, momentum and angle doing that job. Ever sliced a bread with a hammer?

'Charging' means 'to rush an enemy' - and it doesn't matter a bit in what form or what your kill ration expectation about it is.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I have seen a computer tactic often that I cannot understand. For example, a mailed knight will charge in the wedge formation at a company of dismounted Polish nobles at the end of a line formation. I would usually swing wider and reform for flanking charge to break the end company of such an infantry line and not in a wedge formation. Is there some advantage to using the wedge formation on the end of an infantry line? Is so, it is news to me. My wild guess is that after contact, the wedge is easier to turn, but that is only a guess.

Also, is the regiment captain near or at the front of the wedge? I ask because if that cavalry regiment is the general of the army, they seem die quickly when the wedge is flanked.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The general is at the end corner I would presume.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12