Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Mount&Blade AAR) "The Lion and the Eagle"

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Default (Mount&Blade AAR) "The Lion and the Eagle"

Greetings, friends.

To keep things short, I decided to make an AAR about my character and his experiences - which are random (I write the story as my game goes) Any criticism is welcome. Whether it be about the story or grammar. English isn't my first language anyway...

First, some info about my AAR.
    Mod: A modded version of the Eagle and the Radiant Cross for 1.011
    Lore: I included the original lore of the mod (introduction) with some minor additions of my own.
    Cheats: Solely for roleplay purposes.
    Photoshop/Aesthetics: Only some minor effects. HDR by Tuls and Urscas.
    Vinci: Inspired by the faction of the same name from the Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends game.

And now, without further ado:

Introduction

Calradia - a place torn by the constant struggles for power by the nations that inhabit it. To the North, Queen Imelda Loeher of the Kingdom of Lauria commands a large expeditionary force with the intent of subjugating Calradia, but is met with stern resistance by Kaiser Frederick Wilhem of the Imperial State. To the East, civil war erupts; transforming the Dual Monarchy into the Tsardom of Vaegirs led by Feodor the Great. Massive genocides ensue, but with the threat of the Laurians right at their doorstep, the Vaegirs still manage to raise large armies despite numerous defeats from the advanced might of the Laurian war machine.

Centered at the heartlands of Calradia, lie the oldest civilization - the Holy Swadian Empire. The last true remnant of the old Calradian Empire. After losing much land to the Khergit Horde and the Ellis Empire with nearly no resistance from the Swadians, Emperor Sigismund Augustus finally manages to rally his forces and engages the invaders that sparks what is known as the 30 Years War, which resulted in victory for Swadia. The Khergits were pushed back beyond the mountains and the Ellis lands were conquered, pillaged, and burned. Emperor Nikephoros of the Ellis Empire is burned at the stake with his last words cursing Augustus and his royal family.

Months later, Prince Maximilian Augustus is captured by the armies of the Lion Throne and is later killed. Upon hearing the news of their son's death, Empress Adelheid suffers from a stroke and dies. Madness soon overcomes Sigismund. The loss of his family was simply too much for him to bear; he quickly becomes paranoid, seeing everyone (even those who were deeply loyal to him) as potential enemies. Emperor Sigismund soon orders the deaths of several lords for supposed treason. He even exiled his own brother, Archduke Leopold and several other relatives.

Dark clouds now hover over the skies of Swadia. The Pope and his armies mobilize and quickly seized the lands which originally belonged to the former Ellis Empire. The armies of Swadia, now weak and disoriented, lack the resources and the leadership to effectively repel the Pope's numerous legions. To make matters worse, rumors of large war parties spotted throughout the barren steppes sends despair to all of Swadia - the Khergits have returned.

Chapter 1: The Tower has Touched the Walls

My name is Giacomo Xavier Vinci, of the great House of Vinci. My people have proudly served Swadia for many years, acting as the ironfist of the Emperor. But in spite of the recent events, we are starting to question whether it's wise to give our lives for the sake of a madman. Emperor Sigismund has always treated us well in the past, but after the fair Adelheid and the modest Maximilian passed away, the man has sank into pure madness. He sees conspiracy where there is none. So much so that he has ordered the execution of anyone who disagrees with his views - deranged as they are.

Yet, I must honor the pledge my ancestors made so long ago. Although with reluctance...

April 3, 1495: On the outskirts of Vienna.

The Khergit horde has made their way north from Narra into the Dark Forest along with the help of the Ellisians. Reindi and Senuzgda castle has already repelled several siege attempts, but I fear they won't be able to last long without reinforcements.

Several days have passed. Most of the Khergits seem to have retreated south, possibly attempting to regroup. Those that remained, aided the Ellisians wreak havoc among our trade caravans. Emperor Sigismund, accompanied by several lords, intercept them. A large battle ensues.

I received a letter ordering every available commander to rally their forces near the Dark Forest. The Emperor requires aid. Before I could past the gates, several local merchants came to me saying that their caravan was attacked by raiders just a few miles east of Vienna. I decided that I would help these people first and quickly make my way to Emperor Sigismund.

I have arrived at the sight of the alleged caravan attack. To my surprise, they weren't alone. Battle formations blanketed the land. At first I thought they were an advancing enemy army, but then I saw the banners of Lord Ludwig flying high above the formations. If I had known that someone else had already sent aid to these merchants, I would have made my way straight to Sigismund instead of wasting precious time here. But it was already too late to go back.

As we were nearing the Swadian battle line, Lord Ludwig, accompanied by several of his personal guards, approach me and my men.

[Lord Ludwig] "Lord Giacomo!"

[Giacomo] "Greetings, Lord Ludwig. I see that the Emperor has given you the privilege of commanding an army. Indeed these are dark days when leaders think children can command men."

[Lord Ludwig] "Ha! So you fancy yourself a comedian these days?"

[Giacomo] "Only when you're around, old friend."

[Lord Ludwig] "I'll have you know that I was given the honor of commanding Swadia's army after proving myself during the siege of Marienburg. I led the garrison to victory despite of being hugely outnumbered. But, I'm sure that you're not here just to poke fun at me all day. Tell me, what brings you here?"

[Giacomo] "It is good to hear that, Ludwig. But I am here after some merchants asked me to aid a caravan that was being raided. But seeing as that you're here, I assume the problem has been taken care of?"

[Lord Ludwig] "No, not yet, I'm afraid. The caravan was indeed attacked. But not by simple raiders. Apparently, the caravan bumped into a Khergit warband. They say that they number around 260. They probably exaggerate, as war bands tend to number around 150. In any case, my men and I were on our way to complete a task when we encountered the survivors."

From the distance, a horn followed by several instruments blast across the horizon.

[Lord Ludwig] "Well, well. I'm guessing they're here. Would you mind helping an old friend out? It'll just be like the time when we defeated the Khergit siege of Vienna long ago."

[Giacomo] "No doubt that it'll be as great as old times friend, but... Very well, my men and I shall fight beside you."

[Lord Ludwig] "Excellent! The Emperor's trust in you Vinci folk are well placed it seems."

And so, I prepare my men for battle. Knowing that Khergit warbands are mostly comprised of horsemen, I ordered my men to form squares with halberds pointing out in every direction while my missile troops safely fire their arquebuses from within the formation. The caravan guards shall protect the middle with Ludwig's men guarding the right flanks while I hold the left flank.

There was a brief moment of silence where only the war drums can be heard as the Khergits advance. It wasn't long until the first wave of riders clash with Swadian and Vinci steel.

We under-estimated the strength of the Khergit horses. They managed to make gaps within our battle lines with their ferocious charge.

But despite this minor setback, my men bravely fend off any attacker who would approach.

I was amazed by the caravan guards' vigor and their stalwart stand against against such foes. I honestly didn't expect them to last this long.

After several hours into the battle, our numbers were almost depleted. We have under-estimated the Khergit's strength, and now we paid the price. I sent a runner to call in the reserves.

With our numbers bolstered, and the left flanks secure, we moved towards Lord Ludwig's forces. Our skilled arquebusiers made short work of their horsemen, who were foolish enough to charge into our lines, with disciplined and well-timed volleys.

I had my share of bloodshed of too. I had my eye on a Khergit horseman who cut down two of my men. So I returned the favor.

At last, after long hours of fighting and killing, we emerged victorious! The sun's rays pierced through the dark clouds. I raised my sword into the heavens and thanked God for this victory.

We decided to set up camp here for the night, and to lick our wounds. I had an officer report to me our casualties from the battle. He reports:

Vinci Arquebusiers - 12 killed, 28 wounded.
    Vinci Halberdiers - 25 killed, 4 wounded.
    Vinci Sword & Buckler Men - 13 killed, 11 wounded.
    Swadian Longbowmen - 4 killed, none wounded.

It's a sad loss, but necessary. We Vinci are eager to lay down our lives in service to Swadia. We had the dead buried with all the proper rituals, and drank the night away.

The next day, Lord Ludwig came into my tent:

[Lord Ludwig] "So, my friend, have you been sleeping well?"

[Giacomo] "Well, if you exclude the loud drunken laughter of the men, I slept quite well. Why do you ask?"

[Lord Ludwig] "No reason. It's just that after seeing my men dead in front of me, I couldn't help but feel a little..."

[Giacomo] "Saddened?"

[Lord Ludwig] "No. It feels more like guilt than sadness. Guilt that while my men gave their lives, I sit here with mine."

[Giacomo] "This is war, Ludwig, men die. There's no one to blame."

Ludwig seemed a little uncomfortable. He paused and didn't say a word.

[Giacomo] "Don't worry about it, old friend. You'll soon get used to it."

[Lord Ludwig] "I hope so. With that aside, what is it that you and your men are going to do now?"

[Giacomo] "The Emperor asks all available lords to rally near the Dark Forest. The Ellisians are marching across our lands and needed to be stopped. You should come join me."

[Lord Ludwig] "I wish I could, but I'm under orders from the Marshall to retake Haringoth castle from the Vaegirs."

[Giacomo] "I see..."

Bunduk, one of my most trusted officers and long time friend, enters the tent.

[Bunduk] "Giacomo, forgive the intrusion, but it's time to move out."

[Giacomo] "Right. Well Ludwig, I do hope we see each other soon."

[Lord Ludwig] "Likewise. It was an honor to fight beside you once more, friend."

And with that, Ludwig and I make our separate ways. My men and I march across the marshes and forests in hopes of reaching Emperor Sigismund in time; only stopping whenever we need to restock on food supplies through the local villages.
    Last edited by ~Beren~; January 08, 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Default Re: "The Lion and the Eagle"

wow that is some really nice skins!

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: "The Lion and the Eagle" - AAR

what mod is that?
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Looks very interesting I will follow this AAR.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    what mod is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    First, some info about my AAR.
    Mod: A modded version of the Eagle and the Radiant Cross for 1.011

Poqzt's Avatar Ordinarius

Great AAR! A bit too dark graphics for my taste though.

Just a quick update.
    I haven't been playing that much lately (computer troubles) so it's quite short.

April 5, 1495: Near the Dark Forest

Two days of marching has already taken a toll on our food supplies. Luckily, the village of Emirin was nearby. I sent my tradesman, Marnid, to go fetch us some food.

[Marnid] "Greetings, I'm here on behalf of Lord Giacomo Vinci. He wishes to purchase some food from this fine village."

[Village Elder] "I'm sorry to tell you, but we only have a few handful of food to sell. Those Khergits ransacked our village not too long ago, and we're just about to finish rebuilding this place. I can only sell to you a whole pig, a head of cabbage, some cheese, and one unit of beef."

[Marnid] "Alright, that's good enough. How much will they cost?"

[Village Elder] "400 denars"

[Marnid] "Are you daft man? I could easily get these at a cheaper price at some Khergit marketplace"

[Village Elder] "Then why don't you go purchase yer food there instead of here then? I'm sure my people wouldn't mind keeping all of these to themselves."

[Marnid] "Look, what if I give you 275...?

[Village Elder] "No, that's not good enough! 350."

[Marnid] "310..."

The village elder thought for a while before speaking again.

[Village Elder] "Very well, 310 it is."

Relieved, Marnid took the food and returned to Giacomo.

When I saw Marnid returning with only a handful of food, I was worried. That won't be enough to feed the men for three days. And Emperor Sigismund is only a four days march away. In any case, I can't do anything about it now, and we were running out of time.
    Last edited by ~Beren~; December 14, 2008 at 03:52 PM.

_TheChevalier_'s Avatar Centenarius

This AAR looks really interesting...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do not breathe, neither look or listen, DO NOT EXIST!!!"

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

A great AAR and good pictures too rest your eyes upon! +Rep

I'll have to catch up with this story, really nice to see a class act AAR here!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Nice AAR, allmost makes me want to play as Swadia

Apologies for my absence and the lack of any notification, gents. The holidays can be very hectic at times.

Since the holidays are over and I'm back at home, I shall continue writing this AAR of mine.
    After I play some more M&B, of course
    Last edited by ~Beren~; January 12, 2009 at 01:04 AM.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

less talk more play!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    so the update comes faster

and here's a small donation for your endeavor

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: (Mount&Blade AAR) "The Lion and the Eagle"

Hmm dead now? The pictures look awsome

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmus The Great View Post
    Hmm dead now? The pictures look awsome
    Most certainly not.

Certain events have deterred me from updating this AAR. But I assure you, I've continued working on it and intend on posting an update sometime this weekend.

Well, as I promised, here's the first part of the update which concludes the first chapter:

April 9, 1495: Outside Reindi Castle, deep inside the Dark Forest

As we enter into a clearing, we can see the towering spires of Reindi Castle. A lone priest greets us at the gate. His white beard and saggy skin speaks of his age. He seemed to have been expecting us. The castle itself looks deserted, save for a few sheep and two guards protecting the gate into the keep. Sections of the walls are battered and missing, hinting of a battle that recently took place here. The Imperial flag flies high above the tallest spire, tattered and ripped.

The sounds of battle echoes in the distance.

[Bunduk] "This place has seen better days, eh sir?"

[Giacomo] "Quiet, Bunduk. Tell the men to hold here for a while, I'll go talk to the priest."

[Bunduk] "Of course, my lord. He's a creepy one, that."

I dismounted my horse and slowly walked towards the old man, my hand clutching the hilt of my sword. In a faint, raspy voice, he spoke to me.

[Old Priest] "Blessings to you, child. Are you, by any chance, the young lord of Vinci?"

[Giacomo] "That I am, father. We are here to reinforce The Emperor and his troops."

[Old Priest] "Then you shall find them at the end of that path."

The old priest lifts his frail arm and points towards a dirt path. An eerie fog prevents us from knowing how far this path will take us, or what dangers it might have in store.

[Old Priest] "Make haste, child. For I fear that the Emperor won't last much longer without your help."

The men seemed unnerved by the ghostly visage made by the tree trunks and the shrubs. And our horses are becoming restless as well. But we must reach the Emperor before the Ellisians manage to overpower his army.

[Giacomo] "My thanks, father."

The old priest didn't say anything in return. He merely lowered his head and walked back into the castle's chapel.

[Giacomo] "Bunduk!"

Bunduk hastened his horse to the front of the column.

[Bunduk] "Yes, my lord?"

[Giacomo] "Have the men ready to move. Tell them to travel in a tight formation. I don't want anyone
    getting lost in there."

[Bunduk] "Understood. We're heading into that... thing, eh sir?"

I whistled for my horse and mounted it.

[Giacomo] "That's right. I want you to keep the men in line. I also don't want them to start a panic."

[Bunduk] "I'll make sure that the men behave, sir. Even if it means I have to whip them into shape."

[Giacomo] "I'm sure that won't be necessary, Bunduk. Just make sure they all get out in one piece."

[Bunduk] "As you wish, my lord."

-------------------------------------------

April 5, 1495: Inside Emperor Sigismund's Tent

[Lord Conrad] "Your eminence, the Ellisians have us outnumbered two to one, and our dead litter the battlefield. Surely, with all your wisdom, you don't intend in prolonging this battle? I suggest that we..."

Before Conrad could finish, the Emperor shoots out of his chair and slams his clenched fist on the table.

[Emperor Sigismund] "NOOO!"

His face, filled with anger, suddenly clears. He returns to his seat.

[Emperor Sigismund]
    "No... No one shall be retreating, you hear me?. That's just what Nikephoros would want me to do. One of the few things that would satisfy him after I..."

He repeatedly stomps the ground beneath him

[Emperor Sigismund] "...sent him to Hell!"

The Emperor regains himself again.

[Emperor Sigismund] "No, we will stay right here, and fight. The other lords are on their way, the tide of this battle will then change in our favor."

Silence fills the room. The officers look amongst themselves, a bewildered look on their faces.

[Lord Gottfried] "Your eminence... with the invasion of the Vaegirs into our northern settlements, the rest of our armies have been dispatched to intercept and to prevent them from reaching into the heartlands. We don't have any reserves available. We... spoke to you about this in the last report.

Trying to contain his rage, the Emperor lays back on his chair. His hand around his mouth, as if in deep thought.

His eyes then gaze towards Lord Gottfried.

[Emperor Sigismund] "Are you telling me, that we are completely on our own? That none of the lords I called for are coming to my aid?"

[Lord Gottfried] "Well, not exactly... Lord Vinci is on his way as we speak."

[Emperor Sigismund] "Giacomo... Are you sure?"

[Lord Gottfried] "We received word from Reindi that Giacomo and his men are an hour's march away."

[Emperor Sigismund] "He'd better be. Otherwise I'll have his head on a pike if I ever get out of this..."

April 5, 1495: Outside Emperor Sigismund's encampment

After what seemed like an eternity, my men and I finally broke through the thick fog. God be praised that we didn't lose a single man, I'm going to need every able-armed soldier for this next battle.

Out on the horizon, I can see a sea of tents, men, and equipment. 'This must be the Swadian camp,' I thought. So far, I can't see any battle taking place. We arrived just in time for the main battle, it seems.

As we approached the camp, a lone horseman greeted us. He quickly dismounted from his horse and stood at attention. With a salute, he began to speak.

[Swadian Horseman] "Ave, lord Vinci."

I returned the salute.

[Giacomo] "Ave to you, soldier. Are we too late? Give me a short brief of the current situation."

[Swadian Horseman] "I would say that you arrived just in time, my lord. So far, we've only faced small skirmishes from their Khergit horsemen. They were few, but their arrows managed to pierce through the armor of our troops. The Emperor wanted to attack the enemy in a frontal assault, but the commanders convinced him that we should take a more 'defensive' role in this fight."

[Giacomo] "I see. Go on."

[Swadian Horseman] "It would seem that the enemy is also waiting for their reinforcements, otherwise, our armies would have faced
    each other out on the field by now, and I... uh, probably wouldn't be here briefing you, my lord."

[Giacomo] "More reinforcements? Surely the Ellisians have already attained numerical superiority over our forces. Why are they still waiting for more troops?"

[Swadian Horsemen] "I guess they realize that what Swadians lack in number, we make up for quality troops, my lord?"

[Giacomo] "Ha, perhaps. In any case, direct me to..."

The sudden sounds of trumpets blast throughout the camp. The soldiers scatter about, gathering their equipment and forming ranks outside the camp.

An army with banners bearing the symbol of the Pope's Lion appear opposite of the encampment. The Ellisians and their Khergit auxiliaries have finished mustering their forces and are ready for war.

[Giacomo] "Quickly, you Vinci! Let us ride with our Swadian brothers to the aid of our glorious Emperor!"

Expect another update with pics either tomorrow or the day after. I have to actually join in this fight (500 vs 1000+) and write about the outcome.

Whatever happens, happens.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Hey, how do you make your own character raise its sword in victory? It never did that for me.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    Hey, how do you make your own character raise its sword in victory? It never did that for me.
    First, you have to activate cheats through the M&B pop-up menu (right before you launch the game itself). Then, during the victory phase of the battle, where your men are cheering etc, press ctrl + F5. It toggles this script where you character is controlled by the computer AI.

He'd then act like any other NPC - fighting on its own, cheering, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast