Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Join technical staff!

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Join technical staff!

That sounds like exactly the sort of person we'd like on technical staff. What are examples of some of the sites or forum plugins you've made? I'll check with the rest of Hex on how best to handle this, since it's a bit tricky to make someone an admin when they only have 131 posts.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Bolkonsky's Avatar how you doin?
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So do you guys still actively need someone? I'm learning some PHP and MySQL, and hosting off my own machine, so if I continue to learn, I might be able to lend a hand eventually.

Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Dragooon's Avatar Sōkō yumi
    Content Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post
    That sounds like exactly the sort of person we'd like on technical staff. What are examples of some of the sites or forum plugins you've made? I'll check with the rest of Hex on how best to handle this, since it's a bit tricky to make someone an admin when they only have 131 posts.
    Here's an example:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mod...x.php?mod=1365

It was continued under the name of Aeva Media by my co-developer since I didn't have enough time to look over. I understand if I don't get the post although I've been a member here for quite a while, I just don't post as much. To tell you the truth I am a student so my availability might fluctuate, but I can always give advice on an implementation.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Dragooon View Post
    Here's an example:
    http://custom.simplemachines.org/mod...x.php?mod=1365

It was continued under the name of Aeva Media by my co-developer since I didn't have enough time to look over. I understand if I don't get the post although I've been a member here for quite a while, I just don't post as much. To tell you the truth I am a student so my availability might fluctuate, but I can always give advice on an implementation.
    Hmm, okay. Looks good to me. I'll get back to you after consulting with the other admins.

Risen from Prey

mp0295's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Simetrical do you think I could be of use if I only helped during the summer? I know PHP, HTML, CSS and MySQL, as well as general working knowledge of Linux ( I have my own server I mess around with). The only thing is, between track; Science projects; and lifeguarding, I'm way to busy during the year. But in the summer I could possibly help.

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What knowledge of PHP/HTML/CSS/MySQL/Linux do you have? What are examples of projects you've worked on or specific things you've accomplished?

Risen from Prey

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post
    What knowledge of PHP/HTML/CSS/MySQL/Linux do you have? What are examples of projects you've worked on or specific things you've accomplished?
    I know regular PHP well, and have a good enough knowledge of its OOP side. CSS I don't use too much, but I can debug. HTML is easy. MySQL with PHP is mainly what I have done, but I have used it using SQL queries only. Linux is my weakest point, I only have a Ubuntu computer that has Apache PHP etc on it. Playing around on it is my main experience.

As for actual projects, I haven't done anything serious is about A year. I mainly write Quick PHP projects for maybe a school project or something.

Track & Field = Life

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'm not sure there'd be much of anything for you to do in tech staff. We really need more practical PHP experience, working with large or at least medium-sized projects, not just little scripts for school projects. You'd need to be able to read and understand a large, complicated program like vBulletin, have some understanding of performance and scalability issues, that sort of thing.

Risen from Prey

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes, large projects in a group effort I have exactly zero experiance in. Same with VB, never had a reason to pay for it. Was truly asking for a position, more just wondering if I could. Now I see the answer is no, I shall be on my way

Track & Field = Life

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊
    Content Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey there, I am a student of informational systems, and I wonder If I can, for know, be a padawan. Im still in my first year (the course is 3 years), so I wont be of much help, however when the time comes, next year, I will be with a good knowledge about linux, PHP, MySQL, JAVA, and some other good stuff.

What I propose here is could you guys teach me by letting me watch, and I can return the favor when the time comes?

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You can already watch by reading the Technical Bazaar. Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Risen from Prey

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Staff Technical Staff Content Emeritus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'd like to apply, my coding experience primarily lies with C# (asp.net), SQL (Oracle server and MySQL server) and PLSQL. For the past year I've done some small C# projects where in the last few months I've also occupied myself with the infrastructure behind it (Oracle 11g server, IIS 7, MySQL, Filezilla, hMail). The experience that I could bring to tech staff would primarily be SQL and infrastructure knowledge. I know that I'm not experienced with Unix based OSes but I'd very much like to give it a shot!

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information