Thread: A few questions and some help needed

Default A few questions and some help needed

Before I ask my questions I need to tell the whole staff of the Fourh Age what a excellent game you've created. You've gone to incredible strains to create a perfection within the modification world. Fourth Age has rekindeled my love for RTW and also get me very interested in Lord of the Rings. The AI, after playing a few turns, is incredible, very smart and a good challenge unlike RTW Vanilla and MIITW which are quite easy. Excellent work once more.

Now to my questions. First, I downloaded The New Shadow 2.0b, then downloaded patch 2.6 which included the previous patches. After this I downloaded Wars of Men for safe keepings so when I finished a few campaigns in the normal version I'd try something a little more difficult. I was testing Wars of Men and clicked on the Batch shortcut, it came up correctly. I selected one of the campaigns and clicked enter. It then prompted me further until it started to run the Wars of Men campaign. It loaded normally, showing the start screen with "Wars of Men" on the book. Then it loaded to the movie, however none of the specific campaign movies for each faction came up or the main intro but instead it was the RTW BI intro. It then loaded up to the main page when I thought I'd load to my faction I chose, I then went into Single Player > Campaign and chose my faction and clicked next. It loaded and nothing seemed changed to me and for some weird reason, when I was selecting my faction it didn't show how to finish the campaign, ie: Defeat - Dunland and hold 30 regions except for the RK. So I'm pretty sure something is wrong with it.

My next question is why did the staff create 7 different campaigns? I kind of understand creating the faction campaigns so you shift around the different files so it becomes harder on your faction and better on the AI factions but why make the "All-Faction Campaign"?

I also wanted to to if there is there anyway to get RK off your back when playing Rohan. I haven't learn't how to code in TW games yet, but would the diplomatic setting of RK with Rohan be to strong that somehow (I know, a weird suggestion) make it backfire easier?

Once again, great mod and hope to see many future expansion of it.

~Sensi
    Last edited by Sensi Karate; December 09, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
    l My Photobucket l My New, Hot Profile l My Signature Gallery l
    "What always staggers me is that when people blow their noses, they always look into their hankies to see what came out. What do they expect to find?"- Billy Connolly.
    - Been creating Signatures since '06 -

Default Re: A few questions and some help needed

If the movie you saw was the RTW-BI intro, it means that the .bat file did not work properly and didn't do the copying/renaming of files that was necessary. This happens with some systems, in which case you'll find that your saves will also apear to be removed every time you start the game. Please read this post and download the provided alternative .bat file; use it replace the .bat file in your main RTW directory.
    You will have to do some manual copying/renaming of the videos in your BI/data/fmv folder, unless you don't mind seeing the vanilla videos.

To answer your q: The all-factions camapign is merely there for those who wnat the original campaign + our mod intro; the files would exist anyway, as they serve as backup files taht are copied over the faction-specific ones when you exit the game.

Diplomacy is pretty much hardcoded in RTW, you'll have to live with it I'm afraid. YOu can keep bribing them with 100 coins every 10 turns or so, have large forces at your borders so that they are deterred and not enter a ceasefire with any of your enemies (because they may become alliws with them and then break your alliance) but eventually you will get attacked, it's Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensi Karate View Post
    I also wanted to to if there is there anyway to get RK off your back when playing Rohan. I haven't learn't how to code in TW games yet, but would the diplomatic setting of RK with Rohan be to strong that somehow (I know, a weird suggestion) make it backfire easier?
    Have a look at Lysander13's Unofficial Force Diplomacy Mini-Mod.

I've actually downloaded that but whats the use? RK will just attack you the next turn. I'll be able to live with it.

@Aradan: Still doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to go straight to the campaign or do you have to go through the main page > single player > campaign > select faction?

~Sensi
    "What always staggers me is that when people blow their noses, they always look into their hankies to see what came out. What do they expect to find?"- Billy Connolly.

You're supposed to go through the menu, but if the .bat file works properly, you should only be seeing 1 available faction in the selection menu, for the faction-specific campaigns. If this is not so, then the .bat file is incompatible with your OS, in which case you'll have to do some manual copying and pasting...

Let us know and I'll tell you what goes where, it's not hard at all.

My OS is Vista Home Premium. I still want to get into Wars of Men soon so if you could tell me where the files go, that'd be great. However its 1:30AM of here in Australia and I'm buggered, so I'm off to sleep. I'll check back here for the copying and pasting info. Thanks for the help Aradan.

~Sensi

I'm back. I'll try re-installing the whole game to see if any errors occured. If you could tell me where the files are supposed to go that'd be a great help if the re-installation doesn't work.

~Sensi
    Last edited by Sensi Karate; December 09, 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Still not working... It just loads up the normal version of the game when I select a specific faction. I'd really appreciate some help on this.

~Sensi
    Last edited by Sensi Karate; December 09, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

A) Since you got Vista, I think turning off UAC will solve your problems instantly.

B If you don't do it or doing it doesn't solve the problem:

Copy the contents of the BI/ci/Batch/faction_name folder except the "saves" subfolder inside your BI/ci/data directory.
    Copy the BI/ci/Batch/faction_name/saves folder inside your BI/ci directory.
    Copy the BI/ci/Batch/Videos/faction_name_intro.wmv file into your BI/data/fmv
    Rename the BI/data/fmv/BI_Intro_640x480.wmv file to backup_BI_Intro_640x480.wmv (or anything else you want)
    Rename the BI/ci/Batch/Videos/faction_name_intro.wmv file to BI_Intro_640x480.wmv.

Start the game.

In order to return to the original condition of the files:

Copy the contents of the BI/ci/Batch/Main folder except the "saves" subfolder inside your BI/ci/data directory.
    Cut the contents of the BI/ci/saves directory and paste them into the BI/ci/Batch/faction_name/saves folder.
    Delete the BI/ci/Batch/Videos/BI_Intro_640x480.wmv.
    Rename the BI/data/fmv/backup_BI_Intro_640x480.wmv to BI_Intro_640x480.wmv

I hope you won't have to do all that, if you disable Vista's UAC.

Turning off the UAC worked! However I thought I turned it off awhile ago after re-configing this annoying OS. Thank you for the great help mate! Rep + to you and the staff!

~Sensi

I have vista and am worried, what is the UAC? And how do you disable it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    And so it is! thank you very much!