Thread: Regeneration of .idx files

Default Regeneration of .idx files

I am attempting to add in some new sounds (the hornet sound effects from the Americas campaign) and I have run into a few snags. Whenever I delete the SFX.dat and SFX.idx and put in my SFX folder with all of the files in it, it generates a blank file. This happens whether or not I am using a mod folder. I tried manually generating the idx with Vercingetorix's extractor, but the newly generated SFX files are wiped clean by the game every time I start it up. Any ideas?

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

Userpro's Avatar =RAE= HostedMod Creator

Default Re: Regeneration of .idx files

leave the sfx files as they are and try regenerating the events files, with the new sfx folder in the same directory.
    Visit our TWC M2TW-Kingdoms Hosted Mods Forum for...

!!! RAE Development stopped --- read last Statement here !!!
    M2TW-Kingdoms Mod Creator REDEO AD EXORDIUM ( RAE )
    Progress: 95% internal final beta release - 85% official release
    RAE TWC-Wiki Eagle Standard interview ... RAE.net Homepage ... RAE TWZ-Germany
    Proudly Sega & Steam Boycotter since ETW! See why here or this petition
    Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Thanks for the response, userprobe. Unfortunately, the files did not generate, and the new sounds are not showing up.

Have you added the sound files in the right folder (modfolder/data/sound/ music, voice, sfx...)? Tell me what kind of sound you want to add in your mod folder. Keep in mind you must adress the events to the new sound-names, in the sound-text-files, too.
    Last edited by Userpro; December 10, 2008 at 04:33 AM.

Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Thanks for your help so far, userprobe! I have the sounds properly added into the text files - but if those are improperly done will it affect the pack generation? I have tried regenerating both the Medieval II Total War/mods/retrofit/data/sounds and the Medieval II Total War/data/sounds folders. I am adding the sound effects for the hornet throwers, firethrowers, and mangonels. One thing I have noticed is that they are in .wav rather than .mp3 format, but that can't be the problem, since they work fine in the Americas and Crusades packs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic_Commodore View Post
    Thanks for your help so far, userprobe! I have the sounds properly added into the text files - but if those are improperly done will it affect the pack generation?
    Yes, this step is very important.
    I have tried regenerating both the Medieval II Total War/mods/retrofit/data/sounds and the Medieval II Total War/data/sounds folders.
    Its enough when changing the sound-text files in the mod folder, to regenerate the two event files also only in the mod folder. I've added nearly 300 (voices) in this manner.
    One thing I have noticed is that they are in .wav rather than .mp3 format, but that can't be the problem, since they work fine in the Americas and Crusades packs, right?
    No problem for that...
    I am adding the sound effects for the hornet throwers, firethrowers, and mangonels.
    Going for the example of the firethrower: Best is to search for the filename of firethrower in all Kingdoms sound-text files and add (edit) the related entries in your corresponding mod sound-text files.
    For the example of the flamethrower you must add the flamethrower sound files to your mod directory in the self created folder: Medieval II Total War/mods/retrofit/data\sounds\SFX\Individual\flamethrower.
    Dont forged to delete the two events files at the end of all editing work.
    Last edited by Userpro; December 10, 2008 at 08:12 PM.

Alright, I've got everything added into the packs, but the sounds aren't playing! I think that this is a problem with the effect_evt folder or the events.idx file. Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Have you really added the effects of the flamethrower sounds in: \mod\data\descr_event_effects.txt and added the 3 flamethrower evt in the folder: \mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\sounds\effect_evt???
    Last edited by Userpro; December 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM.

Yes they are both in the appropriate folders - mods/retrofit/data/ and mods/retrofit/data/sounds/effect_evt. However, it looks like something is missing from one of the text files - you were right. Sorry about that. Is there any way to either download the Kingdoms sound text files (the ones from Americas, Crusades, etc) or to extract them from the events.dat file?

EDIT: I found the files here - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119871
    I will work off of them and see what happens.

EDIT 2: It worked! You were right all along, userprobe, thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by Mythic_Commodore; December 13, 2008 at 10:42 AM.

My pleasure!
    You must do in this manner with all sounds you want to add

now i solved
    Last edited by misterskeda; July 29, 2009 at 04:38 AM.