Thread: How in the world did this happen?

Icon9 How in the world did this happen?

Last night I downloaded the ExRM_v334_setup.exe from FileFront and attempted to play it. It wouldn't do a new campaign, though. I would click on a faction and it would act as if it was going to start the game, but then went back to the New Campaign, Historic and custom battle screen. I would click New Campaign again and nothing. I exited that screen and noticed it has a "continue" campaign option. I checked it out and it was saved from November. I clicked on it and it was a Macadon campaign that was already in progress. Has anyone else hadd this problem? I find it odd because it was a new download, I had just reinstelled RTW-Gold, and I've NEVER played with Macadonia. Anyone know what might be up?

Default Re: How in the world did this happen?

Hi, Welcome to the forum

First of all, you need to delete the map.rwm file in "RTW\ExRM\Data\world\maps\base" if you get a CTM (crash to menu)

Also RTR-Gold isn't "-mod switch"... You need to install ExRM on a clean installation of RTW-BI.
    It CAN coexist though with other "-mod switch" mods... like RTR-PE and RTR-TIC (see here for more details)

That should work
    Last edited by Pat89; December 08, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

Actually that`s a KTM - Kick to menu. A crash goes all the way to the desktop. Usually when that happens you get an error message while exiting the game(if the -show_err command is in place).
    Last edited by florin80; December 08, 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Shh you

Btw... that would be "-show_err" I guess?

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Hi Zepfan, and welcome.

I think PatricianS has correctly identified the problem and solution. Please let us know if it works for you.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Thanks to Windows Vista being complete knaff, I had to do a system restore of my pc.
    After my install of ERM I had exactly the same thing happen to me.
    Also, when I quit the game, I got an error saying that the description for Poeni infantry or something could not be found. Weird!

I deleted the aforementioned auto saved Macedonian campaign from the activision folder, but I when I tried to play the game, I still had the option of continuing a campaign despite there not being any game left to load.
    I was finally able to get a Roman campaign to let me save, and this seemed to enable other factions to come online.
    Another odd thing was that I could not find this save game in the folder with EXRM.
    Yet I can load the game.
    It makes me concerned that I did not do a proper install.
    I have some campaigns that I saved and copied into the new install, and they show up in the save folder.

Also, I actually don't have the map.rvm file in the aforementioned path, "RTW\ExRM\Data\world\maps\base".
    I do have this in the BI folder.
    Isn't this the file I should be deleting?

Help anyone!

That makes me concerned, too. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. It sounds like you have multiple installations of the ExRM in there, and that you may be running the game off of one of the others.

The map.rwm file should appear in the directory you're using. If it's in BI, that's 'cause you started a BI campaign at some point. Do a search of your hard drive for map.rwm files. That'll give you an idea of where the active ExRM directory is.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Done that. The map.rvm is only in the BI folder.

Something else I noticed, the bar that fills up when you are waiting for the game to load for example, has changed. No longer is it a sword being unsheathed; now its just a bar that fills up.
    Otherwise the game seems to play fine.

I have a portable hard drive plugged into my pc.
    Could that be screwing things up?
    I do have my original copy of EXRM saved onto it.
    I think I might just do another install with the portable hard drive unplugged.
    See if that helps. I don't see how though.
    Also, is there a way to tell if the BI 1.6 patch installed or not.
    I have the patch, but it doesn't tell me the path it does its install onto.
    I did notice that RTW and BI 1.6 is a slightly larger file than RTW and BI.
    This is the only other thing I can think off!

I also copied the EXRM 344 version from my portable hard drive onto my pc, then did the install. Maybe it didn't save properly?
    If so, where is the best place to download the 344 installer?
    The 1.6 patch too, now that I think about it.
    Recomendations please!

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar One
    Something else I noticed, the bar that fills up when you are waiting for the game to load for example, has changed. No longer is it a sword being unsheathed; now its just a bar that fills up.

That’s normal.

I have a portable hard drive plugged into my pc.
    Could that be screwing things up?

No. I don’t think so.

Also, is there a way to tell if the BI 1.6 patch installed or not.

When the game has started, click on “Options” and in the top right of the screen you should see Ver. 1.6 if you have updated BI successfully.

I also copied the EXRM 344 version from my portable hard drive onto my pc, then did the install. Maybe it didn't save properly?
    If so, where is the best place to download the 344 installer?
    The 1.6 patch too, now that I think about it.

You can download ExRM v3.3.4 from here. Just follow the instructions carefully.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189465

You can get the 1.5 and 1.6 patches here
    http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?p...l&nav=/en/7/3/

Thank you for explaining that, Bladerunner! I tried to rep you for it, but apparently I've given you some too recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Thank you for explaining that, Bladerunner! I tried to rep you for it, but apparently I've given you some too recently.
    Don't worry Quinn, I've got your back on this one. He's all repped up and ready to go.

you guys!

Seriously though. Let us know how you get on Sardaukar One.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner900 View Post
    you guys!

Seriously though. Let us know how you get on Sardaukar One.
    Just letting you know it's appreciated. Neither Quinn nor I can be online all the time (I normally check the forums once or twice a day), but it's good to have questions answered quickly, especially for folks who can't get the game to work.

Ok. I finally got it to work and go to imperial campaign. Problem is it's still has that "saved game." I was playing for about two hours and went to save and the option for it wouldn't work. Am I missing a patch for extended? Was I supposed to DL RTR: platinum before? It's like the file I downloaded from filefront wasn't clean. Also by the way are any of you having problems downloading some units?

PS: Thanx for the welcome!

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by zepfan81 View Post
    Ok. I finally got it to work and go to imperial campaign. Problem is it's still has that "saved game." I was playing for about two hours and went to save and the option for it wouldn't work. Am I missing a patch for extended? Was I supposed to DL RTR: platinum before? It's like the file I downloaded from filefront wasn't clean. Also by the way are any of you having problems downloading some units?

PS: Thanx for the welcome!
    If you quit to menu, then start a game (or even load from the main menu), the save option won't work. Something to do with scripts not clearing out properly IIRC. If you ever quit to the main menu, you'll have to quit the game altogether and reload, running the script again. The good thing is that, once you've got the campaign to start, it should start without a hitch next time round.

Icon14 Re: How in the world did this happen?

Awesome! Thanks!