Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bactria

Default Bactria

The name says it all. This will be a rough campaign overview. Course and unrefined, just like the start of the campaign.

Settings

Hard/Hard
    AI Bonuses ON
    Loyalty ON (dose not apply to Bactria but I do enjoy loyalty)
    Land Bridges ON
    Fatigue OFF
    Alexander exe. (I highly recomend this!)
    No sub-mods or modding. Just a straight shot of XGM. For once.

I haven't been able to make an aar for quite some time now. Work has kept me very busy. But my boss took a few stops off my route which gives me free time to myself, like a normal person. I almost started a Thracian aar, but decided to go with Bactria for two reasons.

The main reason being that many have said for quite some time how they would like to see a Bactrian aar. A few have tried to start one but never got past the first turn. The second reason is that I have never played as Bactria. So this will be a new experience for me to share with the viewer.(My text will not match now because I don't know how to go back to default.)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So here we are in the far east. I knew this campaign would be a little difficult from the start. I only have two provinces and a small army that I cannot afford.

Forutantly, the campaign starts with the Seleucids at war with the Ptolemies and hostilities with Saba, Armenia, Pontus and Parthia. Parthia starts off as my ally.

Another interesting start of the campaign, Eastern civilization is the dominant culture. In all my other campaigns, Barbarian was the dominant force. A nice refresher.

I don't like my treasury being in the red. Even if it's just a small amount. Starting with a wanning treasury gives me two options. I can either hide behind my wall and use what money I have to build a stable economy... hoping the ai won't attack, or build a couple of temples and raise some garrison troops to pacify the people while my army goes out to sack, rape, pillage and plunder. I have never been willing to cowar behind a wall so I chose the latter.

I start with building a shrine to Anahita in my capital, Bactra. Not only for the happiness bonus, but because it upgrades light weapon. Bactria seems to have some powerful missle units, so this should come in handy. Then I reruited a unit of Levy Phalangites to Bactria's early conquests.

In Kophen, I built a Buddhist Stupa for it's trade effect. I plan on making this settlement a finacial hub while Bactra will be my military base. I recruited some peltast in Kophen for garrison duty while my reliable troops in the settlement march twards the rest of the army in Bactra. The best faction to sucker punch would be the Seleucid Empire. It's settlements are already Greek and will not require any colonizing. Not to mention they are large enough as it is. Leaving them be for the next few turns could be fatal. Attacking the Eastern Kingdoms to the south in India would be too much trouble colonizing with the Seluecid just waiting for a good opporitunity to strike. Parthia is my ally and may prove to be a useful one. But I know this will not last for long. So I'm attacking the Seleucids as soon as possible.

Ouch!

Here are some of the many details in XGM. At the end of the turn, my faction leader gained some interesting characters to his retinue. I'll have to look these guys up some time.

I spent the couple of turns mustering my forces outside of Bactra while keeping just enough troops inside my settlements to keep the peace. I also spent a little extra on a temple in Bactra just to keep my people content. Meanwhile, my diplomat and spy scout for Seleucid settlements to sack.

I think my best plan of attack would be to move south west into Persia, that way I have access to some trade ports. I'll try to hold off any Seleucid attacks in the west and north west while this takes place. My enemy's westward position makes for a good buffer against my ally.

My spy just discovered Phra, which is poorly defended. This will be my first victim.

Although there are some bad ass mercanaries available, I don't think it would be wise to recruit them just yet. I'd love to have them, but I have to build revinue to afford such units.

Now here is something that the ai has never done before. Not with me anyways. I sent my diplomat to gain some map information from the Parthians, I tried to gain by just map for map. Which sometimes works for two small nations. But they insisted that I attack the Seleucids. Of course I accepted since my army was only one turn away from sacking one of their towns.

OUCH!

Phra is now under siege and war has begun!

The battle will be posted soon. But I've learned that it's best not to upload too many pics. I'll be back latter.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: Bactria

Nice! Bactria is one of my favorite factions. Beware of the parthians - they are tricky allies at best

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Great faction choice Dirty_M! really looking forward to reading this one. Bactria's roster is great fun to use, I can recommend the horse archers for fighting against Seleucia and general all round awesomeness.

Oh, it's worth keeping an eye on the culture of Baktria, you're probably getting a lot of unrest from the eastern population there which is killing your income.
    A mod of a mod of a mod - My Carthage AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Webba View Post

Oh, it's worth keeping an eye on the culture of Baktria, you're probably getting a lot of unrest from the eastern population there which is killing your income.

Ahh... I get it. I'm not used to playing with such a diverse faction. Thanks for the culture tip Webba. I wish knew about that sooner. Wait till the update comes.

Last night when I tried to load the saved game, it kept crashing to the desktop. Even the autosave would crash. I have just updated to XGM 5.8.4 and I suppose the settings I had for the previous version were not compatable. So I had to delete the folder and reinstall XGM. Then load a Bactrian campaign from scratch and do the exact same thing I did before. And some how, I made things more difficult for myself. Compare my treasury to the pic in the previous post. I'm not sure how what I did wrong but you have to give me credit for not giving up and enduring such an annoying situation.

So here is were we left off, only I have less money and my faction leader has and actor in his retinue instead of an orator.

I assault Phra immediatly. This is no great victory, but it's my first battle and therefor worth posting.

My plan of attack was simple. I had two colums of infantry attacking the the northern entry points of the settlement while my Bactrian Cavalry attacked from the west.

A unit of Doryphoroi valiantly charged one of my pike syntagmas.

This felt more like a parade than a battle.

Although I need money, I also need a population to tax and peasants to levy to the battlefield. So I spared this settlement.

Although taking Phra helped my treasury a little, it didn't solve my deficit problem. But now I'm one step closer to conquoring Persia. Merv is pretty much isolated from reinforcements at this point. So I Painfully spent money on throwing up a wooden pallisade around Phra and recruiting a unit of peltasts for garrison duty. Then i sent my spy to scout for more Seleucid towns to sack in west and south. Merv poses not much of a threat considering it's caught between my garrison in the south and the Parthians to the north.

At the end of the turn, a young garrison commander was up for adoption. This was very convenient. Now I can have someone govern my new province while Diodates can continue his conquests.

My treasury is still in the red. Damn!

While scouting for more towns to sack, my spy spotted a Seleucid general marching twards my borders. I had Diodates meet him before he could raise more troops and cause too much trouble.

But this so called Greek decided to fight more like a Scythian than a good Hellene with his infantry. Amythaion had four units of Median Cavalry and one unit of Doryphoroi.

It's been a long while since I've taken screen shots while playing so my pics aren't all that great. Maybe after a few posts I'll be able to take some decent screens once I work off the rust.

I have always had trouble against horse archers. At first, I wasn't sure how deploy my troops. But I had a couple units of Bactrian Archers, that are just as effective at close range as they are at a distance. So I drew a simple phalanx flanked by light infantry and cavalry. I was fighting a fast moving enemy, so I knew my syntagmas would fair poorly if engaged in phalanx formation. Mobility seemed critical and I left the phalax formation off.

Once my army was depoyed and the battle to a start, the Seleucids where holding a small mound in the center of the field. I used a simple "rope-a-dope" tactic to flank their right in an effort to push them off the mound.

I knew engaging my phalangites against the evasive horse archers would only prolong the battle with higher casualties due to a horse archer's common skirmishing tactics. Seeing that my Bactrian Archers were quite capable of holding their own, I disabled their skirmishing mode and rushed the foward to engage the Medians. Hoping to lure them into a couter attack. The Medians took the bait and charged into my archers. My Bactrians held their ground while my phalangites moved in from behind and overwhelmed the enemy cavalry. Meanwhile, my cavalry and light infantry swung around the left flank in an effort to cut off an escape route for the Seleucids. Seeing there was no chance for victory, Amythaion withdrew the rest of his army from the field.

After being driven from the field, Amythaios took the remainder of his forces to Merv. This was a problem that i could not ignore. I wanted to leave Merv for the time being as a buffer against the Parthians. But now that the garrison is reinforced with horse archers and light infantry, it sullies my plans of moving south west. So I saw no alternative to attacking merv and eliminating the threat before it grew too strong.

I kept my army deploy on the western side of the town considering there were two entry points to exploit. This would also keep my units from being isolated. I drew a column for each entry with my phalangites up front with archers and light infantry to the rear. The plan was to bull doze my way through the city while my archers menace the enemy from a distance during the march. But enemy skirmishers and light infantry disrupted the course of this tactic and I had to engage my cavalry earlier than I wanted. They were met with enemy cavalry including Amythaion's bodyguard, which was destroyed along with Amythaion himself. Once Seleucid mobility was crippled, their light infantry was vulnerable to a juggernaught of pikes and spears.

Victory!

After taking Merv, I was presented with a hard choice to make. The population was already small and not rebellious, which would come in good use later in the campaign. But occupying the settlement would not help the deficit. I had an army to march and three other cities to maintain and I needed money. So I slew the popultion and looted town. The good thing about this is my treasury is back on track and Merv should stay peaceful for a while. But the bad thing about this is the population is almost nonexistant and will prove to be a problem when defending against a possible Parthian invasion. Merv is about three turns away from the homeland and will be hard to reinforce. Perhaps I could give it to Parthia....

And that where we leave it.
    Last edited by Dog Fart; December 08, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Primicerius

Yay, a baktrian AAR! I've waited a long while for one of these... Since bootsiuv's, I think, a very long while back. A suggestion: Take the adopted guy and make him the general of your army. Diodates can get 10 mangement 10 influence extremel quickly, and is especially useful when quelling rebellion in Baktria, so send him there or another rebellious town (he can save you upkeep costs for a few units).

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Yay, a baktrian AAR! I've waited a long while for one of these... Since bootsiuv's, I think, a very long while back. A suggestion: Take the adopted guy and make him the general of your army. Diodates can get 10 mangement 10 influence extremel quickly, and is especially useful when quelling rebellion in Baktria, so send him there or another rebellious town (he can save you upkeep costs for a few units).

I didn't think about any of that, Scutarii. I actually did the opposite. I have an old habit of making my faction leader or faction heir my leading generals. But that certainly is worth considering.

Update comming soon.

Here is some of what I did today. The rest will be posted later.

At the end of the turn, money was flowing steady just as I had hoped.

Civil unrest started to spring up in my capital. I had to respond to it the cheapest way possible by recruiting some doryphoroi and setting the city on growth build. I had thought about sending a family member back to the capital, but felt that they would be better implemented defending the frontier.

I left a mangled unit of Levy Phalangites in Merv for garrison duty and sent Diodates further south into Seleucid territory. I was determined to see the ocean by the end of the day. My spy found a small Seleucid stack defending a bridge. There must be a settlement near by.

My profits were a bit small by the end of the turn, but at least I'm not seeing any red.

My spy discovered the settlement Neh. Seeing that part of it's garrison was outside defending the bridge, I though I could besiege the town from the North, forcing the small stack on the bridge and the garrison in the town to open battle.

Establishing peace in Bactra is getting expensive. But progressing.

I began siege works on Neh, but hopefully the bridge defenders draw the garrison outside.

And the plan worked. Once the hour glass was clicked, the Seleucids invited Diodates to open battle.

I deployed my army in a standard phalanx formation with my archers to the front. Thureophoroi to the left and hoplites on the right. Cavalry in the rear.

Both attacker and defender were deployed on a hill ridge, but seeing that the enemy was advancing I decided to return the favor. My archers began thinning out the enemy peltasts while I sent the two pike syntagmas on the right to engage the enemy center. I kept my hoplites on the right stationary to counter a possible flanking maneuver.

With enemy casualties mounting and their reinforcments approaching, I decided to send in my hoplites to smash the Doryphoroi pinned against my pikes. Once the began to route, I redeployed my troops and waited for the enemy to regroup.

The Seleucids pull their forces together and attack my center and left.

My hoplites and cavalry finish off the Seleucids on the right and begin rolling up the enemy line.

With it's defenders slaughtered in the field, Neh was open to march on. I spared it's population so I can tax it. I'm now one step closer to the ocean.

At the end of the turn, Neh was already proving to be of good use.

The rest of todays work comming shortly.

Here is the rest of today's game session.

I thought I should take advantage of that extra cash while I still could and start working on my economy. Hopefully money will be more abundant soon.

Meanwhile, I spend a littel extra retraining my army and raising a garrison for Neh.

I went a little over budget. But these expenses will pay for themselves in the long run.

Perseas has come of age.... but I don't know what to do with him. He'll have to stay in Kophen for the time being. I have rebel stacks running rampant through out my kingdom and I'm having trouble raising a domestic army to solve the problem.

At this time, I was milking as much money as I could before I made my way for the ocean.

After raising a small garrison for Neh, I prepare Diodates for a march to the south. But before he left, I raised a unit of horse archers. I've been meaning to get some of these guys before but just couldn't afford it at the time.

Bactra was growing too damn unruly and needed a govourner. So I took Dienokrates out of Phra and sent him to the capital. I began work on a Brahmic temple in Phra to help pacify the populace.

The mere presense of Dienokrates made a significant difference to Bactras civil order.

I was so focused on being a cheap ass and raising money that I didn't bother thinking about putting a wooden pallisade around Merv. The Parthians sent a small force just outside the town. The small stack was made of horse archers. I quickly put up that palisade and levied some phalangites. I was prepared to hold off the the Parthians. But at the end of the turn the Parthians withdrew when the walls and pikes went up.

Venturing twards the ocean, my spy stumbled upon Harmozia. This is the prize I have been anticipating. A break from being land locked and access to fleet trade. Needless to say, this was my next target.

Back at the homeland, I began work on a domestic army to ward off these damn annoying rebels.

Diodates begins his march to the ocean. Just as he ran out of movement points, a rebel stack was found standing infront of him. I was tempted to destroy this stack but found it foolish to deplete my ranks over a bunch of damn slaves. I'll deal with these guys later. I have an empire to topple.

Later I engaged the small Seleucid stack in sight.

Then I took my garrison in Bactra and engaged a rebel stack outside the city. It was made up of two units of Indian Longbowmen and Indian Spearmen. My strategy was simple. I had my missile units in loose formation and engaged the enemy archers. The Indian Spearmen charged my peltasts and were routed by my reinforcing Thureophoroi and Doryphoroi. With their shock troops goon, the enemy archers fled while my infantry was not far behind and my cavalry cutting them off from a left flanking maneuver. And that was the end of them.

The ocean is in sight.

Logistics are becoming a problem for my military. As soon as I get my sea side province, I'll start constructing a chain of minor settlements and fortress on the outskirts and interior of my kingdom. That way armies and garrisons are not so difficult to pool together and incursions will be spotted ahead of time. I need to slow down with my offense against the Seleucids because I am beginning to overexpand and I am approaching their more developed cities. I need to take time to strengthen my infrastructure and military before moving further west. Not to mention preparing for a soon to be war against Parthia and the Eastern Kingdoms would only do good.

At last, my final objective for the day.

My spy just found Istakhr. This will be the final settlement I capture before I slow down my offense against the Seleucids. This town seems to have a very good defensive position against an invader from the west.

And now the final job for the day.

Bactria is at last free of it's natural confines and open to the Indian ocean and Persian Gulf. This harbor will be vital for the next few decades to come.

And thats what I did for the day. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did playing it.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

I enjoyed reading it very much dirty_M. Hope you're ready for The Seleucid's revenge!
    Last edited by Webba; December 08, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Nice AAR, Dirty_M. Good to see you around again. Who says one cannot blitz with Bactria ? Now that Bactria got on their feet firmly, what's next? Any expansion plan in mind?
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; December 09, 2008 at 06:20 AM.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Nice ARR, Dirty_M. As I was one of those who architect Bactria's temples as well as their unique traits and ancillaries, I always want to see how my work affect gameplay in action to develop further of my work.

As one of architect of temple, traits and ancillaries of XGM 5.8.X, I must inform that situation of Bactria is quite unique and different from earlier version as.
    1) Bactria implement eastern religions system of Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism. This is up to what temple is in the city as temple set of Bactria have gods from Persia, India as well as good old Greek. All these eastern religions can be both help you govern the local or put your situation worse up to situation as it add eastern culture to character. Religion also affect on royal title which give to faction leader later on.
    2) Ancillaries of indian temple are unique to Bactria and would add quite bonus. While traits given by buddhism temple are unique and emphasize on more peaceful approach. (I forgot to allow eastern ancillaries for them in ET and XGM, so this will be add later in XC.)
    3) There are "education abroad" system in current XGM which trigger when stay in specific settlement for a few turn until get trait tell that he want to sent his children to study abroad. This would cause all their son get more better traits as well some ancillaries when come of age. Nearest places for bactria for this are Taxila and Istakhr.

I hope this information will help you to breakthrough Bactria's cultural identity crisis. I looking forward to your success.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Thank you all for your comments. I hope I can keep the updates somewhat consistant. My job takes alot of energy out of me. I'm currently debating if I should load XGM over a cup of coffee.

Webba, I look foward to a Seleucid revenge! The terrain in far east asia is awesome. It's all rocky and mountainous and what not. A real refresher from 3 years in Alpine forests and Thracian hills.

ME, it's good to be back. I've been meaning to start an AAR for a while but my route was too big.
    People say you can't blitz with Bactria?!?!?! They start off with a reliable military. Just have to pool them together and send them on their way. As far as expansion goes, I'll have to put that on hault once I capture Istakhr. That settlement is planted on a slope flanked by mountains. Very good for breaking armies. I have to slow down my expansion because it seems I have reached the point in the game where a solid economy, cultural system, and professional army is critical. Bactra still doesn't have a City Barracks. Once I take Istakhr I will boost my economy to raise armouries and a few professional units. At the same time, construct a chain of minor settlements along my borders and even in the stretched out interior so I can have a better way monitoring incursions. A network of fortresses will also be critical since the Asian towns are so far apart from one another. Reinforcing armies and garrisons will be easier this way.

I almost typed my grand strategy... but we'll have to wait for another update.

Suppanut, thank you for that great post! It was very informative and I'll try to make good use of it. Please don't be shy with more info/advice. It also shows how much work was put into this mod. Certainly worth appreciating. It seems I've already made my kingdom a bit too diverse. I'll have to make an effort to keep Bactria for developing a bad case of "Faction Schitzophrania".

Looking at how you are playing the campaign I would say you are in for some fun/trouble.

The TSE tends to attack all of you settlements that border it and you can't rely on 1 or even 2 standing armies to move around enough to defend each city.

In the end the only viable option was using 2-3 horse archers in each city to weakon the forces over a couple of turns. (have them blocking the way to the city to get an extra turn of fighting before rams are built). While this stratergy worked with low level troops once they started to send hoplities then I had problems, thankfully I had by then just about finished of Parthinia and could divert more troops.

Parthinia are much tougher to fight, while you may be able to defend originally by killing the besiging infantry and the cav withdrawing you then have to fight on the sally as they have stacks of pure cav.

Thanks for the tip Roman Warlord. Fun/trouble is something I look foward to.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Roman Warlord speaks a lot of sense, particularly the bit about garrisoning your cities. With 3-4 units of horse archers you can sally every turn, kill a couple of hundred troops, retreat back to the city and end the combat with no penalty at all. Do this for 2-3 turns and you can often kill enough that the ai decides to lift the siege. Guerrilla tactics are great fun! And on the subject of fighting Parthia, Thuerophoroi and Bactrian Archers are your very very very good friends.

I need to quit posting and put all of these methods to use. But I have to get ready for work in an hour. Hopefully I'll have a bit of energy when I get home and I'll run a few turns.

I hope I didn't piss anyone off who was expeting an update.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_M View Post
    ... People say you can't blitz with Bactria?!?!?! They start off with a reliable military. Just have to pool them together and send them on their way. ...
    That was a rhetoric question meant to point that one can . I played Bactria for about 10 turns. My impression was that for first few turns things go slowly and you spend quite some time marching.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    That was a rhetoric question meant to point that one can . I played Bactria for about 10 turns. My impression was that for first few turns things go slowly and you spend quite some time marching.
    That's quite a contrast to my experience. I captured Merv on the second turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Webba View Post
    That's quite a contrast to my experience. I captured Merv on the second turn.
    Oh, yeah. I remember now. I had a rather crazy idea to secure India first and then turn on TSE with a larger home base in hand. Therefore, I marched into India, found very decent Rebel stacks and had to wait for reinforcements. So, I managed to waste a few turns.
    Btw, I guess this is an interesting scenario for those who like to give TSE some time to consolidate their Empire and then have a more interesting fight .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast