Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assembling a Computer

i have 4G to lay down on a smacking brand new computer......... i figured it would be way better to customize rather than simply buying ............ i want Top of the line parts that any 1 can think of.... thx.... :w00t :grin

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

.........I hate you...........Haha
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

just get an alienware

visigothe's Avatar Biarchus

Proc
    Mobo
    Video Card x2
    RAM

get whatever else after that

edit: never get an alienware

Outlined against a blue, grey October Sky the four horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

don't get an aleinware.

Yes, don't get alienware. Bunch of overpriced garbage in a pretty package.

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

Sorry you cant go ToL with only 4G. Now if you are talking 50G+ then you are in the ballpark.

For example what the big boys play with: www.go-l.com/

Shoot, they are redoing the site now - but you can gather from the comments what the deal is for people.

-Spartan
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

for RAM, get Corsair XMS instead,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-470&depa=1

For the motherboard, since you apparantly have oodles of money, get the Asus A8N-SLI Ultra instead of the DLX, it has a few improvements over the older model but costs more

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-131-524&depa=1

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

Originally posted by .Spartan@Mar 26 2005, 07:30 AM
    Sorry you cant go ToL with only 4G. Now if you are talking 50G+ then you are in the ballpark.

Shoot, they are redoing the site now - but you can gather from the comments what the deal is for people.

-Spartan
    Actually I believe that site is a fraud. I've heard two sides of it. One its just a well designed scam. The other is that everyone believed it wasn't legit/ it wasn't well known so no one spent 18Gs on a 5 pannel moitor and 30Gs on the computer itself. I actually looked at the specs and to me it doesn't seem worth 50,000. I mean you could but a 64in. plasma screen TV for ALOT less and hook that up to your computer, heck you could buy two, or even tree if you wanted to spend 18Gs

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Originally posted by .Spartan@Mar 26 2005, 07:30 AM
    Sorry you cant go ToL with only 4G. Now if you are talking 50G+ then you are in the ballpark.*

-Spartan
    I think he meant GOD's GAMING computer *tongue*

CPU-FX55
    Motherboard-Squeaky's Ultra
    RAM made specifically for AMD 64 FX systems. It thet same Corsair RAM squeaky picked, but with better chips and slightly tighter timings.
    Graphics Cards- These are the cards that the 3DMark world record was just broken on. GET 2!! Link to 3DMark Broken World Record
    Power Supply PC P&C are THE best quality PSU's out there...PERIOD.
    CPU Cooler-XP120 is also the best air cooler on the market...needs a 120mm fan. If that's too big go for an XP90
    Hard Drives--Hitachi are again..the best quality HD's you can get. Western Digital is garbage, Maxtors are good, Seagates are generally pretty good.
    Dual Layer DVD burner

And whatever PC Case, fans, and other accessories you want =+$150-$200
    And don't forget the AS5

-BTW-This setup at Alienware would be over $6,000 US...ours (without case and accessories) came in at a little under $2900...in case you'd like to know.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

If you are not going to build one yourself I would buy one from ibuypower.com. I searched all over the net and this place had the best deals. I just finally bought a new computer from them and it came in about 5 days ago. I was able to get amd 3500+, 6800gt, asus a8n sli deluxe, 1gb pc3200 dual channel,500W psu, 160gb hd, windows xp home, dual layer dvd-rw, and a nice case for 1500$ including shipping.

Yeah, but they skimp on quality parts, and one or more will almost definitely go bad at some point. There IS a reason that such a nice PC is so cheap.

here

Buy two round the world air tickets and treat the Mrs/GF/best mate/yourself to a damn fine holiday AND buy a 'high' end spec'ed PC.
    Buying the 'top of the line' is a complete waste of cash. In 6 months time top of the line is high end. In one year it'll be ordinary. In two years time it'll be budget. Price versus performance in PC hardware is exponential. If you have money to burn, do something useful with it rather than totally wasting it on benchmark crap.
    ...but I think Germany with home advantage will raise their game as always for the big ones and win the title. Post #260

In 6 months time top of the line is high end. In one year it'll be ordinary. In two years time it'll be budget. Price versus performance in PC hardware is exponential.
    Right on, just get a PSP

if he buys "high End" in six months it will be ordinary and in a year it will be budget.

No, that isn't a banana

Originally posted by HogDog@Mar 27 2005, 02:53 PM
    if he buys "high End" in six months it will be ordinary and in a year it will be budget.
    such a myth....sad that so many people subsrcibe to it.

Originally posted by OTZ@Mar 27 2005, 04:51 PM
    Hehe, it's true though.

Though the industry doesn't move quite THAT fast, more like 1 year high-end, 1 and a half ordinary, 2 and a half budget.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

honestly, I'd get 2nd rate parts since they're already significantly lower priced compared with what they used to be, but still very powerful. But get the FX55 anyway, AMD says they're keeping the FX line as their high end.

For cooling, since you have oodles to spend, you may as well just get water cooling. Thermaltake just made their new "big water 3" that has completely external pumps and is really simple and relatively cheap, or you could spend even more and get high end water cooling or even *gasp* compression/vacum cooling

Originally posted by OTZ@Mar 27 2005, 04:51 PM
    Yeah, my rig I built over a year ago runs about $1100-1200 depending on where you shop, and I have it running at FX55 speeds.

here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast