Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Culloden, Disscuss

Default Culloden, Disscuss

Just thought id make a thread of a lesser-known battle, which was the last land battle fought on Mainland Britain.
    Heres some background info.
    During the time of the austrian succession (1745-46) a uprising took hold of Scotland wanting to put the Stuart royal family back on the throne of Britain.
    This was the most successful of the numerous Jacobite rebellions and invaded England in a attempt to link up with French and Spanish forces who were planning an invasion of the south coast. The Jacobite forces got down to Derby, a mere couple of days march from London. And turned back. Up untill this invasion the Jacobites has won every battle/skirmish but lost any sieges.
    On the march back to confront the new threat by Cumberland in the west of Scotland they had to fight 2 battles and one siege. By now the Jacobites had "acquired" weapons and arms from previous victories over the Hanoverian forces. But the core of the army still consisted of Highland Clansmen who on most cases would just be armed with a Claymore (sword), Targe (circle shield) and a Dirk (dagger). The main tactic which had worked so far was the "Highland Charge" in which the Highlanders would ditch most of thier heavy equipment except for thier weapons. During the charge any Highlanders that were lucky enough to posses a firearm, would fire off thier firearms then drop them and continue the charge into close fighting in which the Highlanders excelled in cutting swaves through the British Government forces.

Culloden was the meeting ground upon which the two armies would meet. Its in the North of scotland not far from Inverness. Boggy and open ground, not suitable for the Jacobites tactics/army. Here they would have to face a defensive, well trained and well armed enemy. This is where the Jacobites made thier final charge.

Disscuss the issues with this battle. such as "should they have fought there?"

No to the pretenders of the British Throne! Jacobite Till I Die

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Default Re: Culloden, Disscuss

I've been to the site. It reminded me of the Dead Marshes from Lord of the Rings...

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I visited the Culloden battlefield in August. My family (the MacLarens) fought for the Jacobites in the battle and they fought in the Appin regiment with the Stewarts of Appin. Of the 250 in that regiment only 90 would see the end of the battle unscathed.

Pictures from my visit.

Overveiw of battle field

The mass grave of the Appin Regiment

Where the regiment was on the battle

The terrain. They have been trying to restore the original moorland and as you can see its is very thick, rough and wet. I think that it is certainly a major factor into why the Jacobites were defeated.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

very interesting that your family fought for the Jacobites, So did mine, our Clan Farquarson formed the center of the first line along with Clan Chattan. Your family must have been caught in the massacre when the highlanders broke the lines but got trapped by the box of infantry in the second line.

I pass the turn-off to culloden on my way to work I always keep meaning to go back. The uneven boggy ground undoubtedly causing the Jacobite line to not hit the Hanoverian line as a whole made all the worse by Murray not informing Perth he was shifting his position to avoid the enclosure. Critical mass was impossible to achieve, something a Highland charge needed to work.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venetian-Prince View Post
    very interesting that your family fought for the Jacobites, So did mine, our Clan Farquarson formed the center of the first line along with Clan Chattan. Your family must have been caught in the massacre when the highlanders broke the lines but got trapped by the box of infantry in the second line.
    Yeh they are in the right position for that, not to mention the fact that when the routed they got hit by fire coming from the wall that ran across the south of the battlefield. I beleive the Clan MacDonald didnt even reach the govenment forces due to the boggy terrain slowing them down.

Its the aftermath of the battle that was proberbly the worst for the highlanders. Highland families were massacred, villages burnt to the ground, tartan + Gaelic banned. In essence, the extinction of the Highland culture and way of life that has never recovered.

Markas, just wondering, that white cockade in your avatar. Symbolising Jacobitism? or just coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Venetian-Prince View Post
    Markas, just wondering, that white cockade in your avatar. Symbolising Jacobitism? or just coincidence?
    It's the White Rose of The House of York which was also the symbol of the Jacobite cause. Indeed, the Jacobites had some support in the North of England. However:

It is possible the white rose as a symbol of Jacobitism didn’t originally have anything to do with York or Scotland. James Francis Edward Stuart was born on 10th June 1688 (24th June NS), the Summer Solstice when the white rose is traditionally said to flower. It became a symbolic representation of James himself. There is a possible connection with the white rose of York in the sense that James II had been Duke of York before his accession; and it would be nice to think that the white rose was worn as a mark of support by those who opposed the Exclusion Bill in the 1670s, but I have found no evidence for this.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

BritPatriot1815's Avatar Ducenarius
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

This was a great battle, i wouldn't say it was lesser-known, maybe in England but not in Scotland. The Jacos were just unlucky there, a bog, bad discipline, health & the well experienced & trained Government troops
    How far will I go for Rome? At least to the end of the street, I hate walking

I Hope they include it in the Historical Battles in ETW. Along with Fontenoy, Leipzig, Waterloo and Trafalger.

I can do without Waterloo fought by some random men in tricornes

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    I can do without Waterloo fought by some random men in tricornes
    CA will probably make some special units for Waterloo mate, thats what i tink

The lovely Ronni Ancona explains it all.

Stephen Fry is mint!!!

So did we all see the jacobites/highlanders fighting redcoats in that video?

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    So did we all see the jacobites/highlanders fighting redcoats in that video?
    I didn't see any redcoats... I thought it was a highlander unit fighting er... other highlanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    I didn't see any redcoats... I thought it was a highlander unit fighting er... other highlanders.
    I cant remember lol. At least they are in the game though. So I can recreate my own 1740s uprising.

Aye great news with them being in the game. a bit of file editing and i shall march on London! Hopefully it will mean the stuart dynasty is restored.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast