Thread: Killing the Kerghits!

Roman Knight's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Killing the Kerghits!

I'm a bit of a noob as I've only had the game for a week, and my biggest problem so far has been Khergits (as Vaegirs). My current tactic is to mass infantry and archers on a hill and lead knights away for a flanking manouver, but I still lose men to horse archer fire. So, what do I do?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Killing the Kerghits!

Vaegir?? That is easy actually, all you need to do is bring a pure heavy cavalry army (Vaegir Knights have more protection than Kerghit Lancers, so they can outfight a few Lancers alone).

Anything walk on foot is not noble enough to fight Kerghit!!!

_TheChevalier_'s Avatar Centenarius

As hellheaven1987 said, you need tons of horses to fight khergits, you should also try to build your heroes as horsearchers, that might help in the fight against khergits horsearchers, and also try to recruit swadian POW man at arms or POW swadian knights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do not breathe, neither look or listen, DO NOT EXIST!!!"

Ha! Weaklings the lot of you, go gallop on your fat ponies while the real men, the Nords handle this on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos32 View Post
    Ha! Weaklings the lot of you, go gallop on your fat ponies while the real men, the Nords handle this on foot.
    I have fought besides Grand Army of Nord and knows that Nord die in mass when againsting Kerghist!

Only because of incompetent leadership, that and they were embarrassed to be seen next to you .

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Vaegir?? That is easy actually, all you need to do is bring a pure heavy cavalry army (Vaegir Knights have more protection than Kerghit Lancers, so they can outfight a few Lancers alone).

Anything walk on foot is not noble enough to fight Kerghit!!!
    Generally knights get destroyed by arrow fire though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Knight View Post
    Generally knights get destroyed by arrow fire though.
    Never happen in my game.

The fact that Elite Horse Archers are so few (and inaccuarte on horse) makes Knights immortal; although a few luck slash by Lancers are more concerning...

Never happen in my game.

The fact that Elite Horse Archers are so few (and inaccuarte on horse) makes Knights immortal; although a few luck slash by Lancers are more concerning...
    You must be lucky then, I get armies that are mostly veteran HAs and they always manage to take more men than I'd like. Usually it's only 4-5 per battle, but the Khergits are the only people I can't win astonishing victories against.

You must be lucky then, I get armies that are mostly veteran HAs and they always manage to take more men than I'd like. Usually it's only 4-5 per battle, but the Khergits are the only people I can't win astonishing victories against.
    I agree Kerghits are tough to deal though; I find myself usually need to get involving the killing a lot when I fight Kerghits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos32 View Post
    Agreed. With the Nords I simply halt my men, get them in close formation and wait of the Khergits to ride into my shield wall and be hacked to death. It works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Agreed. With the Nords I simply halt my men, get them in close formation and wait of the Khergits to ride into my shield wall and be hacked to death. It works pretty well.
    It would not work well if enemy has a lot of horse archers; horse archer AI would not engage in melee most time and prefer flanking shot.

You're talking steppe bandits right?

It would not work well if enemy has a lot of horse archers; horse archer AI would not engage in melee most time and prefer flanking shot.
    Most of them we lancers. But the once I took out the bulk of their troops with our shield wall I just mounted my horse and chased down the archers. Once they run out of ammo they charge to their deaths.

well usually I dismount all my soldiers and move them behind the horses. This way when the lancers charge in they are slowed and my soldiers move in to chop them up while they are moving through the empty horses. then just mount up and kill the remaining archers.

Tsar Brodsky's Avatar Libertus

I'm a bit of a noob as I've only had the game for a week, and my biggest problem so far has been Khergits (as Vaegirs). My current tactic is to mass infantry and archers on a hill and lead knights away for a flanking manouver, but I still lose men to horse archer fire. So, what do I do?
    There is no defeating the Kerghits! We are legion.

I haven't played vanilla since .8x but I as the Vaegirs I used to use Hired Blades and Knights in superior numbers. Or you could try to place yourself in a defensive position behind a hill with archers, some supporting infantry and heavy calvary. Just don't try to siege one of their towns unless you have a ridiculous amount of heavy infantry... every one of their troops has a bow or javelins.
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." Voltaire