Thread: The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue XIII

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Default The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue XIII

Welcome to another issue of the Eagle Standard!

(Still Flyin' High!)
    So my first issue wasn't bad eh'? Well, I hope not, as you've decided to come back. Well, this month sees us with quite a few features articles, including an interview over Roma Surrectum II, and the mod, XVIIth Century Mod: Dominium Maris Baltici (yea, one of those mods you can't stand to type). And of course, our one and only Empress Meg is back with her monthly ES forum reports, and this one, like the others, is bound to get your mouth watering.

Now, just start listening to Astronomy Domine, by Pink Floyd, dim the lights, and enjoy a few hours of peace and quiet with the one, and the only Eagle Standard.

Table of Contents

Forum Reports
    Feature Articles
    Other News and Articles
    Advirtisements

Empire: Total War Forum Report

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This month was a bit slow folks, really it was. Not too much new info from the ETW front, though we do have a few choice tidbits found by those of you who have the heart (or the insanity! ) to find them. So let us press on and take joy in the fact that we are slowly edging closer to the eventual release of Empire Total War next year with this month's offerings!

The big announcement of the past month has been the inclusion of ETW on the Steamworks network. Now from what I understand of Steam, wait I don't even know what it is! Okay, after carefully picking the significant other's brain (he plays way more games then I do, like those FPS ones) I found out that's it's basically a network of game downloads, game rooms and various news clips. It's not some place I'd hang out, but at least it's a well-known company and the service is free. Oh, it supposedly keeps track of your game stats somehow, not sure if I want some third party doing that, but what can you do? See what others have to say here.

In addition to the announcement regarding Steam above, there's been some talk of a special edition release of Empire. Not exactly sure if buyers of this edition get something more for their various monetary units, but does it matter? Some say new or unique units will be implanted in the various special editions.

I love the ideas presented in the Regimental Histories thread. I'm not one for numbers (having a fear of math) but I do like the idea of keeping the history of flags capture, engagements, victories and so on would be a pleasant addition to the ETW series. This time period is one of pompous pedigree and breeding, where the history of one's regiment, like one's family is of prime importance for both stature and bragging rights. Not to mention it tends to help commanders get the feel of their armies and their enemies' forces.

With the lack of news some are eagerly planning the next expansion to the unreleased Empire game. Of course these aren't mods they are discussing, but possible if not probable expansions guesses.

Here we have mention of Russian-Turkish conflicts.

The big winner appears to be a Napoleonic expansion, though the game will end roughly at the ned of slightly after the era's generally well-known conclusive battle. Will CA and Sega take the time to delve deeper into this period with so much competition going round?

Oh and no expansion guess would be complete without a poll thread. Poll away!

Now, back to the meat and bones of the game- the men. Yes your brave pixelmen who defend your homelands and attack those who would do you or your nation harm The TW series has always features strong men, robust and brave, able to take several bullets to the chest, many sabre swings to various appendages, and even a couple of lance thrusts to the spine and still continue to march in the colourful livery of their master. Now however some wonder if this is too much like superhero antics and want to change that. What do you think? Are one shot kills too much for the style and concept of a TW game, or is this something that is missing in the big realism soup bowl?

If you prefer larger, more ponderous projectiles then check out the Cannons and Forts thread. Discuss the new information coming out all the time about forts, their defenses and those that keep and fight them.

If you're tired of talking about actual game features why not check out Markas as he ponders The difficulty of difficulty? Apparently this TWC member feels the TW series is rather easy, even on the hardest difficultly. (Many feel the same way, a quick look at the modding community proves this!) An okay thread on it's own, but some of the comments made within it are what to look at because they help yo liven your current TW game. Not bad eh?

Finally, there is a new interview and new pictures available thanks to sud commander! I suggest reading the second page of the article, some cool tidbits to be found if one looks closely. I personally like that idea of removing the tax management for all provinces, a one shot across the board makes me wonder what they replaced that with in another sector of the game. Here's the link to the article if you want to peruse before you make a comment in the thread: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1044 Incidentally, that's where our images come from this month.

That's all for this month folks. Hopefully we'll see some big news as the holidays draw closer and we move towards the first quarter of next year! And if not, oh well, I'm sure plenty of threads will pop up with some quasi-news.

Now, let's enjoy some Beatles "Live at the BBC" Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpaU8niO7M

Devoirs The Empress

SeniorBatavianHorse: Author of History and Entertainment

SeniorBatavianHorse: Author of History and Entertainment

As an author, it is sometimes hard to stay faithful to your period. Things stray, anachronisms show up. History is sacrificed for entertainment a lot of times as well, (as any faithful EB player can tell you of vanilla RTW) because there's no real way to make all the intricacies and facts of a period come to life in any entertaining way. Right? Wrong.

From his first Romano - British AAR over a year ago on the Invasio Barbarorum mod, SeniorBatavianHorse has shown he has a knack for mixing history and entertainment. His AARs read of messages to and from actual roman commanders on the ground, or biographies of heroic generals in the Alps, or even the story of the humble cavalry commander on the edge of the Sahara. His stories encompass much of the dying Roman world, reveling in the tragedy of the fall of the Roman empire. SBH's aar's are history lessons in the form of an epic tale.

The way SBH accomplishes this is in the way he writes. For the most part, SBH has shunned the traditional AAR formula. That is, take faction leader, fight a ton of battles, and make up the story later. His characters are low level generals and cavalry comanders, sometimes grunt soldiers or even spies. Compared to the sometimes too familiar approach of other AARs, SBH stands out.

SeniorBatavianHorse's credits include many popular AAR's, including At the Limes, Iazyges AAR, AAR for a Day, The Lost Expedition, and The Last of the Romans.

I recently talked with SeniorBatavianHorse to learn about how he writes his AARs, as well as his many other projects.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What got you interested in writing AAR's?

I never knew anything about the whole AAR side of RTW but when I bought a PC just to play the RTW/BI game, I realized there was a wonderful community of writers ouyt there and that inspired me to join in.

What was your first AAR?

I wrote a small late Roman British thing following the exploits of a cavalry commander - I can't remember his name - but as i was still learning how to play the game itself, he died off pretty quickly!

Your AARs are of a very different style than other writers. How did you start writing in this way? And sorry if that's a bit broad haha.
    Oh dear, are they?

I love the period and felt writing the AARs was a great way to help me deepen my knowledge of it. I sort of used the writing as a discipline to research. I also come form a heavily research-based background and a theatre background where research and role-play all figure heavily so it became a natural way to write. I also thing it helps create atmosphere and pathos if you can introduce different voices into the writing.

What is your process like? How do you write your AARs?

I play the game and take 'frap' shots. Edit them and upload - and then put on suitable music and just write as it comes. I'll read up as I come across certain areas which need footnotes or references and then just post it all up. I never re-write or rough out as the game tends to play itself and throw out great material.

Your AARs are very historically accurate, down to the names of offices and dress of the characters. How do you know so much about your period?

I read a lot. I the period and so have absorbed a lot of little details and feeding these into the AARs. I've been writing late Roman stuff since my Arthurian novel back in 1984! In fact, I have just finished writing a late Roman play.

So you write things other than AARs?

Yes, right now 'A Tiger's Leap', the play is being formatted and finished - I've already written the first scene of the next play set in late Constantinople. After Xmas I'm planning a major play on the English Civil War.

Wow! Do you plan on getting anything published?

I'm hoping to be selected for the CCA playwriting mentoring scheme here in Glasgow which would be a major boost. Most of my 'professional' writing is in dramatic form and it's a very hard medium to break into. I love doing the AARs as it allows me to escape from industry-led expectations and indulge me in my passion!

Well shifting gears back to AARs then, many of your characters are rather complex. How do you create these personalities?

I suppose a lot of it is down to atmosphere and the sense of everything falling away in ruin and death. This lends them a certain pathos and heroism which feeds into the battles and the dramas. I suppose living in a dying age brings out the best and the worst in people and that my pen is drawn to portraying men holding up that end as best as they can knowing all the while they will fail . . .

oh god I am a masochist . . .

Nahh, you're just...different...

Haha

One of my favorite of your AARs is the "AAR a day" (for a week). Could you tell our readers the interesting idea behind that?

I'd finished 'At The Limes' and was playing the Imperium Julianorum mod and realized that it was a huge game to play. so the idea came on how to AAR it and then it occurred to me to write snapshots of all the little events in the campaign rather than focusing on the main leaders. I then had the insane idea to write an AAR a day for a week just to test my discipline out. To be honest, I over-stretched myself by the end.

Almost all of your AARs are from the Roman perspective, and many of them are from the WRE perspective alone. Why not take on a barbarian or eastern nation for a change?

I have. There is a Iazyges AAR from the Imperium Julianorum - hold on - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137813
    The tone on that one is very different from the others. It was fun doing it.

But you're not a fan of, say, the Sassanids or the Hepthalites?

No - well, it's more a question of writing about what I know and what moves me, I guess.
    Besides there is just something so sad about the end of the Roman Empire (of course it's just Romantic nonsense!).

Outside of a few battle AARs, most of your works have been with Invasio Barbarorum. What is it about that mod that you so enjoy?

I bought a PC (I am a mac boy you see) just to play that mod.
    It's very detailed about the period and for someone like me a dream come true to play.

So what's next in the pipeline? Could we have a preview, or is it too early to tell?

I've just launched an English Civil War AAR over in the MTWII AAR forums and will be using that delve deeper into the period but really I am waiting for the release of IJ2 to do a Julian AAR and of course IBII - which has got me very excited!!!

Scene from "A Little Winter Love in a Darke Corner"
    Now that the play is finished I have more free time to write on here, which is good.

Any advice to aspiring AARists?

Keep doing it. Honestly, the first few posts seem daunting and sometimes the lack of response can be disheartening - but keep pushing on with it. Your writing will improve and readers will start to follow your posts. Have fun and write what moves you!
    After a time the story will write itself.

Alright well thanks for the interview!

Thanks - and good luck with the article!
    My cheques in the post, right?

Yeah check's in the mail
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you've enjoyed this look at a talented AARist in our community. Next month I'll be taking a look at all the great new community AAR's in the forum, as well as previewing my favorite AAR of the month.

Until next issue,

Winter

Links:
    SeniorBatavianHorse's profile
    A Little Winter Love in a Darke Corner ( SBH's current aar mentioned in interview)

Ancient Empires Elysium

Friday night. I'm worn out and tired after a long day. I don't quite feel like going to sleep, and I have no more obligatory jobs in TWC. Time to 'surf the TWC'. Perhaps a new mod to play? Yes, that sounds good. Go into Rome: Total War Modifications forum, and the first appealing mod that bursts out at me... Ancient Empires Elysium!

I hadn't seen this mod before, and curiosity got the better of me. I first went to the preview thread, where I expected to get the most starting information about the mod. Scrolling down, I went through wonderfully designed faction symbols, beautifully made campaign maps, awesomely detailed buildings, and exquisite-looking battlefields and unit skins. I was absolutely enraptured by it. In an effort to learn more about it, and to introduce it to more members of the TWC community, I had an interview with the head of the mod limes.

1. Please tell us a bit about yourself.

Hi. I’m 34 years old. I live in Warsaw, Poland and...
    ...little bit too classical form , but I really like classics. Music, painting, history. That’s why I’m here and do what I do with Rome Total War. I finished faculty of law and administration. I work on law, economic and geopolitical matters in real life. I’m still try to learn the world I live in . I like Chopin, impressionism, The Black Crowes, Guns n’ Roses, Pearl Jam and red wine. In my free time I design high poly models, draw images and love women .
    My modding adventure, haha, was an accident. I decided to participate in RTR forum discussions. Reason was very simple – learn more English. I hope you understand what I write here now . I can say from wider perspective – it’s nicest accident I’ve had in my life.

2. Interesting. So when and how did the idea of this mod as an addition to the RTR platform emerge and how has it developed?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

...as far as I remember in 2003 I started to work with few guys on Draknar’s Mod Collection (DMC). By occasion I would like to thank to Draknar for good piece of work.
    In the beginning I was busy with mod graphics in DMC. I made models and skins. All of my team was full of enthusiasm and sure that we could do something exceptional. We were like a football team . Modding is hard and time consuming occupation. After couple of months of hard work a few members had to leave the team. They hadn’t enough to sacrifice for mod development. A few of us were busy with school, work or love . Ahmose - mod leader was preparing his wedding. Only real desperados will remain on stage – I always say. Finally DMC mod was developed and released as Ancient Empires. It was really good piece of work. Of course the base mod for DMC and later Ancient Empires was the wonderful Rome Total Realism mod (different versions) and its final - Gold release.
    In the meantime when the small AE team was busy making different stuff, Creative Assembly released new RTW 1.5 patch. Not so long after that a few modding dinosaurs (like Lestat, Marcus Camillus, Florin80) decided to pick up the gauntlet. They started to move RTR Gold onto new platform with all nice features 1.5 patch had offered. Good work men .
    I couldn’t leave AE on thin ice . I knew the new Platinum platform was the future . I started alone to move AE onto 1.2 patched platform, after that to 1.5 patched RTR Platinum. After hard work the mod was completely adapted to the new platform. In case of different mods it’s not enough to copy new files from other mod. Most files had to be re-coded or coded from scratch.
    RTR Platinum was still developing. The Platinum Team added new things to their Rolls-Royce. To keep AE up-to-date I had to adapt it to the new version of Platinum, but AE always had its own face. AE features had to be coded and used in another way than in RTR Platinum. AE used Metropolis Mod by Chaotica, Naval Mod by Desaix and few other mini-mods not used in RTR Platinum. Besides I was tired chasing Platinum Team . One day I decided to create separate independent AE and next AEE platform I’m still working on. Now AE and AEE are not mods for Platinum, however it still uses RTR units.
    In the midst of above activity Marcus Cornelius Marcellus (MCM) - spiritus movens of RTR mod in those times offered me position of RTR developer. I always dreamed of RTR wings (developer signature) . I was appointed as RTR Graphical stuff leader
    ... Then my real life called me. After some time in RTR Team I had to concentrate on my own life.
    My relations with both Teams are very good. I can say many older members who knows times of RTR forum (not only) are my friends.

3. What is the chief aim of the mod?

Main goal is to give people a well designed and challenging strategic platform where they could learn how to analyse, plan and execute their own decisions. Many elements of classical theory of strategy are illustrated in mod features. Everything is accompanied by nice scenery. Main AEE motto is THINK AND PLAN.

4. On a scale of 1-10, how accurate is the mod compared to history, and if not very, then why?

My answer is: 7, but I’m very self-demanding .

History is discipline of science. I know theory of sources that must be taken into consideration before any material will be approved as historical.
    AEE is made as historical mod, but not everything is ultra historical. Many times I had to explain that things that are not historically evidenced have to be imagined. I’ll not stop making units due to lack of good historical evidence. Take Etruscans as an example.
    Computer games should be educative and give pleasure. Many things can’t be made realistic because of game engine limitations. I try to keep AEE historical.

5. I read in your preview that the mod involves many "unique ideas and works". What are some of these?

Yes, it’s true. I implemented to AEE many unique ideas. I tried to “place” them in game accurately and give the same way wider range of possibilities to players. As I said before AEE is built on idea of creation “choices”. The more possibilities the more interesting game play is. I will present here only few of them. Full list is available on AEE forum. Though Eagle Standard is not designed to be book about AEE . So:

- AEE has new original heavy models and skins for new units. Many elements like crests, belts, shield’s bosses, braces, etc. are not simple texture. They are real 3d elements what makes unit more detailed,

- I made a new original big map with real topographical projections (Mt. Olympus - Greece, Alps with Mt. Blanc, alpine passes, Mt. Ararat - Armenia, Khyber Pass - Afghanistan, part of Himalayas, etc. etc), new names of towns and cities, secret passages, ravines, big mountains, navigable rivers,

- Navigable Rivers with Ports will increase pleasure of gameplay. Enemy will use it to sneak to your town and cities in very tricky way,

- AEE has new realistic game environment like trees, skies, shrubs, flowers. I spent a month of sleepless nights making new models of vegetations,

- recruitment system with Roma metropolis and auxilia system. Dual recruitment system within Roman faction what is shown as possibility of building different Roman and Rome-dependant structures within the same faction. Your way to glory depends on reforms and conquer. You may decide when and where you want to have Roman, Samnite, Lucan, Umbrian, etc. units.

- originally designed military reforms,

- new city walls,

- new 2d art like faction symbols, interface, loading screens, other 2d stuff ,

- AEE custom battlefields. Well designed terrain maps that are placed on strategy map. Player can fight battle during campaign at Trasimene Lake, at Olympia, Pyramids, Babylonian Ziggurat, etc.

- “Cultures” mod makes game more realistic. Greco-Romans, Zoroastrianism, Paganism will make your life hard. Be wise instead of harsh ruler. Plan your social strategy. Move generals with special abilities to disobedient towns. Use spies with new traits to decrease social defiance. Don’t forget that killing is not the best way to get social balance. Don’t forget that killed men could be part of your army. Emptied frontier towns are threat to your domain. Build migration buildings and recruit settlers in disobedient towns. Resistance will be decreased. Move them into big Roman towns to break their affiliation. Recruit and place Roman settlers in unruly places to get peace. THINK and PLAN.

- Migration - Buildings are important natural support for "cultures" feature and social affiliation. You can built settlers and organize colonization from bigger cities to smaller ones,

- Horde feature for Gauls, Germans and Sarmatians,

- Roman Rebels - "loyalty" feature that will affect your political planning. Connected with political traits of Roman republican system.

6. What major difficulties have you come across in the making of the mod?

The greatest challenge is not modding itself. The greatest thing for the modder is friendship, people you can trust, people you won’t be cheated by. I learnt a lot about people on TWC.

7. I suppose that is very true. What are the main changes of the mod as compared to RTR?

RTR mod is visited on average by 30 persons in one moment and AEE by 6 .

8. Hehe, that must get annoying at times. What do you think is the best part in creating a mod such as this?

Staring at monitor 10 hours a day coding, drawing, modeling, trying to invent something new that could make players happy. Then you go on your local forum and read post:

“Hi. I think your units are not historical” .

I haven’t played RTW, even AEE for very long time. All time is filled with hard work. I sleep 3-4 hours a day and sometimes I’m sick of it all . I don’t make AEE for money. I make it for pure pleasure and friendship. There are few modders who think that modding it’s the best way to become immortal. UFO is more rational.

9. What parts of the mod do you thinking players will like the most, and why?

Everything . That’s why I still work on AEE . Now, serious. Graphical form of AEE is really at high level, but most important thing is strategy and planning. If you like challenge - try AEE.

10. Because I only see a Beta, I presume the mod is still at work. What stage is it up to?

The mod you can see is Ancient Empires (AE). It was beta before I started to think about making separate stand alone mod. I can call it discontinued alpha. You can find it here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125115

AE is released with a patch and few fixes. AE is not developed any more.

Ancient Empires Elysium (AEE) is quite new mod. I work on AEE.

About AEE. Mod mechanics is almost done. I mean all text files that contain ideas which makes AEE different form other mods. Big map is done too as well as trees and most parts of game environment. As you can see AEE has new members. I hope they will help me with mod. Week ago S.P.Q.R. Praetorian and loet66 joined AEE. S.P.Q.R Praetorian prepares new stuff for AEE battlefield, bob01 will make descriptions and text edition, loet66 makes new custom battle fields that will be put onto strategic map. CvanI helps me with forum very much. I’ll bet he would like to beta-test AEE. We all want . I’ll try to finish AEE by Christmas, but it can be too hard task. I don’t want to promise anything.

Thank you for the interview, limes.

Here is some of the great work that has been done at AEE:

Link to AEE Preview thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125119
    Link to AEE subforum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=512

Roma Surrectum II

Well, here we are in another issue of the Eagle Standard. This time, continuing my mod spotlight of Roma Surrectum, I sit down for an interview with the main leaders on the team, dvk901 and tone. Sit back, get a coffee or tea or whatever you drink, relax, and let's get some juicy gossip from these two stars. This is Entertainment Tonight! No? Well, I thought not, let's carry on shall we.

DVK

Can you explain to the readers the history of Roma Surrectum and the inspiration behind it?

DVK: Roma Surrectum basically came from a mod I was making for myself, based at first on the time period when Emperor Justinian ruled in the Eastern Roman Empire, and attempted to restore the west to Roman control....thus, 'Rome Arises', and the name.

However, along the way I decided that I wanted to create a whole series of Roman focused 'chapters', you might say, in the history of the Empire. So I went back to the original RTW time period and started modding RTW, again, just for myself, with textures and various improvements.
    During that time, I recall someone asking if it was possible to add all of Rome's Legions to the game, as in the real named and numbered legions. The reply was that it was unlikely, because it was a lot of work, RTW was 'dying' because of MTW2's impending release, and there just wasn't enough room in DMB or enough interest to make it worthwhile. But at least on a personal level, I thought it was a good idea. So I did it......adding 35 individual Roman legions with their own banners and individual histories.

Having put so much work into this after a while, I asked one day in the general forum if there would be any interest in such a mod.....fully expecting that the answer would be 'No'. People were generally negative about RTW mods anymore, and all the talk was about MTW2 anyway. But several people...including Cherryfunk and Tone...DID express interest. It just 'balloned' from there.

What does Roma Surrectum attempt to accomplish?

I readily admit that Roma Surrectum was originally to be a Roman focused mod. I am a great fan of everything Roman; a history buff, and just loved the art and architecture of the Greeks and Romans.
    I felt RTW could do better in this area, but also, I had a gut feeling that portraying the Romans as a more 'real' people...with their individuality, a semblance of their vision and pride, and just little bits of history and art to sorta make them 'jump off the page' might be popular. RTW was then, not just a game, but an 'experience' and a submersion in a very incredible time in human history. So many young people know nothing of history as well, so this was a way to grow interest in an Empire with a fantastic history.

What lead to creating Roma Surrectum 2?

First of all, a 'growing appreciation' of not only the Romans, but all the peoples of this time. The more people joined our team, the more we began to learn and appreciate the histories and cultures of the Greeks, the Armenians, Parthia...well, all of the cultures involved. In large part we began also to appreciate how oddly and wrongly the so called 'barbarians' were portrayed in RTW, and I along with many others began to appreciate how beautiful and unique these people were. So we decided to do our best to portray them also, as real and in depth as we could.

Also, as Tone's skills began to increased by exponential leaps, it became apparent that RS was going to get a total unit makeover.......and he loves the Barbarians, so faction changes were made and we started working on a whole new mod.

Who is on the team and what do they do?

Tone, Dr, Hobo PHD., leif_erikson, pacco, bebbe, Burninator and Maxim are our texture guys. Tone has done all new models, and has these guys creating astoundingly detailed and beautiful units. Burninator has a passion also for getting rid of inaccurate weaponry...so all weapons in RS2 will be new and as accurate as possible. Pacco has been doing Legion banners, unit cards, art and graphics. He's GOOD! Hope I didn't leave anyone out there.

Keravnos and a friend of his (both Greek) have been involved in giving us invaluable information and history on Greek warriors of the time, along with Swhunter. Mulattothrasher, Drtad, Cherryfunk, Rory o'kane, pseudocaesar, Roman_man#3, Dr, Hobo PHD. and thefuzz others have contibuted historical information, advice across the board. Aja5191 is also head of publicity.

Worm, The Sloth, HemilcoBarca, Dr, Hobo PHD, Mulattothrasher, Brusilov, MarcusTullius, Rory o'kane, SquidSK, Northern Ranger, Centuryx have been working on unit descriptions, graphics, the map, and new buildings and descritpions. Gotthard, gennosuke43, Tone, Pacco and myself have been working on economics and 'other graphical enhancements'.

Maxim Victor and Arn, I think, are new members who are revamping RS2 with all new music. I hope I didn't leave anyone out...sorry if I did, there are so many.

What are some of the new features that would make me decide to take a week of sick days from work/school to play RS2 when it is released?

RS2 will sort of pick up where RS1.5 left off. Three Free People factions...the old 'rebels', Free Barbarians, and Free Greeks will not only challenge your attempts to rule...but they will present you with scores of 'mini-factions' based on unique units all over the map.....from Barbarian tribes in the north to the city of Athens, Rhodes, the Achaian League, Bosporan, Galatia, Cyprus, Syracuse, Massilia, the eastern Iberians, Illyria, Boiotia, Numidia and many, many others. The old hum-drum Slaves will no longer be, as every unit you fight will be as well done and detailed as most any other. The new music, though in it's infancy now, will be wonderfully done. This will be a 'historical' mod, as accurate and detailed as possible.....but a major enhancement to RTW that plays like RTW. We feel the game is fun as it is, and find no need to try and 'guide it' or force anything to happen. You start to play, and from there you make history yourself. And the Romans.......my, my, what can I say about them? Tone has saved the best for last perhaps. I can say without feeling like I'm snubbing anyone that the Roman units and Legions will be the most historically accurate and detailed renders possible. The first time I saw them I was just stunned! I don't know if you'll even be able to PLAY....one might just want to stare! Every unit in RS2 is beautifully rendered, mind you...but the Romans will be the 'candy', the icing on the cake.

There are also a few 'surpises' which I cannot reveal at this time.......let's just say that RS2 will be 'visually appealing' in every respect.

What sets RS2 apart from other mods?

I have enjoyed every mod for RTW and BI, and every one shows the committment and creativity of its makers to alter a game 'just because they can', and then give it to everyone for free. I guess the simple answer would be that we want to take RTW to it's maximum potential as a game in every respect possible....so all of us in one way or another have dug, torn apart, studied, questioned, brain-stormed about this game and it's workings so we can do that. One thing we don't like is 'you can't do that'. Sure, there are things you can't do beyond the limitations of the code.......but believe me, there is a crapload you can do beyond what has ever been done!

Any plans for after Roma Surrectum 2?

Well, a long rest. I have been working on this over two years none stop. But yeah, there are things I have in mind to do. They are just 'dreams' right now, however.

What do you find to be the most rewarding or enjoyable part about modding?

Getting to know other people from all over the world. Sharing common interests. Seeing young people excited about 'boring old history'. Doing things that people said couldn't be done.
    Doing things you didn't even KNOW could be done! Seeing a very large and ponderous project actually start to take shape and come together...however painful the process is. Stuff like that.

What advice would you give to any new modders out there?

First, have a vision, and stick to it no matter what the 'nay-sayers' say. People told me that RTW was dead, and there was no sense making any new mods for it. Since then, quite a number of new mods have appeared, old ones in the works finished, and new ideas just keep springing up all over. I personally think old RTW has a lot of appeal, and a good long life ahead of it just because it's a supremely interesting time period, and very easy to mod, and there is a growing wealth of information on how to do that.

Second, be committed to a 'long-haul'. It can be frustrating at times when there is so much to do, and so few to do it. We started with two people and a bunch of ideas....and it took a long time to grow to where we are now.

Third, don't try to 're-invent the wheel'. Do something unique and different. Come up with new ways to gain appeal and interest. Move your time frame a little in RTW, and you can pretty much change the whole game...new factions, new units, etc. There are a TON of things that haven't been done, and you'd be amazed how many people would be interested in them. I've seen a number of mods fizzle because there is nothing new in them....so yeah, I think new ideas are the key.

What is your favourite legion, and why?

Legio V Macedonica VII Pia VII Fidelis.....this legion, levied by Augustus, became an Eastern Empire legion after the fall of the west......thus had a proven over 500 year history as a cohesive military unit. An incredible feat.

If you lived in the times of the Romans, would you join a legion or try to make your fame elsewhere?

I think I would've pursued a career as a historian.

And finally, what is your favourite faction after the Romans?

Pergamon. At this time, the only growing Greek faction that had kinda taken over the 'championing' of Greek culture.

This next batch of questions is directed at tone, I hope he's prepared.
    Tone

What is your history in modding?

I bought RTW just over 2 years ago initially because I'm really interested in the Napoleonic era, and wanted to have a play with Napoleonic Total War 2 whilst I was waiting for this other game Histwar: Les Grognards to come out (still waiting!)

I've got absolutely no history in modding before I joined RS. I've gradually picked up more skills as I've worked on the mod.

What made you decide to join Roma Surrectum?

In a sense, there never was a decision to join.

When I first bought RTW, all I ended up playing initially was as the Romans so I got interested in the mods that gave Rome a generous helping of different units. SPQR and a mod called Legion III (which ended up being banned from the site due to its using material from other mods without permission) got my interest particularly to begin with although I played with most of the other mods too - DarthMod, BareBonesWars, RTR, EB. Then I caught site of this new mod that was in development which sounded really interesting - something a bit like a cross between SPQR and some other ones with some new factions thrown in like Pergamon and the Bosporan Kingdom. It all sounded pretty interesting so I volunteered as a beta tester. Maybe without any experience I felt that I might be more able to shape things in some way like this than in some already well established mod.

One of the things I'd seen in Bare Bones which I really liked the look of were the new skies that Repman had brought in. I thought I could do something similar for RS and had a little go and produced some good ones and some not so good ones.

The next thing I realised needed a bit of work done was to make the 35 different legions all look a bit different from each other. I realised that just with some shield changes we could give each legion a slightly different character. That was my first bit of skinning.

My initial plan was just to do a few small changes like those and then get back to playing, but the changes and development of RS has gradually grown and grown into this giant of a thing, which at times it feels is never going to end.

I’ve seen firsthand the dedication you’ve shown for this mod. Would you say it’s been a rewarding experience?

Yes it has, but it's been harder work than I ever believed I was letting myself in for. I've learnt a lot of graphics skills, learnt a shedload of ancient history, and had some fun.

The team has been great, and it's been a real pleasure working alongside DVK who's really pulled the team together and had this fantastic overview of the whole mod, cherryfunk who's thrown in some great ideas and historical material, Keravnos who's had a massive influence on the Greek side of things and has slaved away providing historical concepts for units, and the graphics guys like Dr Hobo PhD, who's contributed some great eastern and hellenistic units as well as a lot of historical info about eastern horse archer culture, Leif Erikson, who's probably now skinned nearly as many units for RS2 as I have, including some really exquisite stuff like the Dacian shields, and Pacco who's done some great skinning and 2D work. That's just to name a few of the main guys I've been working with.

About how long does it take to create one of your masterpieces?

That's a really difficult question. It's so variable. If it's starting from scratch trying to create something completely new like a new helmet or something it could easily take 10 hours or so to model and skin something new. The problem is that as I've got faster, my standards have gone up too, so things aren't really that much quicker than when I first began .

What is your favourite unit you’ve created?

That is so difficult to answer.

Anything with an interesting helmet! - I love interesting helmets...so the Syracusan cavalry are one of my favourites, and the Phrygian heavy cavalry, and the Getai spearmen. I think the elite Saka cataphract will definitely be one of my favourite units.

Overall though, I would say that it's likely to be one of the Roman units - maybe the imperial centurions or some of the vexillarii....or even the Praetorian cavalry signifier. They've certainly been a lot of fun to model and skin. There's so much quality data on them - monuments, helmets, gladii remains - that it's really helped to give them a pretty authentic and detailed look. It's also been very much a collaborative effort - I did the majority of the skinning and modelling, but Pacco (one of my teammates) has produced some great shields (particularly the vexillarii ones) and Burninator has produced this astounding variety of gladius models.

What is your favourite faction, and why?

Macedonia was a lot of fun. I think we've done something very different with them than has been done by other mods in terms of unit variety, the overall look of things, and so on.

Rome I'm really pleased with.

I've got more and more interested in eastern nomadic cultures since starting and I'm certainly looking forward to playing all of these.

What do you think of when you see old units of yours compared to new ones?

Embarrassed at times. It makes me want to start all over again and reskin the old ones from scratch. I've learnt so much since I started.

Part of the problem now is working within invisible time constraints. Although we haven't set ourselves a definitive release date for RS2, I'm aware that I can't linger on things for too long in the quest for perfection and there has to be a point where we say....OK, well that's good enough.

Any plans for after RS2?

I'm planning on having a good play of RS2 as each of the factions. No doubt there'll be one or two things that need fixing or improving though.

Can you describe the mod in 10 words?

I'm useless at that sort of thing, but here goes...

Fun, historical and challenging.

Got any sneak peeks for the readers?

XVIIth Century Mod: Dominium Maris Baltici

XVIIth Century Mod: Dominium Maris Baltici

"XVIIth Century Mod is total conversion of M2:TW set in years 1570-1700. First planned version will include three factions - Sweden, Poland-Lithuania and Russia - and their conflicts over strategically important region of Livonia."

Hi there readers!
    I’m Carl, and I have just interviewed the Mod leader of the upcoming Mod “The XIIth century “

The XVIIth century has always been the most fascinating period of military history for me, when gunpowder entered the stage, and professional soldiers replaced the old feudal armies.

Well, let’s speak with the mod leader himself, Thrasing_mad!

Tell us a bit about yourself

Hello, my name is Arek and I`m 26 year old history/strategy games geek from Grudziądz, Poland.

When and why did you join TWC?

Back in February 2007. I`ve been looking for patch for buggy vanilla M2TW. No, I never worked on any other mod.

When did you begin modding? Have you worked on any other mods TW series or otherwise?

I`ve started to make models at the beginning of year 2008. Initially I just wanted to help with 'Pike and Musket 2' mod, but when it turned out that project is dead I decided to try making modification on my own.
    Also, you can find my 'Heavy Hussar' model in Stainless Steel.

What was the first TW game that you played?

Shogun:TW long, long time ago.

What is your favourite mod?

I guess that I won`t be original on that matter - Stainless Steel right before Broken Crescent.

When did you become interested in the history of the conflicts regarding Livonia?

When I started to learn about history of Poland, after all it was Golden Age for my country in XVI-XVIIth centuries. Also, Europa Universalis series influenced my historical interest quite a lot.

Now on to your mod!, whats the aim with it?

To put it simply - to recreate battlefields of late Renaissance/Baroque epoch, with realism, good graphics, and fun gameplay. Russian, Polish-Lithuanian and Swedish warfare of that time were so different from each other, that it should make for a good and interesting game.

On a scale of 1-5, how historicly accurate will the mod be?

4. 5 would be impossible due to M2:TW engine limitations. I`m trying to be as accurate as possible, adding a lot of small details on 3D models. For example, infamous Oprichniki of Ivan the Terrible carried severed dogs heads and brooms at their saddles 'to sniff out treason and the enemies of the Tsar, and sweep them away' - you can actually find those items on my models if you look close enough.

What parts of the mod do you think will be most appealing to players, and why?

I think (and hope) that land battles. We`ll focus on battle graphics, mechanics, and AI as much as possible. On the other hand I would like to keep campaign gameplay simple (and without too much micro-managing). After all M2TW is not Europa Universalis and never will be. However, we`ll definitely work a lot on campaign diplomacy AI.

have you come across any major difficulties in the making of the mod?

Yeah, the biggest problem was initial lack of team. I`m making all unit models on my own, and it soon turned out that it`s awful lot of work to make total conversion with 70-80 new models on my own. Thankfully, in time I`ve found people like qwert, Phunkracy or Griffin.Gen who decided to help with mod.
    Also, it might be difficult to make good and challenging battle AI suited for 'pike and musket' warfare, but we`re working on it with some good initial results.

Being the head of a brand new mod like this must be a tough job, isn't it?

Not really, if you have a few, but dedicated, people everything is going smoothly towards goal.

Is it too early to ask for a release date?

Yes, i`m afraid. I can say that 2-3 months would be quite plausible date for a first version.

Do you have anything to add?

Well, maybe I`ll just post some images and videos, so that some of ES readers might become interested on my mod..

Wait, i'll do it for you!

Video preview 1[/url]
    Video preview 2[/url]

Thank you Thrashing_mad for this great interview!

And thats it!, be sure to download the mod when it's finnished!
    I will for sure
    XVIIth Century Mod: Dominium Maris Baltici[/url]

Cheers, Carl von Döbeln.

XVI Century: Total War

I recently contacted [user]Rydwan[/user], mod leader of XVI Century: Total War about doing an interview with his amazing and highly anticipated mod. The mod itself hasn't been released yet, but the team is making good time, so expect a grand release soon. The mod is highly revolutionary, map wise, faction wise, unit wise, etc. and this interview will surely get you interested!

1.) Describe your mod as a whole, your aims, plans etc.

The idea of the mod is to make an playable and historicaly correct game, which takes place in the Renaissance. We will see the biggest conflicts, like the Conquest of America, Italian Wars, the birth of Habsburg Empire, Polish-Moscow wars etc. The main feature will be the historical correctness: specific units will appear in the right historical moment. The situations like in the MTW2, when the Reiters could be recruited in the beginning of the XV century, but historically they were formed in the middle of XVI century, will not appear. Because this is going to be a Renaissance mod we’re planning to create spectacular battles participating pikeman, arquebusiers… we also plan to limit the importance of cavalry in Western Europe and raise it in the Eastern Europe. We also want to limit the recruitment, make the units less available comparing to mercenaries. This will help making the battles more exciting, when the defeat hurts more. It will make mercenaries more important and will increase the amount of money we will spend on them. We’re not making a mod for masses, I’m not interested in the number of fans… we want to make a mod, that will be popular among people, which pay attention to historical correctness and who are interested in Renaissance period.

2.) What gave you the idea to create a mod with such a different time frame then many other Kingdom's Mods?

It’s a difficult question, it was such long time ago, maybe one year, but I’ll try to recall.

When I saw the Renaissance units in M:TW2 I started to become interested in this period of time. So I started to search for a mod in TWC but I realized that it doesn’t exist. As a result I tried to make the mod by myself (I’m a modder). In the beginning I only wanted to modify the factions, add some provinces and units, but in time it has changed to something really big, like EB, RTR, SS, DLV.
    What I like in the Renaissance is the crossing of two eras: the medieval era and the modern era, the confrontation between a pike and a musket, two formations from two eras fighting together… and don’t forget those extravagant dresses.

3.) What would you say is the most innovative part of your mod?

I think the Renaissance period in the mod is the most standing out. There hasn’t been a full Renaissance mod, and I have seen a few projects of this kind, but they haven’t done so much changing in the game, like our mod.
    Our units also are standing out. We are planning to change the units completely. This is going to be something different from the RTW mods, which were giving new rosters, new units, new skins and different from other MTW2 mods, in which only skins were modified.

4.) What has the hardest part of running a mod been for you?

In the mod the biggest problems we had with the map working correctly, but my personal problems were with the French units. The amount of them, their unique dresses, hats, weapons… on modeling and texturing them I’ve spend a lot of time. But the second skinner helped me, so it wasn’t a disaster like with the Moscow units. I just couldn’t get them right, so I started to do work on the Swedish units hoping, that after the releasing the first version of the mod my abilities in texturing and modeling will increase, allowing me to work on the Moscow units again.

5.) What are you looking forward to the most? What do you think will get the best reception?

I pay special attention to the historical correctness, for example the borders and important persons like Leonardo da Vinci. I think that the advertising thing will do the before premiere units screens and previews. I hope that the idea of making the first really big Renaissance mod will be the best advertisement.

6.) Can we get a faction list?

Of course, the list of the factions and units is available on the mod's forum website: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=644 . We talk there with the users about the fractions, so everybody can have an effect on the mod. Here’s the full faction list:

-Rzeczpospolita (Poland-Lithuania)
    -Habsburg Monarchy (Austria)
    -Kingdom of Hungary
    -Kingdom of Spain
    -Kingdom of France
    -Kingdom of Denmark
    -Ottoman Empire
    -Grand Duchy of Moscow
    -Kingdom of England
    -Republic of Venice
    -Papal States
    -Aztecs
    -Apache
    -Electorate of Brandenburg
    -Electorate of Saxony
    -Confederation of Swiss
    -Duchy of Milan
    -Republic of Florence
    -Kingdom of Naples
    -Mameluke Sultanate
    -Khanate of Crimea
    -Principality of Moldavia
    -Country of Hospitalers
    -Kingdom of Scotland
    -Kingdom of Portugal
    -Kingdom of Maroco
    -Persia of Safavides
    -Kingdom of Sweden
    -Electorate of Bavaria
    -Republic of Genoa
    -Rebels

7.) What faction(s) are you looking forward to playing most and why?

I think Rzeczpospolita, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth definitely. I’m Polish so I’m emotionally bond with this fraction. In MTW2 I’ve played mostly the Kingdom of Poland; when I was playing other countries I preferred not to make war with Poland. The second fraction that I will enjoy playing is going to be the Habsburg Monarchy. I’m a huge fan of the German landsknechts.

8.) Will gun-powder troops make a large portion of recruitable soldiers, considering the time period, or will they be harder to recruit like they were in M2TW.

The gunpowder units will be available in the beginning of the game, just like archers and crossbowmen in MTW2, with the exception of Middle East countries, like Egypt or Persia, where the gunpowder weaponry will be less available and much more primitive in the beginning. Firearms are going to be much less effective than in the MTW2, where these kind of units had extremely high accuracy and power. In the mod the rifleman will have low accuracy, medium power… their main weapon will be the psychological effect.

9.) The map you've created is different from many other mod maps in that it not only keeps the America's, but expands on them. Why did you do this, and what are your game-play plans for them? If possible, can you post a picture of the political map, with the factions borders?

Conquering the New World just like the Italian Wars and the Turkish Invasion on Europe is the most characteristic aspect of the Renaissance period. We have made the American continent bigger, almost as big as Europe. We didn’t wanted to limit the conquers to a few small provinces and few turns. We want to make colonization wars between the European countries in the America. A bigger map also helps in imitating Native American tribes, their size i.e the Aztec Empire. It helps also in placing the Apache tribes on the map, which should be a variation from normal rebels and revolted provinces.

Map with factions borders:

10.) With the Americas being 'conqourable' how will you handle the AI's pathfinding? (As in, how will you make sure that the AI actually attacks the Americas at some point?)

I’m planning to make and event in the game: the arrival of Hernan Cortes in Mexico. This event will bring an army of conquistadors appear on the map and it will also make the American colonization possible for European countries. It was a historical moment, which has started the European expeditions to the New World. But I’m not planning the make, that an fraction will colonize a specific province. The AI will decide what it will attack. I don’t think, that it will be a big problem making the AI to treat the America like another seaside region. In MTW2 the Spanish had not had problems attacking the Great Britain. We have a experienced scripter in our team, so it’s going to work.

11.) You said the Beta is going to be released this month? Are any major things being ommited to be released later, or is this the bulk of it?

I don’t think, that we will manage to release the mod in this month. We have still problems with the French units. We planed to make a simple campaign with 12 factions in the first version of the mod, but because of some problems, that have appeared, the first version of the mod will have only custom battles, maybe some historical battles. But I think that it’s not to be going to be a boring mod, the amount of XVI century units and the possibility of playing on the net will give many hours of good gaming. The campaign will appear in the next version.

12.) Do you have an exact date set for the release?

As you know we’re planning to release the mod in this month, but this is not going to happen. But I know, that in couple of days we will show the two new previews at the same time.

Some pictures from the mods many previews (Image Heavy)

Foot Conquistadores (1501-1560)

Spanish Musketeers (1560-1576)

-Serdengecti

Ottoman General

Kopijnicy

Pawężnicy

English Musketeers

**This map is the old map- they have experienced some problems with it, and are in the process of making a new one, but it will still be along the same lines.

Picture Of The Week Roundup And News

Picture of the Week 118 Winner
    Once again Toboe rises to the top. Breaking the mold from past submissions, it was a "back-to-basics" approach that has captivated the masses with this enthralling pic......

Toboe is close to the reaching that rare and coveted level of competition - the PotW Silver Medal. Lets hope he earns it!

Picture of the Week 119 Winner
    All raise a cheer for mollsomg! A solid victory in PotW 119 with this pic......

The brooding forest

Picture of the Week 120 Winner
    Giovi once again emerges victorious in PotW 120. What an exellent screen.

Prepare for paradise

Picture of the Week 121 Winner
    A true classic....winner by a mile is mastaace. When I first saw this entry I was stunned, by the sheer amount of effort and then by the ingenuity...blending all those screenshots into the picture we have here....

Ghulam Mosaic (wide pic)

simply amazing....

Picture of the Week 122 Votes going on Now!

Picture of the Week 123 Submissions!

Dominion of the Sword

Dominion of the Sword is a highly ambitious mod, originally dubbed the 'super-mod'. Maximising the basic focus of vanilla, Dominion of the Sword takes M2TW-Kingdoms to groundbreaking depths and inspiring new heights.

One year in private forum development, the first preview is finally here. The Preview exists in downloadable format only!!!
    You will need Windows Office (for those that lack this program, a free alternative: OpenOffice is recommended from www.openoffice.org).

The Preview-Download is a multi-media experience, featuring a faction-by-faction presentation, an introduction to the revolutionary Tech Tree and a look at a series of advanced scripting -all bringing the Middle Ages to life for the first time! Experience for yourself the mod that everyone is talking about… but no one had dreamed possible

DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M2NBE9Q5
    The preview is approx 320MB, 200 pages, and a running time of 90 mins

East of Rome

East of Rome mod has released there 4th preview from the stunning Icedie of South, this will focus in the Lombards. See it here

We here at the ES attempt to make each issue the best it could be, so please notify me if you see any errors in the issue at all. Hope you enjoyed the issue, and many more to come-

Watch out for that Effervescing Elephant-

The Lizard King

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Default Re: The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue XIII

Great job guys!

I'm especially excited to see AEE getting the attention it so richly deserves.
    Last edited by Finn; December 04, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Great to have it up

A nice issue guy's!

Yup really nice!!
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I will violate the treaties that concern the n00bs posting in these sub-forums,but eh...what the heck.Who cares about ban.

I would like to say,I enjoyed this Issue and it's an great example to me.I thank you,the team of ES,for making this.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Thanks all! It means a lot!

Great work.it was very nice to read it!!!
    Last edited by Lord Willy; December 05, 2008 at 08:31 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Great to hear all these positive comments. Thanks all!

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Wonderful issue guys, really enjoyed it. Articles on Roma Surrectum II and XVIIth Century mod were truly beautiful.
    Keep up the good work .
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Thanks mate

great work thanks for the ad

Batavian's a man after my own heart. Some defeats are more glorious than victory! Good interview.
    Son of PW

Great new issue!

Need life @ Mosaic!