Thread: Can I intrest you in?......

Default Can I intrest you in?......

Though I have not read the Books,I must tell you that the "A song of Ice and Fire" bares a resembelence to the Videssos novels written by Harry Turteldove.Both series are based off historical periods and times(AsoIoF=War of the roses and Medieval europe,Videssos=Byzantine history) and both are very much alike in the use of magic in the world.(In the videssos novels,Magic is not used in war.Battlemagic is not really efective because men's passions offten get in the way of useing the spell properly.It takes preperation for magic to work.though exteamly powerful wizards have been know too.)I would like to introduce you to a wonderful series that I thought you guys,as fantasy fans,might be interested in.
    take a look herehttp://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/Empire_of_Videssos
    you just might be interested.

Default Re: Can I intrest you in?......

Turtledove, eh? Nah, I've never much enjoyed his work- it's an interesting "what if?" exercise for a while, but his writing style gets extremely old very fast. The man has great ideas and makes good plots, but I find his actual writing abilities sadly lacking.
    Oh, it's best to put a "Shameless Plug" label on this sort of thread, since it can be only tenuously related to the topics on this board... Unless you happen to be a stealth marketer? Wood an steelth markater used suck pour speeling nad gramer? Hmm... :hmmm:What do you think, guys?
    Last edited by DaedalusV2.0; December 02, 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Default Re: Can I intrest you in?......

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusV2.0 View Post
    Turtledove, eh? Nah, I've never much enjoyed his work- it's an interesting "what if?" exercise for a while, but his writing style gets extremely old very fast. The man has great ideas and makes good plots, but I find his actual writing abilities sadly lacking.
    Oh, it's best to put a "Shameless Plug" label on this sort of thread, since it can be only tenuously related to the topics on this board... Unless you happen to be a stealth marketer? Wood an steelth markater used suck pour speeling nad gramer? Hmm... :hmmm:What do you think, guys?
    For the spelling,English is not my first language.as for what you say about Harry turteldove,that is true,for some of his works.The videssos novels aren't alternate history,it's set in a fantasy world.They are the best he's ever written.I know this because I read some of his other novels(the southern victory series,which was bad.)Comparering those novels,to videssos,I'd say videssos ranks best.I'm not trying to push something on you,I'm just trying to intrest you in something