Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How was the Soviet Union defeated in Afghanistan?

Default Re: How was the Soviet Union defeated in Afghanistan?

Quote Originally Posted by Edelfred View Post
    They haven't been exactly defeated . According to the rules or laws of UN a foreign country can not have their troops , called as aid by local government, for more then 10 years .
    Since when the big powers care for UN rules or UN laws?
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

The powers who occupy without being called for help declared to be occupants like in the case of Israel and territory of independent Arabian state ,Israel currently occupies .
    Because of it Israel is trade-blockaded,not allowed to participate in certain international events etc .
    This is the case of occupation . USA and SSSR in Vietnam and Afganistan have been invited by respective governments ,though of course we can question how much legimacy and actual people representation those governments actually had

It comes down to political will and money. The Soviets could have occupied Afghanistan indefinitely, if they felt the resources and capital expended were worth it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Edelfred View Post
    They haven't been exactly defeated . According to the rules or laws of UN a foreign country can not have their troops , called as aid by local government, for more then 10 years .
    Right, so how long US military stay on Japan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Right, so how long US military stay on Japan?
    I believe a Treaty allows bases to be there, and the post WW2 occupation ended April 28, 1952.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

Indefinitely Banned

America gave the natives shiny new weapons that blew up choppers and tanks,and the Russians ran out of cash and their economy fell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    pretty much the same reasons the US got its arse raped in vietnam
    and pretty much the same reasons why the US is continually getting its arse raped in afghanistan
    Ok the USA did mpy get its ass raped in vietnam. The US won practically every engagement of the war and that was with 2/3 of our whole army stoned lol. What lost us the war was political pressure at home and the fact that the soldiers from private to general had their hands tied by dumb rules of engagement.

Such as dumb things like pilots being told to bomb the same pointless bridge everyday for a month strait when they blew the damn thing up day one.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Russia was also relatively successful in Afghanistan but lost on some fronts of the war. Really it was the bad economy, the fact that the Communists in Afghanistan had almost been eradicated and hence no reason for the Soviets to stay, that and political pressure at home.

The major reason for why America is still in Japan is because Japan doesn't want to build itself an army.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Default How was the Soviet Union defeated in Afghanistan?

I would be interested if there has been any investigation into official Soviet casualty statistics. 14 KIA in 8 years seems low, but TBH I don't know much about the course of the war and certainly the mujahedin were never as numerous as the communist forces the US and ARVN faced in Vietnam.

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mementomoridc View Post
    Ok the USA did mpy get its ass raped in vietnam. The US won practically every engagement of the war and that was with 2/3 of our whole army stoned lol. What lost us the war was political pressure at home and the fact that the soldiers from private to general had their hands tied by dumb rules of engagement.
    What does myp mean? For the other part, while there was political pressure, as far as rules of engagement went Vietnam does not have any problems in that terms of ground combat. The only time any ROEs happened that where restrictive where the no-bombing zones.
    Such as dumb things like pilots being told to bomb the same pointless bridge everyday for a month strait when they blew the damn thing up day one.
    Those pointless bridges are choke points that the Vietcong and Vietnam regulars had to cross, bombing them on major bridges meant that heavy machinery and troops had to be boated across. This changes supply lines and communication lines
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

Praeses

I dont think the USSR was defeated in Afghanistan, they attempted to impose a frail regime and failed.

There are many parallels with Vietnam: corrupt regimes, ethnic divides, political cloaks of convenience, assymetric warfare (code for "the generals are too old") and post colonial detritus. The Superpower in the third world country hits hard with conventional means, the local takes to the hills and refuses to give up easily.

If you don't understand your enemy's motivation, or deny it exists for some stupid ideological reason, its pretty hard to defeat them.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Default How was the Soviet Union defeated in Afghanistan?

Like the US situation in several of its modern wars, the Soviet military was placed out of its depth: it was designed for fighting a massive conventional war in Europe, not nation building. And, like the situation in Vietnam, the military proved worse than ineffective at winning hearts and minds.
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; February 02, 2014 at 11:29 PM.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post

The major reason for why America is still in Japan is because Japan doesn't want to build itself an army.
    I don't think we really want them too either. We need a base of power in asia... for some reason. China and NK i geuss

damn necro. ignore/
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

The poor bastards were broke...

Patrician

Japan needs to have an army to protect itself from China and NK. But they don't want to make one. Japan does have like the biggest fleet in Asia I think which is good for defense... but if those Chinese manage to land then... man. But that's why so many people in Japan have guns, in case of a Chinese invasion.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Japan needs to have an army to protect itself from China and NK. But they don't want to make one. Japan does have like the biggest fleet in Asia I think which is good for defense... but if those Chinese manage to land then... man. But that's why so many people in Japan have guns, in case of a Chinese invasion.
    wasnt it part of the treaty they signe post ww2 that they could only have a 100,000 man army? not that it really matters as I belive they've made thier fleet much bigger than we allowed them but we've let them to take care of thier own defence I geuss. IMO America doesn't need bases there considering Guam is so close. But yeah they need to get back to building up an army.

I wonder if ww2 had started in this point in history, if Japan and USA would have been allies instead of enemies. I'm sure we'd love to let them reconquer NK and china for us

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Well yes, that usually happens in guerrilla wars. They just keep fighting until the invaders get tired.

Really, there is no military reason. They just outlasted the Russians' will to keep fighting. To be honest, there isn't even a military way to win a guerrilla war - except for maybe killing everyone. So long as there is someone out there with the will and potential to resist, you can't call it a victory. So it's more about dealing with the enemy's means and reasons to fight back than actually defeating them. Not to say the Soviets didn't have experience in crushing insurgencies the old fashioned way - see how Tukhachevsky went about it in Tambov during the Civil War.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Well yes, that usually happens in guerrilla wars. They just keep fighting until the invaders get tired.
    We have the hippies to thank for that embarrassing loss.

Peace man!
    It's sad that these fools are now the ones running our country.

Patrician

America wants Japan to build itself an army to balance out China's power. Most countries do.

You can win a guerilla war politically; all you need is a well trained army capable of carrying out operations in the area, an ally and a loyal populace of that area and enough money to carry out the war.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast