Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 3: Part 2 Factions

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Lesson 3: Part 2 Factions

Renamiing factions isnt exactly hard, just tedious, and you have to do things perfectly the first time around. There are 19 files that you have to change:

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ENTIRE MOD FOLDER!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In the data folder:
    descr_banners_new.xml
    descr_character.txt
    descr_lbc_db.txt
    descr_model_strat.txt
    descr_names.txt
    descr_offmap_models.txt
    descr_sm_factions.txt
    export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt
    export_descr_character_traits.txt
    export_descr_guilds.txt
    export_descr_unit.txt

In the base folder:
    descr_regions.txt
    descr_sounds_music_types.txt

In the imperial_campaign folder:
    descr_strat.txt
    descr_win_conditions.txt

In the data\text folder:
    menu_english.txt
    expanded.txt
    campaign_descriptions.txt

Copy all of those files from your vanilla M2TW into the proper folders in your ModBasics folder. Some of these we have already used, do not over write your modded files with vanilla files. If you do, then hopefully you backed up your entire ModBasics folder before you started this.

I suggest you open all the files in the same folder at once, so you know exactly where you are at. If you are using Notepad++ then you will have a tab for each file, and you can just cycle through them one at a time. Open all 12 files in the data folder.

The Search/Replace feature in Notepad++ is one of the best I have ever used. Get used to how it works. Of special interest to us are the Match Whole Word and Match Case options. When you are replacing words, often there are similar words that the default Windows notepad will overwrite and this ends up causing problems. For example we are going to rename England. If you do a search and replace on the string "england" in descr_banners_new.xml you will get several results. Some will be capitalized, some will not, some will be inside other strings like "Faction_banner_england.texture". If we do a replace all on those, then it will make some changes we do not want to make. Using the Match Case and Match Whole Word options will prevent this from happening.

descr_banners_new.xml:
    Do a search for the word England. You will get find this this for the first entry:
    <Texture Faction="England" DiffuseMap="banners\test_banner\test_textures\test_banner_all.texture" TranslucencyMap="banners\test_banner\test_textures\test_banner_all_trans.texture"/>
    You can see how this works. The Faction="England" tells the game which faction to look for, and then england is also used in the name of the texture. If we change both, then the texture will not show up in the game as we are not editing textures yet. If we just change the faction name, then our new faction will have Englands banner textures. This is what we want to do. In a real mod environment you would go ahead and do exactly what we are doing now, then when one of your team members creates the new banner textures you come back to this file and point the faction to the new banner.

Do a Replace All and replace England with a new faction name. I am going to use Disneyland as there will be no confusion if we have to go back and search for errors later. Make sure the two options are enabled, Match Whole Word and Match Case. I had 14 entries.

descr_character.txt
    All we are doing here is changing the faction name. Notice that the factions are not capitalized. Replace england with your new faction name. I had 10 entries.

descr_lbc_db.txt
    Only 1 entry here.

descr_model_strat.txt
    This defines the stratmap models for various characters. Again all we want to change are the faction entries, when you make a real mod you can come back and change the model names where needed. I had 21 entries.

descr_names.txt
    Only 1 entry.

descr_offmap_models.txt
    Only 1 entry.

descr_sm_factions.txt
    This is where your factions are created. There is a hardcoded limit of 31 factions. Notice all the options that are controlled from this file. Religion, culture, strat map border colors, names of logos and others. Pay special attention to the line that says standard_index. We will not be using this, but this tells the game which image to use from the files in data/banners. There is 1 entry to change here.

export_descr_character_traits.txt
    What we are looking for here is any trait that relates to England. Some will be capitalized, some will not, some will be parts of other words, some will not.
    england = 3 entries
    England = 0 entries
    england as part of another word = 13, mostly trigger names
    England as part of another word = 8 entries, mostly trait names

export_descr_buildings.txt
    Lots of changes here, which is why Replace All is so handy. There were 210 entries.

export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    Similar to export_descr_character_traits.txt.
    england = 5 entries
    England = 0 entries
    England as part of another word = 5 entries
    england as part of another word = 0 entries

export_descr_units.txt
    There are 87 entries.

export_descr_guilds.txt
    There are 6 entries.

descr_regions.txt
    There are 6 entries.

descr_sounds_music_types.txt
    This file is read only. Make sure you change that first. There are 2 entries.

descr_strat.txt
    There are 32 entries.

descr_win_conditions.txt
    There is 1 entry.

campaign_descriptions.txt
    This file has to be converted using Alpaca's converter first. What we are looking for here are the entries in the brackets that are all capitalized. We have to change those to our new faction name. The text outside the brackets is what shows up in the game. Feel free to write your own description if you wish. Good ones get some rep

expanded.txt
    This one is a bit tricky as there are several different ways you have to check things, and also the unit descriptions will say English not England, so you have to get those too. You can also write some of your own descriptions here if you want. I suggest doing them in this order:
    ENGLAND = 1 entry
    ENGLAND as part of another word = 48 entries
    England = 6 entries
    English = 35 entries

At this point you can start and run the game, but you will notice a few things missing. On the faction selection screen there will be no faction symbol but when you mouse over the spot it should be you will get a description of your new faction. There is no unit image, the map showing your starting positions is wrong.

When you are in game, certain character portraits and various other items do not show up. Unit cards will all be peasants, stuff like that.

This is actually quite useful as it is a constant reminder of what needs to be finished on your mod. To get this stuff to show up you need to create all the artwork and name it properly. As this is not an art class we will just copy and rename the vanilla England files.

In the imperial_campaign folder, rename map_england.tga to your new faction name.

Inside your menu folder create a folder named symbols. Inside the symbols folder create the following folders:
    fe_faction_units
    fe_buttons_24
    fe_buttons_48
    fe_symbols_80

Inside all of those folders on your vanilla installation you will find file names that have _england as part of their name. Copy all of those files into the same folders in your ModBasics folder, and replace _england with your faction name. This will get all of your symbols to show up properly in game.

Inside your ModBasics\data folder create a folder named ui

Inside the ui folder create these folders:
    captain banners - create a folder named dead inside this one
    units
    unit_info
    From the vanilla captain banners folder copy all the files that have _england as part of the file name into your new folder, and then rename them.
    From the vanilla units folder, copy the entire england folder into your mod folder and rename it to your new faction.
    From the vanilla unit_info folder copy the entire england folder into your mod folder and rename it to your new faction.

The screenshots I want to see for this lesson:
    Faction selection screen with working icon, moused over your new faction.
    Bring up the army roster by right clicking on Army, I want to see the captains cards, not pink squares.

Mouse over one of your cities so the description pops up and shows your new faction name.

Your Diplomacy screen which should show your new faction name.

A Unit/character recruitment window which should show the proper unit cards.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Lesson 3: Part 2 Factions

I love the speed in which you post new lessons (or new parts)!

here we go:

the faction selection screen (say hello to borats home country)

the faction description is the 'unofficial' kazakh national anthem, but unfortunatley I can't get it into the correct format...

a kazakhi castle:

a kazakhi captain:

the kazakhi recruitment slots:

and the kazakhi diplomacy screen:

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

i love the speed too GED. looks like i wont be first on the list this time.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Bernem's Avatar Senator

that's the advantage of being ill and at home

well ur work looks good bernem. great faction selection screen.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

you can't say no to borat! "High five!"

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

The next person that posts a pic of Borat gets slapped.

Great work Bernem, + rep for going above and beyond the class requirements.

The formatting in the descriptions is easy. When you look at the vanilla text you will see stuff like \n and \n\n.

Each \n is a like break, or consider it like CRLF(carriage return line feed). Each time you use \n it starts on a new line. If you want a blank line between paragraphs then use \n\n. If you want two blank lines then use \n\n\n.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    The next person that posts a pic of Borat gets slapped.

Great work Bernem, + rep for going above and beyond the class requirements.

The formatting in the descriptions is easy. When you look at the vanilla text you will see stuff like \n and \n\n.

Each \n is a like break, or consider it like CRLF(carriage return line feed). Each time you use \n it starts on a new line. If you want a blank line between paragraphs then use \n\n. If you want two blank lines then use \n\n\n.
    Ah I see, thank you!

GED, in the win_conditions file it shows 3 replacements, because some are for win conditions of other factions.

also, in ancillaries, i only got 8 replacements, you counted a total of 10, and i had case sensitivity and whole word off.

VLL faction selection screen, a bunch of new factions

east-anglian village

viking unit description and some unit cards

northumbrian captain about to engage east-anglian leader and captain

diplomacy scroll
    Last edited by absinthia; December 03, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

I combined as much as i could in each image so i wouldn't have to upload as many

Faction Selection Screen

Captain portrait and city description screen

Unit Cards and Diplomacy screen

BTW absinthia u need to copy over the english captain pics so that the pink blob doesn't show up. GED has a prejudice against pink blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    BTW absinthia u need to copy over the english captain pics so that the pink blob doesn't show up. GED has a prejudice against pink blobs.
    well, VLL is a work in progress and we aim to replace most any elements. so i do not really fancy renaming stuff and such, that i may forget to replace later. it is bad enough that the m2tw generals pictures are retained.
    for this lesson i made brand new northumbrian captain pic, i think that will have to do.
    what worries me more is the missing ui elements...
    Last edited by absinthia; December 02, 2008 at 02:38 AM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Hey absinthia cool unit cards btw, i noticed that the general strat texture in the face has no alphas i think i have o new one for that that is ready i´´l upload it tonight. Sorry for the Off topic comment.
    Hunter Mackoy beleave me absinthia i think got it all, you should see what we have in VLL going!! btw good on you that you are done the course as well next is my turn.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

oh i know, i was just pointing that out since GED made a point about it. that mod looks like its coming along very nice btw.

I have successfully loaded the game!! the Danelag.

I made it.

The unit cards are a bit cut in half but still you can see them.
    Last edited by Icedie El Guaraní; December 03, 2008 at 06:21 PM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I am not seeing anything obvious. Do a Windows search for the word "spain" inside your data folder. Make sure search inside files is selected. If anything pops up, thats probably the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I am not seeing anything obvious. Do a Windows search for the word "spain" inside your data folder. Make sure search inside files is selected. If anything pops up, thats probably the reason.
    Nope there are no spain results, but through out hte porcess i find out that spain has different quantities of entries in the txt files frm the one you showed. specially in the export_descr_characters_tratis and export_descr_ancialliary but in another one as well so i think i will try as england and see if some thing is missing.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Each faction will have a unique set of entries. You absolutely have to get them all. If you miss one then at some point the game will be looking for a faction that doesnt exist.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Icedie, what was the problem?

I forgot that i have overwrite my current descr_region and descr_strat so the new region couldn´t be created , yeah i know stupid mistake, but , i got it working thanks for the help.!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast