Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sprite script generator

Icon7 sprite script generator

Does anyone have more detailed instructions on how to use the Sprite Script Generator? It does not seem that intuitive to me. Trying to get started and running into a wall. Thanks.

Default Re: sprite script generator

1. Start the sprite-script generator up.
    2. In the data path, point it to where your EDU and DMB are.
    3. Make sure you have a blank line at the end of both the EDU and DMB, otherwise the last entry won't be parsed.
    4. Click "Read Data".
    5. In the table that appears now on the left of the screen, you can see a full list of the models defined in DMB, and at the bottom-right, their assigned textures for each faction.
    6. Click the checkboxes of all the models you want to generate sprites for.
    7. In the same folder where the script generator exists, you'll see a new text file called "sprite_script" generated. Put this file inside your main RTW directory.
    8. Add " -sprite_script" to the end of the Target line of the shortcut you're using for your mod/game for which these sprites are intended for.
    9. Back up your preferences file (of the mod/game for which these sprites are intended for) and replace it with the one provided in the generator.
    10. Make sure you have a "sprites" folder in your game/mod's data folder before you start, otherwise it won't work.
    11. Run the game/mod using the shortcut you edited before.
    12. You won't be able to play or do anything, you'll just be seeing the splash screen, wait until it gets done, at which point the game will exit on its own.
    13. You'll be left with a bunch of .tga and .spr files in the 'sprites' folder of your game/mod. The .spr files are ok, but you'll need to convert the .tga files to .dds. After converting them, rename them from xyz.dds to xyz.tga.dds.
    14. When all this is done, you need to edit your DMB and code the sprites in.

That's it.

EDIT: Here is everything required. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1228046702
    Last edited by Aradan; September 29, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

Icon2 Re: sprite script generator

why don't you use the notepad to create the sprites (save as sprite_script)?? it seems more easy than this program.....
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

put the descr_model_battle entry of your unit, followed by an space and the faction's name
    ex: spartan_royal_guard greek cities
    after that, follow the instructions of the user above from the shortcut target modification

The actual sprite-script generating stuff are points 1 to 5 and the list is detailed, so it's way easier to use the generator, especially when you want sprites generated for 1,000 or so combinations of skins and models.
    Last edited by Aradan; December 10, 2008 at 07:26 AM.

do you have link of these tool?

cause when i generate sprite by the notepad, i get an sprite that disappears when i move the camera far from the unit... what is hapenning? if i take this tool i will get correct sprites??
    Last edited by Squid; December 10, 2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: double post

No, the tool is just a sprite-script generator, it generates the scripts, that's all. The sprites themselves are generated by the game. If you got sprite problems, it might be because you don't have preferences set-up correctly.

Here is everything. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1228046702

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    No, the tool is just a sprite-script generator, it generates the scripts, that's all. The sprites themselves are generated by the game. If you got sprite problems, it might be because you don't have preferences set-up correctly.

Here is everything. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1228046702
    thank you man... it works... the sprites were blank cause the pref.txt generated blank sprites

and after renaming the bunch of tga to tga.dds, can i delete the tga's?

If you now have tga.dds files *and* .tga files, then yes, the .tga files can be deleted.

thanks

If you now have tga.dds files *and* .tga files, then yes, the .tga files can be deleted.
    This format changing takes time, anyone knows a program that changes multiple images at the same time ? :hmmm:

DDS Converter 2 (google it)

DDS Converter 2 (google it)
    Thanks Aradan, here modders can download it

Icon5 Re: sprite script generator

Hi,

I'm desperate...
    I try to create sprites since several days ago, and no results...
    I've tried manually, with Notepad++, no result ; i've tried with Sprite script generator, but there is no result too...

When i launch the mod (1) into generate sprites, it launch the game normally, as i wanted to play with it... i'm able to play.

I think that i've made all what is writen. So i don't understand why it doesn't work... Really not...

Help please !!

(1) the Target line of the shortcut is : "D:\__Games\Total War\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:Virtua_Pugna -show_err -nm -script_sprite
    Last edited by Joarius; October 29, 2010 at 04:56 AM.
    Force et Honneur !

Hwæt wé dóð in úre líffæc áhléoðriàð in ðanu æwicnes.

It needs to be "sprite_script" not "script_sprite".

What a stupide man i'm... It's no more dyslexie, it's... I'm a tögel...
    Thank's a lot ! ! ! The sprites files (.spr und .tga) have been generated.
    I've made the others operations of conversion (.tga => .dds => .tga.dds) et changed the sprites lines in DMB.

But when i've made a trial to see what it does in battle, this is what i obtain :

From far, all the soldiers appears like Not Good, evidently.
    Force et Honneur !

Icon14 Re: sprite script generator

Hi,

Tonight, i've made trials again.
    Before, i've modify some things in the preference.txt given by sprite script generator.
    And it seems to work properly : there is no more this effect of shadows on the units when we watch them from far.

I've noticed that the first time, the .spr had their names which began with AG_ ; but tonight, no AG_ at the beginning of the files names.

Thank's again for your help, Aradan. I can continue the work on Virtua Pugna !
    Force et Honneur !

I downloaded RTW sprites generator, but it fails its batch conversion and rename. I point it to the folder where the files are, a message comes up saying the job is done and not to point it again to the same directory unless all the content is regenerated, but my .tga sprites have not been renamed not converted to .dds.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

That isn't what this tool does, this tools generates the sprite_script.txt file that will be used by the game engine to generate sprites it does not convert files from tga to dds.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast