Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Putting the Wall in game

Default Re: Most Anticipated Feature for 1.0 Release

I'm most looking forward to seeing all the factions fully fleshed out.

It will be good to see the Greyjoy's rampaging over the map in their full regalia!!

So... I hate to bring this up, but hows the progress going?

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    "A mod is never late, nor is it early. It arrives precisly when the modders mean it to."
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    "A mod is never late, nor is it early. It arrives precisly when the modders mean it to."

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    It's going well, can't give you any dates for release or previews, but I can tell you you'll be happy when we do

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

We all need to meet up somewhere, have a bake sale, and make enough money to make this mod their full time job. then it will be done soon

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

do that, ill make it my job then to finish several mods

Alright! Alright! Its just that... you know

I am sure the wait will be worth it. Just make it super awesome guys and dont copy the series!

(dont take me super seriously, Im just excited, you know)

To convert Westeros to the worship of the God of Light and put His chosen son on the throne. Or just smash them all for the glory of Lannister! Clegane style!

Default Re: How many weekends have you spent wishing you could play this mod?

hmm i never put much atention to a song of ice and fire but after see the first episode i stole the book of my sister and started to read it, today i was lost in the forums of total war center (usually i dont get out of the TATW forum) and i see it and i dont belieave it, WESTEROS TOTAL WAR i feel like an ancestric spirit took posession of me and i download it with out really know exactly when neither how i did it, anyways tonight, the power of the House of Stark will be tested!!

Well I'm very happy that the tv series got you to read the books.
    I hope you enjoy them and enjoy the mod.
    I do feel the need to answer your inevitable question
    This mod is an alpha version which means it is not complete yet. There will be many many changes like new skins, scripts and factions.

I have been waiting for this mod since it was an idea on the ASOIAF forums............a loooooong time ago. That was well before Gampie took over and started the Alpha.

So needless to say I am eagerly looking forward to this mod.

“Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.” – Tyrion Lannister

"The North remembers" Wyman The Godfather Manderly

Default Should I play this mod?

I just bought Game of Thrones about two days ago, and not that far. Should I wait until I finish the book until I play this mod?

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Should I play this mod?

Nope

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by flopsies View Post
    I just bought Game of Thrones about two days ago, and not that far. Should I wait until I finish the book until I play this mod?
    Yes. There are spoilers in things like the loading screens, and the game doesn't begin till after some pivotal events of the book.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Yes, read the books first. And don`t read too much in this forum; Some spoilers that might appear in threads around here or in the game might spoil your experience.

And while the game is awesome and you should play it I think most fans of the series would agree that its not more important than an unspoiled first read of the books

Do Not play the mod before reading the book!!

Unless you have no plans on reading the book. Go for it
    "Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion"
    -Scottish Proverb
    Media Arts & Animation Major at the Art Institute.

Read at least the first book, "A Game of Thrones" before playing this mod. Its just an alpha bare-bones mod in any case.

Once you get deep into these books, you'll want to keep on going. And soon you will be beyond the point where this mod picks up in the books.

I agree with the consensus, read at least the first book. By the end of the first book I think you'll be itching for battle so much you wont be able to resist playing this mod. At least that was the case for me.

They go hand in hand tho, you'll read the book and then want to play this, then you'll play and then want to watch show, then you watch show and you want to read the book. More Game of Thrones plz!

Default Re: Putting the Wall in game

This may have already been discussed elsewhere/settled or whatever but having seen that wall in the first post thought I would make a quick suggestion for how to implement the wall and an unplayable Nights Watch faction.

If you stick the wall in shown by GED. Then have one village (a village because they are small + no walls) centrally immediately behind it (Castle Black) Then a stone fort at either end to simulate the other occupied forts. The top of the wall should be entirely impassible terrain barring one square in front of each castle, this allows small randomly spawned wildling hordes to attempt raids by coming over and assaulting the forts. Seeing as the NW are unplayable to the player it just looks like Wildlings assaulting the wall. These would be small clashes not designed to capture any of the NW forts but just for appearances really. The set out on map would look roughly like this to give you an idea:

||||/\||||||||||||||||||/\||||||||||||||||/\||
    --SF--------CB--------SF

| = unpassable terrain on the wall
    /\ = passable terrain on the wall

Wildlings can therefore move over the wall and attack the NW but not move any further south unless they take one of the settlements, which is designed to be impossible. You could also add a strip of impassable terrain below the settlements so the NW never move South and nobody attacks them/attempts diplomatic relations with them. This would in my opinion look better than having gaps in the wall to accommodate the forts or alternatively having them on top of it.

If it is possible Castle Black should have its population set to the minimum possible and its rate of growth also minimal, the small growth would only allow them to train a new unit very rarely, simulating the slow recruitment of criminals/volunteers to the wall.

The NW would be unplayable and never really do anything except slowly recruit new units and fend off wildling attacks designed to keep the black brothers numbers stable. They obviously add very little to the game in a playing sense but help to make the map seem even more like Westeros.

Adding this in for me is a relatively simple way to add in an integral part of Westeros in a lore friendly way, it also gives a good base for expanding on the role of the NW or Wildlings in later updates.

Just a suggestion really which may be obsolete in your plans by now or not seen as important but to me the map just doesn't seem quite right without the Wall and to implement this is just implementing GED's wall and some other minor mapping details and adding an unplayable faction with one recruitable unit (Men of the NW or NW Rangers) and scripting some wildling spawns.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast