Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Putting the Wall in game

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Putting the Wall in game

I ran across this post from Daedalus and I thought I would jump in and tell you guys how to make it work:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusV2.0 View Post
    3: The Wall will never show up in the campaign map; it just isn't within the capabilities of the game engine. What you will see is a remarkably long chain of mountains with three castles occupying the only ways through. Well, that's what you'll see when we implement the Night's Watch and all that, which is not going to be for a long, long time.

Here is the original map. I am going to place the wall someplace up here as I am too lazy to look for its exact location. This is just a demo/test anyways. I downloaded a demo of Westeros a while back so I am using those game files.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here you can see I changed map_heights and drew in a wall. And it looks like a huge wall. Once I had it in place I made just the Wall one of the new climates, unused1.

Then I changed the ground_types to impassable so armies could not cross over it. Getting closer to what we want here.

Then I edited the unused1 climate to show snow for the impassable ground_type. This was just a quick and dirty attempt at putting the wall in the game. To do it properly someone would have to make an ice texture to use for the ground type, and there is a bit of smoothing that needs to be done. But its definitely possible. You could make paths through it that are one pixel wide and set forts in them to represent the doors, and you can probably set things like watchtowers on top of it if you get the x,y locations right. I have attached all the files I changed so the Westeros team can look at them.

Attached is the entire base folder from my current installation of Westeros. There is an extra file named descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt that you need to move into the data folder.

Default Re: Putting the Wall in game

Whoa...

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Very nice!

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Glad you like

TheKingSlayer's Avatar Tiro

G.E.D, you're a god amongst men. Looking good.
    Proud Team member of Westeros: Total War
    Visit us at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!
    Semper Fi. Smashing Islamic Extremism in all forms.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Naw I just have a special place in my heart for this mod, but I dont have the time to join the team full time. When I see something I can do quickly that will be useful, I will post it.

I actually visit this forum more than you guys know lol

Can anyone say Night's Watch next update? =3

I think that is something that will be discussed for sure. There are a lot of areas to cover, but the Nights Watch would be and will be fun to play.

G.E.D. One of these days you will cave in and realize the power of Rh'lor. (wicked laughter)
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

GED is part time for this mod if he wants. GED? Wanna sign up for dev team? Just part time?

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Hi guys

This is the wall in my mod, extended map, with Nightwatch castles and Free people land....

The mod is almost finished for a beta versione

Really cool, Pietro. REALLY cool. I can't wait to check it out.
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    GED is part time for this mod if he wants. GED? Wanna sign up for dev team? Just part time?
    If I did I would mostly just give advice.

is it just me or does everyone look through a new mod to see if GED has been involved and if he has its a must play! or if I have any questions on how to change/create something the first place I look is at GEDs posts......The Master!!

@ King Pietro

LOOKING GOOD!! cant wait to try the beta
    The Hound

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Flattery will get you everywhere lol

I wish I had the time to get involved in every mod. Unfortunately I dont, so mostly what I do is provide advice and and occasional help with files. Several mods use some of my scripting, and a lot of the Kingdoms mods use my Barebones mod folder as a base. Any of my released scripts are free to use by anyone who wants to, and I have helped customize them for several mods.

Of the 3 major mods that I am heavily involved in, one is on hold (waiting for ETW), one is progressing nicely, and one has been put on hold by the mod creator. Not exactly a lot of bragging rights there. I am just an avg guy like everyone else here, but ty for the compliments

Bumping pursuant to Darkstar's request for feedback on the map.

It looks great! When I saw this thread title I was just thinking of something along the lines of the wall near Minas Tirith in TATW, just an impassable wall-like structure with some forts built into it, but you blew me away with your work. Good stuff! I really hope we can get some modders to work on this full time (or as full time as real life and such permits), and I wish I had any skill whatsoever because I'd sign up in a heart beat!
    "Go to where the men speak Italian, then continue on until they speak something else."

"I've found that brothels are a much safer investment than ships. Whores rarely sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin just like everyone else." - Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

"Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life." - Falstaff
    Henry IV Part 1, 3. 3

Darkstar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dizoakius Maximus View Post
    It looks great! When I saw this thread title I was just thinking of something along the lines of the wall near Minas Tirith in TATW, just an impassable wall-like structure with some forts built into it, but you blew me away with your work. Good stuff! I really hope we can get some modders to work on this full time (or as full time as real life and such permits), and I wish I had any skill whatsoever because I'd sign up in a heart beat!
    That's not our wall. King Pietro was working on another mod independent from our efforts.

If you have time and desire to join, you should try learning to mod. It isn't as hard as most people think and there are a ton of good resources in the Mod Workshop on this site.

Darkstar, the wall in the top post was created by GrnEyedDvl and he included the script in his post.

really nice

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I'm not a modder, but I've seen a campaign map wall, with, forts attached to it, and that was in the third age total war mod at Minas tirith
    that I hope is a good idea

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast