Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Enough, Turnus spat

While I will not support the stripping of rank from Senator Cotta, I will support asking for a suffectus. We need our economic report.

Now, to the matter at hand. Lilibeo will fall, I am sure of it. But how will we expand on that victory? Will we continue until all of Sicily lies under our caligae or will we stop there? Also, several merchants have spotted Carthaginian banners flying over the island of Corsica. That is dangerously close to Arretium. What shall we do there? Do we have any idea for our future? Or are we content to sit around, arguing over offices and the removal of power when greater things press over us?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I suppose if a fleet and legion could be raised quickly enough, an assault on Corsica would be a nicely strategical yet rather simple move. Simple, that is, in the positive aspect. Alalia looks to have no walls or fortifications whatsoever, so our legion could take it by force without much delay after landing.

"But, fathers, the numbers provided by the Consul (OOC: check the image) indicate that only the raising of a force capable of not only taking Corsica or Sardinia but also maintain them from any Carthaginian counter-attack will take several years. And raising a fleet to transport it there... Well, that will cost the treasury dearly, too! What are we to do?"

It is worth the cost, and we will be better off spending our money during the phase that we have paid for all infrastructure but are waiting on it being constructed. Since we will not be able to build any new buildings in that time, a small military endeavour such as this would be ideal.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

i agree, once roads and necessary buildings are started we may use the money left for such an operation, without it damaging the infrastructural buildup in this Republic.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

then I propose a motion:

Lex Domestica De Aedificaturo Viarum in Italia

I. The majority of the Treasury will be devoted to the building of economical infrastructure across Italy.

II. The quaestor, or a suffectus, will be in charge of the appropriation of funds. Priorities will be given to the construction of Roads and Sea Trade with secondary priorities given to the construction of Farms and food production.

III. The quaestor, or a suffectus, MUST provide a detailed report regarding the devotion of our funds to said constructions.

IV. Mismanagement of the funds will not be tolerated, due to our limited resources. Construction of anything not contributing to our Economic Growth MUST be presented to the Senate, who will then consider whether or not it is worth of building.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

"This is ridiculous! We are at war! And you want the majority of the treasury wasted in civic constructions? What if we are in need in reinforcements, Scaevus? How are we going to pay for that? Fathers, we need to think strategically - we are at war with the Carthaginians, a war we are currently winning; let's make sure that even if Fortune changes sides, we can continue to win."

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I have a few niggling problems with the bill.

Firstly the appropriation of funds is covered in the constitution and is handled by the Censor. Then there is the smaller fact that as all budgets require my approval, I would rather any propositions be put before me before they reach the house to save wasting time if I require it to be rewritten.

So I would want the part about the appropriation of funds removed and ask that it is delayed until the report is in so I can appropriate funds and budget properly.

As for who will be the suffectus should he be required, I think we need the report as quickly as possible and the senator who offers the quickest results should be given the job.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

ooc: Guys...we just disbanded a legion in the north. Some of the newer players may not know this, but we are finally making some money. Since we started the game infrastructure has been improved only in a couple places and even that is just basic construction of roads and stuff. We have ~8,000 now. Raising a new legion would effectively spend every penny we have. Let the war in Sicily end and then the troops can be moved northward.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would add an addendum to the motion. I would like to see the magistrate presiding over the economic construction to have to get his plan approved by the Senate, as one can claim nearly any structure as an economic boost if he so wishes to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Senator Ahenobarbus open your eyes to reason!

Turnus paused as his voice still rang in the curia. Few has seen Turnus lose his calm like this, and some senators nearby shuffled away from him.

Armed forces abroad are of little value unless there is prudent counsel at home and the sinews of war are infinite money. Understand this statement and you will understand WHY we need to improve our infrastructure.

We need money to fund our legions, to do that, we need to improve trade to boost our treasury. A powerful treasury will boast a mighty army. Look at the Makedonians in the east. They are but a shadow of their former glory when Aleksandros led them to the end of the world. Why couldn't they hold that land? Because they had forsaken their economy for an army. We can send forth our legions and slay each and every Carthaginian, but we will leave behind empty, unguarded cities. Others will take them, and we will be left in worser and worser financial state than now.

You have Rome's best interest at heart, but you need to know when to call back the brutal beast of War and close the Gates of Janus.

Crusades

Senator Ahenobarbus, please understand that to spend money today in infrastructure, is really to spend money to support the war. After Lilibeo(sp) falls, which it will certainly, there will be most likely a couple of seasons before either the Carthaginians decide to reinvade Sicily, or we decide to attack any other island in the Mediterranean. This should give us enough time to spend most of our money in buildings and roads, and then regain some wealth for any other needs.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I must insist that the Senate have oversight over the dispersal of public monies, even if we appoint someone to oversee the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

While my colleague is away in Sicily, I would like to offer myself as Consul to watch over the building of the infrastructure, and make sure that it is done so that our money will not be spent on unworthy buildings, and that everything is being completed to standard. I will assure the Senate that you will see no slack in the standard and speed of work if I oversee it.

I am confused , the dispersal of public monies is covered in the constitution and to be handled by the Censor. They why is it that some of you are eager to move these powers. If you wish to do this yourself, then change the constitution! I have a job and I intend to do it young tribune and you would do well to learn the laws of this body before proposing motions that contradict our very foundations.

By Jupiter, Senators, it is all very simple.

Herrenius was nominated to take over from Cotta. So he shall do so.

He shall prepare an economic report INCLUDING a list of possible developments of infrastructure. He shall propose to the Censor the most profitable set of constructions available with the money we have to hand.

This will, of course, be agreed upon without the need for time-consuming senatorial debate, and then any money we gain after the initial spending and before the constructions are completed, we shall spend on forced to either reinforce Scipio or invade the Western Isles.

What, pray, is wrong with that?
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Turnus smiles at Crassus and Balbus

Ah, it seems that in my haste to get things moving in the Curia, I have misspoke about the powers assigned to each office. All of this unnecessary debate, and I am at the heart of it. I truly am sorry, senators.

So I shall, again, propose a motion to be voted upon:

Lex Domestica De Aedificaturo Viarum in Italia

I. The majority of the Treasury will be devoted to the building of economical infrastructure across Italy. Priorities will be given to the construction of Roads and Sea Trade with secondary priorities given to the construction of Farms and food production.

II. The quaestor, or a suffectus, MUST provide a detailed report regarding the devotion of our funds for said constructions to the Censor, who will then compile the necessary list of buildings to construct.

III. Mismanagement of the funds will not be tolerated due to our limited resources. The list drawn up by the Censor will be sent before the Senate for a max of three times for revision. If the list is not approved upon the third time, then constructions will not commence.

IV. Voting upon the list of buildings to be constructed shall NOT be hindered by party or personal grudges. Any incidence of such an action will be perceived as treason to the state of Rome and will be handled in accordance to that prescribed in the constitution.

Crusades

If that is the motion, then I wish you luck with being able to proof that a man has behaved a traitor by rejecting a budget.

Ah, Balbus, a man can reject a budget for what the budget is worth. But the motion only applies if he rejects it out of personal reasons.

By rejecting the budget thrice on personal reasons and killing the proposed budget, he hinders the growth of our economy, which hinders our military being kept at an adequate pace, which places us in danger of being invaded, which would lead to the downfall of our Republic.

Thus logically, by rejecting the budget thrice on personal reasons and killing the proposed budget, it would lead to the downfall of our Republic.

Turnus seemed amused even at his own statement. Work around the estates were truly getting to him. His logic is starting to slip, perhaps he needs to take a break from the halls of the Senate. Perhaps

Crusades

I will not support the motion unless the last part of it is stricken, and i hope no other senator will either! It is a judges duty to decide if something is treason or not.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.