Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

"Senator, I am want to look everything with a positive light; but this vote of no confidence, it seems to me, is nothing more than your way of getting back to Decimus Cotta's effort of stripping you of your office not so long ago.

Now, I am not aware of why should we discharge Decimus Aurelius Cotta for negligence of duty, since the Quaestor's main duty is to provide the Senate with the annual economic report, not deliver reports on demand! And since the year is not done yet, we cannot claim that Decimus Cotta has been not up to his office."

Unfortunate news from Epiros. Oh well, better luck with the other Greeks Senator Celcus.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Ahenobarbus, the Quaestor hasn't even made his full annual report yet! And, if you recall, one of the Quaestor's responsibilities is to, if I recall correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by Leges Rei Publicae Romanae
    The QUAESTOR shall keep records of the treasury of the Res Publica.

The Quaestor shall create a report of the public funds each new year, and shall gather any financial information the Senate may require at the request of the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"Even so, Senator Aurelius Cotta, do you think that the proper thing would be to strip Senator Decimus Aurelius Cotta - a kinsman of yours to boot! - because he hasn't yet delivered the requested economic reports? He may well do today or tomorrow or the day after that; last time I checked with our laws, the request was to fulfil one's tasks before his time in office runs out. Since Decimus Cotta is still the Quaestor, we ought give him time and a warning to complete his dues before we take action against him."

I think that the need for the report is particularly pressing at the moment. We should nominate somebody to prepare a report as a one-off. Again, Herrenius would be ideal for the role. Cotta can explain himself when he returns.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It's been half a year, he should have been able to do this by now! However, I yet again agree with Senator Flavius that Herrenius should be nominated. However, if the Quaestor does not return before the year ends, I feel it is our duty to enact a vote of no confidence.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

All the other Quaestors so far have usually put up a financial report at the start of the year so that the Senate may know what to do with the money, and have something to work from. This year, we have had no update about our financial situation from our Quaestor whatsoever, only brief overviews from our Consul. For now, I will accept a little longer delay, but if no report is received by the last season in the year (OOC: our last save advancement) I shall also stand for a vote of no confidence.

I would support such a motion as well. If Herrenius can take up the position for Quastor for now, supposing that such a move is even allowed, we can abide the behavious of Quastor Cotta for now.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Aye i most certainly agree, he has not even been present!

I will fully back a vote of no confidence if it occurs, UNLESS the Quaestor very rapidly i should add, at least gives word to this senate about why he is kept.

That is also my main issue with this, he has not given word! If he knew he would be unable to perform his duty he should have made arrangements so as to not leave this senate in the dark about our finances.

And if indeed he was surprised by some event he should have given word, so that we could have made arrangements!

Truly disappointing.

People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

"This is rubbish! Nothing in our laws poses restrictions as to how fast a Quaestor must provide his annual report; for that matter, he can do it the last day of the year! And, truth be said, his tardiness hasn't cost the Senate one bit - haven't we passed in the beginning of this year a motion for a 5,000 denarii civic construction plan?

Now, let me be clear. I do not stand with Decimus Aurelius Cotta any more than I stand with Titus Aurelius Cotta; I stand for Rome, and for myself. And it is my understanding that we ought not create a precedence where magistrates are stripped off their offices. Because who is to say, I ask, that in a year or two in the place of Decimus Cotta's isn't a Praetor? Or a Consul? Or a Censor for that matter? How then will we be able to argue against stripping that magistrate when we had stripped Decimus Aurelius Cotta so recklessly?

I said it before and I shall say it again; I deem this effort as Titus Cotta's way of getting even with the Quaestor who had motioned the stripping of his office in bases of abuse. And since Decimus Cotta has done nothing legally wrong - the year isn't over yet - I can't find a moral reason except vengeance for such a proposal; and I ask you directly, Tribune. Is that so?"

It is a dereliction if duty, no matter how "lawful" it may be! And if the senate decides trough a majority vote that he shall be stripped of office then it shall be so!

as for your insinuations to the Tribune i say only that i know his father has taught him better than to let such things guide his actions, and stand by him FULLY in his wish to remove such an unworthy quaestor from office.

People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I think quite enough has been said on the matter and a vote should be called.

Motion(think up a latin name consul)

I) The Quaestor Decimus Aurelius Cotta shall be replaced by a suffectus Quaestor of the senates choosing.

II) The Quaestor Decimus Aurelius Cotta shall be stripped of rank and replaced by a suffectus Quaestor of the senates choosing.

III) The Quaestor should be granted a reprieve before any action is taken.

Please note that II requires 60% IIRC
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Senator Ahenobarbus, he has failed in his duties. He has not shown up in a long time, has not participated in the Curia, and has not provided reports when the Senate requested them. The first two are dereliction of duty, the second is a violaton of the rules regarding the position of Quastor.
    As to the motion, aye let it be put forward.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Very well, whatever gets the economic report fastest. It seems a bit rich for you to be talking in such a way though, Senator Caelinus.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

I echo the opinion of the Pontifex Maximus; I will support whatever gets us an economic report the fastest. In my opinion that is the first proposal of the Censor's bill.

Will a Consul would put the bill to a vote please?

Meanwhile we need to find someone to replace Senator Cotta should the bill pass. Herrenius' name has come up and I endorse his nomination. If the Senate wishes to nominate anyone else let us do it swiftly and put the matter to a vote, unless of course we can unanimously agree on Herrenius which would certainly speed things up.
    Last edited by Sir James the Good; December 08, 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Let the motion be put up without further ado, and resolve this issue with the power of vote.

Herrenius stands.
    Thank you, senators, for nominating me as a substitute to senator Cotta. If the rest of the senate aproves it, I will happilly asume the role of Quaestor until senator Cotta reappears and explains his absence.
    Last edited by Ozy; December 08, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: by the way guys this is nothing against voltaire of course. We all go absent sometimes and we just need to be able to move on.

Senator Crassus, I did not fullfill my duties as Consul, yet you did not come forward with criticism or complaint. That matter has been spoken off, and I have not run for another term of Consul because I could not do my duties as the position requires.
    If it were important enough that I be called upon to answer to the Senate then, it would have been done. Yet, the Senate thought differently. Yet now, we are at war, our invasion is nearly complete and we require this information.
    Yes I speak like this, because I know that failing to do your duty will harm the Republic. You do not know this perhaps, but failure can open a man's eyes to new insights. I have learned from it, lessons that you have yet to see and gain from life.
    But, the motion has been given. Let us vote, and move on, for the world will not wait for us.

"Suit yourselves, gentlemen. I have spoken my mind and therefore abstain from this heinous vote of no confidence."