Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

I yield to the Consul's wisdom.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Balbvs returns in a far better mood

Thank you for your offers of praise. There is no better way to compliment a senator than the offers of recognition and support by you men.

I would also like to confirm that no civilians were harmed by our men, and that pillaging was restricted only to the possessions of our opposing soldiers. Although unpopular to some of the men, a necessary step.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Congratulations, Balbus, I commend you on your well earned victory for Rome.

I agree with the words of Saevus- I fear that we are rupturing because of our parties at a time when cohesion is needed the most. For now we should cast aside our differences and work together for Rome and her people. We have just won a stunning victory in Messana, our economy is on the rise, and we must look towards the Carthaginian menace on our new border. We now have a base from which to launch strikes against our enemies.

I fear that the legion is slightly understrenght from the battle for this task, however, and we have yet to weight Carthage's forces in the field. As much as I hate to hesitate at this victorious hour, we should first measure the enemy's strenght before we launch ourselves headlong into the enemy's defences. After this initial sizing up we can make the decision on whether or not it is wise to bring forth reinforcements. Although more time consuming, it will save our people money. It is my ultimate goal to stabilize the economy to a point where we can ease taxes in Italy.

Also, we need to decide which of the two consuls will lead the army into Lilibeo, but that debate is up to you.

ooc: I didnt say anything about parties in my speech, I thought it. Can you read minds now?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Cotta speaks

I would nominate Consul Scipio for the Command of Sicily. He has clearly shown he is capable in command.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Yes, I support sending him too. A great leader for a great campaign.

aye i agree
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Caius nods his head in the direction of each senator that seconds the motion of command.

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    ooc: I didnt say anything about parties in my speech, I thought it. Can you read minds now?
    ooc: Whoops. . Ah well, I guess it could be implied? good speech, by the way.

Ok, I don't want to go very off topic here but this will get more publicity here than the ooc posts thread. Whoever we choose to send, doesn't matter to me, we need to do it before tomorrow (when we end the turn). So I say let's not put this to a vote and just come to a general consensus. Reply to this ooc in the ooc posts thread, I just want to make sure as many as possible see it.

I concur. Let us send Caius Scipio with all haste to Sicily.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Since most senators have voiced their support of sending my colleague, may he be sent to Sicily to finish its conquest. While he does so, I will keep watch over Rome, and make sure that no barbarian or rebel invasions come from the north.

Very well. I bless his endeavours on behalf of the gods. If the house wishes the augurs to be consulted I shall do so with all haste.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

I remember from my previous term as Consul that there was a spy situated somewhere in Sicily to watch the movements of the Carthaginians. Where has he gone? We should despatch him to obtain information about numbers and troop composition in Lilibeo, and if any other reinforcements are approaching. That way, my colleague can be better prepared, and know how many extra troops or mercenaries he will need to buy or levy.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Unfortunately, the spy was killed in the line of duty attempting a mission in Messana.

OOC: If you want another one, just build a new one. I think the nearest place able to is Taras.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I see. May I suggest then, my colleague, that you construct a watchtower or two on the border when you get there? It may not be as practical as a spy, nor as mobile or cunning, but at least it will be completed quickly, and you hopefully obtain enough information for you to launch your assault.

I would not want to burden the people of Rome with this minor expense, but expense nonetheless. At a time when the treasury is tight, if not non existent, I would rather send out a small cavalry contingent to guess at their strength. This way they may be able to be brought back into the camp before their mounts are exhausted.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would also point out that the legion has moved beyond our conquered territory, and constructing a tower this far into Punic land is impossible. It would save us time to continue forward rather than to trek back just to build a tower.

Both points are fair ones. I rest my case.

Where has everyone gone? There has been no debate in our Curia for quite a while now (OOC: over a whole day). What developments, what changes have happened to our lands in this time? What news from the Sicilian front? My colleague, I await your response.

There isn't much to debate; however I do eagerly await news from the Sicilian front on the strength of the Carthaginian garrison at Lilibeo.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I for one request our annual financial support. It has been nearly one full season and we are without vital information from our Censor!