Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scipio/Saturninus

Aquila sat quietly throughout the proceedings, his head stooped in thought. He desired strongly that his dear Patron Marcus Balbus be granted renewed imperium, but he knew that this would be almost impossible to ascertain. More importantly, he questioned whether such a motion would serve to benefit Rome. He therefore chose to remain silent and let himself be thought a fool rather over opening his mouth and removing all doubt. Perhaps subsequent developments would allow him to exercise his charisma and power for the benifet and glory of his beloved Res Publica.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Cotta stands, a bit flustered at the elder senator's comment.

Well, senators, let us make it official then yes? I propose a motion for vote:

I. The Senate decrees that Censor Marcus Atius Balbus should return to Rome at once, leaving the siege of Messana in the hands of his legion staff for the time being. The Senate also decrees that Consul Caius Scipio should immediately and with all haste make for Messana and take up the seige. The Consul will have Imperium only over his conquests in Sicily; any reinforcements shall be sent by the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Is imperium absolutely necessary?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Perhaps only in the short term Consul. Sicily is a great distance away; too far for any conquests to be properly governed by the Senate during the war. After the war, a proper government would need to be set up on the island.

We already assigned a thousand mnai to the former Consul Balbus so he could recruit auxiliaries according to his assigned power. Besides, the war is fine as it going now, and our Consular commanders will be far better aware of their immediate field needs than the Senate proper, which relies on couriers. Therefore, I will only support renewing the previous motion for Imperium over Sicilia and Southern Italia, this time for the esteemed Consul Scipio, and any more resource allocations this House deems necessary.

Thus I propose:

I. That Consul Scipio be granted full Consular Imperium over Sicily and Southern Italia on the terms of the SC Bella Punica (link) for the year and up to the end of his mandate, when the Senate will again vote for a renewal or not depending on future circumstances and events.

II. That Consular Balbus, being elected Censor, is to be recalled back to Roma immediately for the exertion of his duties.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Cotta speaks,

"Our new allies in the south no doubt do not appreciate having a Roman commander basically appointed dictator over them, quaestor. They came into our confederation as allies, and allies they should remain. Therefore I will veto any motion that extends Consular imperium over any city or province in Italy."

You cannot claim to speak for them since you are a Roman elected by Rome, not by the Lucanians and Bruttians. They have their own affairs, and I can see that your use of the veto is clearly partisan and partial above all so that you can further your notions that we should interfere in every aspect of the Consular Command! I knew this would happen!

Thw fact that the Bruttians and Lucanians are part of our Confederation does not mean that we, the Res Publica, do not have the right to oversee them and demand them troops when requested. For your own information, Consular Imperium will not interfere with whatever internal issue they might have, and neither does the Senate have any right to it due to its own Constitution and our own treaties with them. If you don't want our Consul to handle the affairs alone, it's because you want to stick your nose into everything out there in his place, therefore revealing the hypocritical light of your own motives. I will move my allies and anyone I can find against your bill for the good of Rome if you try vetoing mine!
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Senators, I have come to the conclusion that Senator Balbus must indeed return to Rome. If we are beginning the term like this, we will indeed need a Censor.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Tribune speaks
    Senator Cotta, it is in the interests of Rome and her people that power not be needlessly abused. There is no viable reason that the Senate can not call on the allies herself. We do not need to put that power in the hands of one man. Do what you will, all just and honest Romans will back me.

ooc: haha nice one Seli.

No power is being needlessly abused, Titus. In case you've forgotten, we're at war. The worst thing we can do to our legions is to change a commander during the middle of the war. A general is someone the legions look up to. And if a general were to abandon them at such a hour of need, then we would demoralize the legions. They would lose our holdings in Sicily, and the Carthaginians would take this opportunity to rush through southern Italy.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

You're right senator, our treaties of alliance and history of the Senate dealing with allies should stand, unless we're at war.

Said Titus with an undercurrent of sarcasm.

The legions will not be demoralized, they are not being abandoned. The motion is vetoed, and that is that.
    Last edited by Winter; November 30, 2008 at 04:30 PM.

I was hoping Scipio's proposal could be put up against Cotta's, for both are well thought-out and have strong arguments to back them. Clearly, however, my fellow Tribune does not wish to play this way. I veto his legislation.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

This is a move out of malice and nothing else. I you veto my bill then we may not proceed on Sicily as we have no commander!

I am sure your veto was entirely without self-interest. I am merely beating you at your own game, a game you initiated without pretext.

The legions do have a commander. His name is Marcus Atilius Balbus and he is a damn fine leader. Until we can address this issue democratically he will remain commander. So I suggest you abandon using your veto with such carelessness for the sole purpose of political self-interest and begin giving all sides a fair hearing; that is all I am proposing.

I will hesitantly accept imperium, but be it known that I do not think this measure is necessary.

Crassus smiled with glee at Aquila's riposte, clearly enjoying the argument that was filling the hall.

"Most unworthy behaviour, Titus Aurelius Cotta! You clearly have a lot to learn before you are ready for real politics.

I mean, this man, who has come here for the first time, elected as a tribune of the plebs, mind you - suddenl mistakes his role as the chief guardian of the sacred and holy rights of all men? You were elected to argue the case for the people of Rome, and Rome only. You have no business trying to be an everyman in southern Italy. I applaud you, Aquila, for keeping the debate open in the face of such arrogance.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune, in case you haven't noticed, it is illegal for Balbus to remain commander!

Says Titus, becoming flustered, He was not prepared for his first day to be so trying.

It is not illegal by anything in the constitution, that has merely been a de facto rule, and de facto the case is that Balbus is away in Sicily right now.

I warn you, Senators, you will lose the confidence of the soldiers if you continue to meddle and play these petty games over the lives of our men.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: No it is Illegal because I've said so since day one

Crassus, if you are quite through harassing and making a mockery of the new senators, we can continue with civil debate. At least he has an excuse to make several mistakes, unlike you.

If we can come to a general agreement, which I don't think is far off, we can move Cotta's proposals to a vote.