Thread: spyware problems

Recently, I've been experiencing lag in online games. UT2004 frequently crashes, with a blue screen referring to an error in a VXD.Henceforth, UT runs fine but I am unable to normally shutdown my computer. Call of Duty simply freezes, and my scanner is playing up. Just before these errors began, someone on my shared computer saw fit to install a silver internet toolbar which pops up without being summoned. Upon disabling it, it refers to uninstalling the 'entire sponsor software package' from the add/remove programs menu, where no new programs are present. Also, shortcuts to online gambling manifest themselves randomly, and both SpySweeper and Norton Antivirus crash during sweeps. What can I do to get rid of this :wub: WITHOUT reformatting the hard disk/system restoring?

I'm running win ME, norton 2002 fully live-updated, ditto that spysweeper.
    I can provide the precise error message from UT2004 if needed.
    Under the patronage of Wilpuri;
    Despotic master of ZaPPPa and Rowan11088.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

First you should slap silly the person that got that installed on your computer... :cool

Then you should check out if you can install new software. If your NAV and the sweeper crash during tests it seems like you have a nasty case of malicious infection. If you can install new software try to install Spybot or other similar program and see if it can solve your problem. If you can't install or it does not solve it you may want to look into what is booting at windows startup. Are you confortable enough to mess with your registry? Can you provide a list of the running processes in your computer (press Ctrl+ALT+DEL and press task manager and then processes)?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Win ME so no 'processes' button, but running are:

wzqkpick
    lexplore
    lexplore
    explorer
    systray
    rundll32
    spysweeper
    lwpstart
    Under the patronage of Wilpuri;
    Despotic master of ZaPPPa and Rowan11088.

hormiga's Avatar Senator

I dont really like spy sweeper, I would disable it or remove it and use Ad-aware. I dont like anti spyware stuff that runs in the background.

Follow links in my sig get ad-aware and spyware blaster. Use spyware blaster and enable all protection (prevents scumware on your comp). Then reboot in safe mode and run ad-aware (make sure it is updated). Reboot again in safe mode and run it again: IF you still get things popping up search for what ever it is on google for help.

Also, most importantly, STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! Download Firefox (link in sig) or Opera or anthing but IE!! Seriously it will cut the amount of crap you have to deal with by 99%

IF YOU STILL HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS get the program called: hijackthis and use it to make a log and post it in a security forum, some one with more experience than I can then help you.

hormiga's Avatar Senator

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    hijack this! program (only if you have major problems)

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
    better info here

knowing is half the battle.

Also a word to the wise:
    Touching another mans computer and messing with the settings is like playing with his nut sack.
    It is wrong, and it is gay. Tell the people that use your computer not to f@#k with the settings or better yet dont let them use your comp.

I know the guy who wrote VXD and I hate him!

I used adaware to get rid of it...
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by Last_Crusader@Mar 24 2005, 09:11 PM
    Win ME so no 'processes' button, but running are:

wzqkpick
    lexplore
    lexplore
    explorer
    systray
    rundll32
    spysweeper
    lwpstart
    Win ME?! Yikes...

Follow links in my sig get ad-aware and spyware blaster. Use spyware blaster and enable all protection (prevents scumware on your comp). Then reboot in safe mode and run ad-aware (make sure it is updated). Reboot again in safe mode and run it again: IF you still get things popping up search for what ever it is on google for help.
    Yes do this and see if it works.

Also, most importantly, STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! Download Firefox (link in sig) or Opera or anthing but IE!! Seriously it will cut the amount of crap you have to deal with by 99%
    That too. Try firefox (it's free) or opera (free but with advertizing). I'm using Opera (loads faster than firefox and has this mouse interface thingy for lazy people like me, wonderful) and i get no spyware.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy