Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lessons you learn form Paradox games??

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Lessons you learn form Paradox games??

So what lessons you have learned from Paradox games??

Recently I have just learned that "never involve in a land war in Asia" from both EU3 and HoI2.

Default Re: Lessons you learn form Paradox games??

It seems as if I've heard that from a movie before

But never challenge Germany at the height of it's power when your Norway.

Celsius

I've learned a ton of Geography. Plenty of history. Also, that war isn't just a couple effective tactics implimented, but the total adaptation of your forces to a threat. I've gone through some real slogs by trying to attack one enemy the same way I attacked the previous. Oh, I've also learned that sometimes peace can be the most destructive force if used properly. Why lose stability and money by going into total war against an enemy you are evenly matched militarily with, when you can just focus on civil issues and make yourself stronger while sowing revolution in his lands while he wastes all his money on a bigger better land force. Boom, collapse of Ming China.

Albania was not meant to become the worlds leading superpower; It was not intended for, in the future, people to be protesting the illegal Tibetan occupation of China.
    Everything the State says is a lie, everything it has is stolen.

State is the name of coldest of all the cold monsters. Coldly it lies; and this slips from its mouth: "I, the state, am the people"

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I have learned that Paradox has a really westernized view, instanced in their conceived technology handicap system which puts nations like China at... doubly... as hard to technologically advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    I have learned that Paradox has a really westernized view, instanced in their conceived technology handicap system which puts nations like China at... doubly... as hard to technologically advance?
    Not in NA, although you need to Westernization first.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Don't with Austria.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

That Eastern (Russian\Byzantine\Balkan) fighter sprites in Europa Universalis III look way better than the other ones. That Victorian China is a real bastard to fight when you're Mexico if the U.S join in. That the British and French are complete pushovers in Hearts of Iron II. Crusader Kings Vassals are not worth their titles. That the only large civilisations in the world were Macedon, Carthage, Rome and the Seleucid Empire from Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Ming China is still a bastard though. They usually end up in Western Siberia in my games.

I've learnt a lot of history and geography.

But above all, never try to do a winter-offensive in Russia... EVER.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    It seems as if I've heard that from a movie before :
    Ya, forget what movie though.

Anyway, I learned that lesson when my Royal Marine (10 divisions) repeatly suffered more than 25% casualty at Japan mainland.

Japan? Lol... That isn't necessarily the reason it is a bad idea to get into a land war in Asia. I think most people are referring to China. Japan is in comparison, easy to defeat.

Attack Ming and see the difference.

I mean Japan in HoI2...

Doh! I'll shut up then, because that is true, though often they will leave the mainland pretty undefended...

Ya, I was thinking about that at first, so I immediately attacked Tokyo as soon as I declared war; at first it was fine, but soon when Japanese gathered a force I started facing serious resistance...

Only one year of endless convoy-killing that saved my ass... After that even fighting Japanese in China was a cat-walk (lack of supply killed half of Japanese troops in China).

Greece should never, and I mean never, try to fight Turkey, until at least '43
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

The United Kingdom were the first and only ever to invent bolt-action rifles and "stormtrooper training". Also the mentioned things multiply a soldiers combat power by at least 10 times.

Is there any way in Victoria to get that tech myself while playing e.g. Prussia/Germany (actually, they were the first to adopt them in 1841 if Wiki is to be believed)? I'm pretty much a formidable opponent but lacking that tech makes me loose the game against the far more powerful British troops once they decide that they simply have to attack me because of a single 1-province colony despite a relationship of +120 and no aggressive behavior on my part.

edit: Wiki is actually contradicting itself by listing the Needle Gun as both bolt action and breechloading
    Last edited by Tankfriend; November 30, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

That divisions normally consist of 10,000 men and that encircling enemies are the way to go.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    That divisions normally consist of 10,000 men and that encircling enemies are the way to go.
    Mmmm... not for most of nations at WWII.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Then I learned something new after all I think that's the general consensus on the Paradox boards anyways.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    The United Kingdom were the first and only ever to invent bolt-action rifles and "stormtrooper training". Also the mentioned things multiply a soldiers combat power by at least 10 times.

Is there any way in Victoria to get that tech myself while playing e.g. Prussia/Germany (actually, they were the first to adopt them in 1841 if Wiki is to be believed)? I'm pretty much a formidable opponent but lacking that tech makes me loose the game against the far more powerful British troops once they decide that they simply have to attack me because of a single 1-province colony despite a relationship of +120 and no aggressive behavior on my part.

edit: Wiki is actually contradicting itself by listing the Needle Gun as both bolt action and breechloading
    A gun can be both bolt action and breechloading. The Needle Gun was one of the first mass produced breechloaders, and gave the Prussians a great advantage against Austria.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast