Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Editing character names and campaign start characters' names

Foederatus

Default Re: Editing character names and campaign start characters' names

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Well, we all have these files, so we can see that, hehe.
    Then why did you say:

descr_names.txt takes only *internal* entries, which means no spaces. names.txt takes internal on the left (inside brackets), and on-screen on the right. Which means: no spaces or special characters on the left, whatever you want on the right. If you stick to that, it should work.

EDIT: You have the wrong entry in descr_names. It needs the internal entry there, the one without spaces. (of_Hippus). And the internal one in descr_strat as well.
    You seem to be contradicting yourself. No offence.

I'm confused, did you do these things one after another or un-doing the previous before moving on to the next step? Either way, the fact that the first thing you did (editing the right side name of Metella to Calpurnia in names.txt) didn't work, makes me believe your changes somehow are not saved or that you are editing a wrong file.
    I did them one after another.

They were saved and they were the right files, otherwise I wouldn't get a CTD all of a sudden, or the original name of the Juliii faction leader's wife would never have changed from Faustina to Metella.

Here are the files I'm working on. In these files I replaced all the vanilla names with those of my own, that is to say, in names.txt and descr_names_lookup.txt I didn't just add them to the bottom (although I've tried that as well).

As you can see, I've tried both modding them by using the method used in the vanilla files (spaces instead of underscores in descr_names.txt and in descr_strat.txt) and by using the method used in your tutorial (using underscores instead of spaces in those files).

Of course I had the files named like the should be when I tried.

I also tried all four combinations possible:

1: descr_names_version_1 + descr_strat_version_1
    2: descr_names_version_2 + descr_strat_version_2
    3: descr_names_version_1 + descr_strat_version_2
    4: descr_names_version_2 + descr_strat_version_1

Please take due notice, I always delete map.rwm prior to making another try starting a new campaign.

Edit: I forgot to add, of course I also checked names.txt and descr_names_lookup.txt for any duplicates among the names.
    Last edited by Alecci; December 01, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I agree with Aradan:

1) After step 1a the name should have changed
    2) 2a, you should have received a CTD as the internal name is not longer available to the faction you're editing
    3) 4a, this CTD would only happen if the descr_names.txt and names.txt were still vanilla as it crashing because it can't find the name

The changes you are making to descr_names.txt aren't saving, for whatever of reasons.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Foederatus

I don't know how to prove it, but they are saving. Why else would the file look the way I left it when I close the file, reboot the computer (after shutting it down overnight) and then re-open it the next day?

The file saves, but it seems the game will not accept it for whatever reason.

Unless I really am modding the wrong file, but I've only managed to find the descr_name.txt in the GamePath\Data folder and the names.txt in the GamePath\Data\text folder.

Edit:

Regarding names not available to the corresponding factions, please read my post #5. I tried removing all surnames in all files except the descr_strat.txt, and still the game generates vanilla surnames for adopted family members.
    Last edited by Alecci; December 01, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

Can you post here the target line of your shortcut and the path of the files you're editing?

Btw, what format are you saving the file as?

(This is a real puzzler)

Foederatus

I don't use shortcuts. I manually open the files using the text editor of my choice (for the time being I use EditPad Lite) by going File -> Open... -> browsing the hard drive until I find the files I want to open.

I'm saving the files in txt-format, or rather, the same format they open in as I just use the built-in save (like when opening and editing a Word-document).

Edit:

If you mean the shortcut to the game executable, here it is:

"D:\Gamez\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Path of the files I edit:

D:\Gamez\Rome - Total War\Data\descr_names.txt
    D:\Gamez\Rome - Total War\Data\descr_names_lookup.txt
    D:\Gamez\Rome - Total War\Data\text\names.txt
    D:\Gamez\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    Last edited by Alecci; December 01, 2008 at 01:02 PM.

I mean, you use a shortcut to launch RTW, right? If you go to its properties, it has a "Target" line.

And of course all files in your pc have a path, for example descr_names would have sth like:
    C:/Program Files/The Creative Assembly/Rome - Total War/data/

Foederatus

Sorry for misunderstanding (talking on the phone as I'm writing here), I edited my post above to include the details you wanted.

I'm officially out of ideas. Everything seems all right, except the fact that it doesn't work.

Foederatus

I'm officially out of ideas. Everything seems all right, except the fact that it doesn't work.
    I second that...

just chanche names in data
    into
    (julius) Caesar
    then the file wil see julius instaed of caesar en jou wil see caesar
    you dont have to chanche anyother file

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12