Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of Kingdoms info Thread

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Default Dawn of Kingdoms info Thread

(This thread is a work in progress)

-The purpose of this mod is to add length, balance and overall enjoyment to the game.
    -The mod will expand on what CA has already done by adding new units, new factions, a new map and other odds and ends.
    -While it will cover roughly the same time period (@1080-1530), the timescale has been modified to 0.50 (2 turns/year; total 900 turns) and campaign rebalanced to match (i.e. slower pop growth, lower income per-turn, etc.

The Map

"There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Default Re: Dawn of Kingdoms info Thread

Hmm.. :hmmm:

I guess that this thread is a bit out of date with the map picture? I thought that the Americas were removed?

Though I don't know the situation at the moment (because I don't have the mod yet), I believe that the picture is out of date. And if it is not, we (you, or perhaps me [or even someone else]) has to mod the map.. I see places where there simply aren't enough regions..

If it is out of date (as I believe), could you LC fix it?..

Thank you.

-HF-

This is the current map. The regions have been redone according to where factions are concentrated. For instance, the desert regions are mostly removed because there are no factions there. Please let me know what you think are places without enough regions, because I think I balanced the map out pretty well.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

quick question: when you mean rebalanced, are you talking about CA expansion rebalance or your own idea rebalance?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Killalot View Post
    quick question: when you mean rebalanced, are you talking about CA expansion rebalance or your own idea rebalance?
    I'm not really sure I know what you mean.

-John G. Hartung

Where can i find some more specific info on this mod like other mini mods included and which factions who is playable and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    This is the current map. The regions have been redone according to where factions are concentrated. For instance, the desert regions are mostly removed because there are no factions there. Please let me know what you think are places without enough regions, because I think I balanced the map out pretty well.
    Well there are two spots that bug my eye when I look at the map..

First of all, as a finn I start looking at the northern european regions. I see that Scandinavia is well filled and there is Turku instead of Helsinki , but... I see that there is not Reval (Tallinn or what ever we want to call it). If we were making a mod according to the real history as close as possible, should the perhaps the most important (well large anyway) trade city of the Baltic sea be included..

Another place which hits my eye is the area north of Georgia. There is just one big region and it looks somewhat weird to me. Allthough I don't know if there even was any big cities/castles at that time, but still it looks a bit strange if you ask me..

Third minor thing is the Americas.. I'd like to get rid of them for some new regions..

pilgrims choice's Avatar Libertus

this is good especially in the balkans (the regions there were abit thin on the ground when i saw one of the earlier maps)

will there be armenian and serbian playable factions in this mod?

the area where georgia should be looks wierd :hmmm:hmmm indeed!
    Last edited by Lord Condormanius; January 03, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Please do not double-post
    http://lpuk.org/

Henry VIII (voiced by Sean Connery) : I shall create a new religion in this country, and I shall call it The... er, The Psychotic Bastard Religion!!
    Adviser: How about Church of England sire?
    Henry VIII:Alright, Church of England it is then... even though I am Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by HereticFang View Post
    I see that there is not Reval (Tallinn or what ever we want to call it). If we were making a mod according to the real history as close as possible, should the perhaps the most important (well large anyway) trade city of the Baltic sea be included..
    I'll look into this. I will probably need to add one or two regions in that area when I add the Teutonic Order and Lithuania. As of right now, the area is inconsequential from a gameplay perspective, since there isn't anyone over there.

Another place which hits my eye is the area north of Georgia. There is just one big region and it looks somewhat weird to me. Allthough I don't know if there even was any big cities/castles at that time, but still it looks a bit strange if you ask me..
    That area will likely not change. It is remote and I am not going to add regions just so all areas of the map are equally distributed to rebels...especially in places like the Steppes and the Desert. There really arene't any factions over there that will require more regions, so that will remain how it is.

Third minor thing is the Americas.. I'd like to get rid of them for some new regions..
    That is not going to happen. I have decided that removing the Aztecs and the Americas will cause too many gameplay hitches that I am not willing or able to take the time to fix at this point, especially since my team is made up of...well, only me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrims choice View Post
    will there be armenian and serbian playable factions in this mod?
    There is already an Armenian faction in the present release. I plan to add a Balkan faction in a later release.

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Where can i find some more specific info on this mod like other mini mods included and which factions who is playable and such?
    At the moment, I don't believe that any minimods are included other than some texture packs and what not...and most of those are not used in their entirety. The rest of the information can be easily found by looking through the mod forum. When I get around to it, I will put all of that info in the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by Lord Condormanius; January 03, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

-John G. Hartung

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    I'm not really sure I know what you mean.
    Leme get more into detail: Unit balanced as in the Kingdoms packs, or custom way balance like SS (where swordsmen are once again, redicuosly overpowered).
    When God gives you lemon, FIND A NEW GOD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Killalot View Post
    Leme get more into detail: Unit balanced as in the Kingdoms packs, or custom way balance like SS (where swordsmen are once again, redicuosly overpowered).
    That still doesn't make a terrible lot of sense. Balance means balance.

-John G. Hartung

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

Are the Dutch included finnally?

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Quote Originally Posted by killerrabbit View Post
    There are no Dutch and there will be no Dutch. This mod starts in the 11th century...a time when there were no Dutch.

-John G. Hartung

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Hey if your still taking Ideas I would like to suggest some map changes.

Personally one thing I look for on every mod is the campaign map, and on that campaign map I always look at the provinces in Africa. I personally dont think its very realistic how the provinces extend south into the desert. I would prefer provinces to resemble the Roman Empire boundries and not extend into the desert.

Looking at the map on the top of this thread, not sure how up to date it is, but I like how you organized Algeria and Tunis. Im not an expert on the Morroco-Sahara region but may the cities on the West African coast should be closer to the ocean. But maybe they are by a river IDK.

If its not too difficult could Libya be rearranged so that the province doesnt extend south but mirrors the Roman empire boundry that hugged the coast.

The maps awesome so far.

Quote Originally Posted by killerrabbit View Post
    the dutch didn't exist in the 11th century, nor did they play a role of any importance during this period. The Dutch didn't become relevant until the 16th century. You want the dutch, you should buy Empire.

I play: Third Age, Broken Crescent, Stainless Steel
    I wait for: Broken Crescent 1.5, The Last Kingdom, Dominion of the Sword

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

How are things going LC? I hope well.
    Last edited by y2day; June 24, 2009 at 10:32 PM.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

ive talked to him, he is well as is his baby he has left TWC because of some people + Rl im trying to convince him have a official resignation

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I hope he decideds to return.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

;me three!..........................

Love that pic y2day

It's a shame, that LC left TWC. Let's hope he'll be back some day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast