Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of the Scots 4 (now Isles)

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Kingdom of the scots V4

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver
    The time period will start at approx 1282 and continue through until 1371 and will have the nomral two turns per year with increased movement points owing to the large map.
    Hadn't realised you'd also realigned the time line more akin with PKH also.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hadn't realised you'd also realigned the time line more akin with PKH also .
    Yes (for one of the timelines/campaigns) it was a compromise of sorts, with some fancy scripting and fancy family tree work to work around the Scottish line of succession problem after Alexander dies. However, there will be another campaign which is simply the linear vanilla campaign commencing in 1258 and finishing in 1451.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Yes (for one of the timelines/campaigns) it was a compromise of sorts, with some fancy scripting and fancy family tree work to work around the Scottish line of succession problem after Alexander dies.
    Yes, its because of some of the successions that I opted for the short time line in PKH. Anyway good luck I'm pretty sure they will be quite different mods in the end (always Assuming we ever actually do get around to releasing) .

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Assuming we ever actually do get around to releasing) .
    You've got that right

Patrician

FYI, to those who are keeping tabs with this.

I have been working on the installer for KOTS4 and can say that I now have an extremely easy installation technique which does not require renaming of files, or copying of anything. Everything simply installs direct to the mods folder and adds the desktop shortcut and runs like a well oiled machine.

Maca's Avatar Decanus

This is great news, especially for people like me, who just can't seem to get a lot of things to work.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    This is great news, especially for people like me, who just can't seem to get a lot of things to work.
    Good to hear. I had actually followed a tutorial of how to create an installer with the clickteam installer originally and the instructions were clearly muddled and poorly explained. This time I threw the tutorial away and worked it out myself!

Maca's Avatar Decanus

I probobly should put this in the v3 thread, but that hasn't had a post since august, so...

Have you ever struggled economically at the start as one of the clans? I know I have, but there are ways round this, such as keeping up to ten units in forts, as they get free upkeep, but this tip should hopefully be even better, assuming that not everyone knows it of course:

(This works for all factions, but is extremely effective when a clan.) Right, on the first turn, you should have a merchant, if not create one, and send it down south. Now the target is south Wales, specifically the gold mine right at the bottom. It generates roughly four hundred florins a turn...for the Welsh, and we all should know that the further away from your capital a resource is, the more money it generates(generally.) So, with a two finance merchant as, say, Clan MacKenzie, you should get around one and a half thousand florins a turn. A lot for the early game (considering that the merchant should soon improve his finance rating.) This should just about cover a lot of your army costs by itself. I should say, the Welsh always have a merchant on this quick, but if you get it they tend to leave it alone.

Hope this helps anyone with money problems.

Patrician

Good ideas here Maca...and by the way an official welcome to our team as a historical researcher is required I believe.

In KOTS4, the free upkeep in forts has been increased to 20 units. I'm not sure I even mentioned it when I released KOTS3, so thanks for doing so. This was added so that the AI and human players had a reason for the forts in game.

For KOTS4, the money that merchants make has been reigned in especially because I really didn't monitor it that much for long distance trading in KOTS3. Actually, Gigantus fiirst brought this large amount of money to my attention last year, and in the Patch 3.3 for KOTS3 (never released, but fully functional) I did have this lowered and fixed.

Thanks for adding those bits of information, about how to better use KOTS3.

I'm very hopeful that in KOTS4, the gaming experience will be improved and indepth. I consider my work (not Bruces skins, banners and icons...they were brilliant) in the three early versions of KOTS to be somewhat amatuer in application and delivery. Now with the team assembled for KOTS4, I am very happy about our progress.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    I consider my work (not Bruces skins, banners and icons...they were brilliant) in the three early versions of KOTS to be somewhat amatuer in application and delivery. Now with the team assembled for KOTS4, I am very happy about our progress.
    How dare you say my work is not amateur! (or is the cheque in the post?)

KOTS3 has some excellent features and for a two man team it was not bad - just lacked some finesse here and there and some scripting expertise.

KOTS4 will be huge in comparison and will be worth the wait I'm sure!

Prince of Yunderup's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    Hi Maca, yes you're right it has been asked before, and everytime we thought we had a final faction list, it's changed. As we had such a long unintentional break from modding a few ideas have been added in the last two weeks. Actually, as of a few days ago another faction awaits the final "nod" from The Bruce and then I believe we have all 21 Factions we need for the mod.

The final faction list will be announced in the first week of December when we do the first preview. All I will say for the time being is that Ireland has only two factions, Europe will feature 3 factions, then there are Norway, England, Barons Alliance, Wales, Scotland, Comyn, MacKenzie, MacDonald, MacLeod, MacDougall, plus five new Gaelic Factions, and 1 new Border Faction (to tarry the English)!

All European Factions will be non playable, but can be adjusted to become playable should someone want to.
    I look forward to the preview. I wanted to do some sigs advertising KOTS (subject to the KOTS teams approval of course) as I noticed only The Bruce has a KOTS sig (I'm sure The Border Reiver had one, didn't you?) I've actually started, but by the time I finish them your preview will probably be out. Is it cool if I do some signatures though?

PoY, I'll send you a PM soon regarding this. Thanks for the interest!

Patrician

Prince of Yunderup, I did have a set of four that I used to alternate, but it was time for a change and I've been too busy to create a new one. I'd be very interested to see some of your work, once The Bruce has contacted you.

Cool thanks, I have a few idea's I think are fairly original, but you may have your own.

Gentlemen, first of all: a BIG thumb up for the work you invest in this project!!!
    As so many others (and as a huge fan of KotS 3) i cant wait to play version 4.

here are my questions:
    1. is it in any way conceivable what date this mod will be released?
    2. did you integrate other (important) mods like ultimate-a-i, realcombat/-arrow, etc.?

thank you very much Bruce and Border Reiver.
    Your work is very appreciated!

Patrician

_Thorongil_....thanks for your thumbs up _Thorongil_!

The second question is easy to answer, yes there are many minor mods being incorporated into our mod. There are simply too many good mods not to include, which in the end save us time. The AI mods are very important and can make or break a game. Do you find any particular AI mods better than others that you might suggest?

In answer to your first question, the first version of this mod will be in February at this stage. As has always been the case the dates have continually pushed out, but I am currently working fulltime on this at the moment.

In some aspects of the mod we are rocketing along, in others we are not. A lot of the skinning is coming together in the background at the moment, especially now since I can do it too. I can say that KOTS4 will not look similar to KOTS3 and is being completely overhauled. Most of the work has to be done by the end of February as my study starts again then, and my time will be very limited, and will simply be limited to maintenance work....and perhaps even playing.

Stay tuned, I am currently working on the first Preview to be released 22Dec in time for Christmas.

hey Border Reiver,
    thanx for the quick answear!
    Considering your question on ai-mods: i have no idea, sorry. most ai-mods (at least the ones i tried) dont work with other mods somehow, so i cant tell.
    I just asked because i agree totally with you: ai-mods can make or brake the whole thing. same with realistic combat.

Border Reiver, be sure that not just me appreciate your efforts A LOT.
    so thanx for the information about the progress.
    IŽll check by again on the 22nd! ("being completely overhauled" - DAMN YES! LOOKING FORWARD!)

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

Try BYG AI in the Real Recruitment Real Combat Stainless Steel submod tread. Also Germanicus 5 has an awesome new Battle AI bein used in SS RC/RR and in DLV.

Patrician

Thanks XIIICaesar, I'll take a look at these and discuss this with the team.

_Thorongil_...no problems, I understand there are a lot of people out there who are looking forward to this....but I can tell you there are two people (The Bruce & I) who are looking forward to this the most. This adventure will be the fullfillment of adolescent dreams, wanting a computer game to relive the Scottish Clans & Wars.

Thankfully, we've got two other team members (Ewen Cameron & Maca) contributing to make this a reality.

first Preview to be released 22Dec in time for Christmas.

Woohoo!

the first version of this mod will be in February at this stage.

Double Woohoo!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast