Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of the Scots 4 (now Isles)

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Kingdom of the scots V4

lol and the same to you. sounds very promising the map must be huge to the kots 3 map

Yes, it is slightly larger

KOTS4 Map with KOTS3/Britannia inset.
    Last edited by The Bruce; October 28, 2009 at 01:19 AM.

wow now that is abit big lol

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsWarrior View Post
    wow now that is abit big lol
    Big enough for the English to run and hide from all their enemies!

Prince of Yunderup's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    Prince of Yunderup...thanks for the good feedback

Sometimes I wish I hadn't starting modding, I would have at least got to play some of these mods. I've got 4 months holiday from uni shortly and am desperate to get this mod finished so I can play it. There's a heck of a lot of work to do still, but it will all come together quickly after exams.
    I never thought of how time consuming it must all be, I appreciate it even more now. Good luck with exams as well as the mod (the exams are more important though!)

Patrician

I never thought of how time consuming it must all be, I appreciate it even more now. Good luck with exams as well as the mod (the exams are more important though!)
    Thanks man, I need all the luck I can get. The mod has made some major steps forward in the last week adding a lot of scripting, mapping, and adding many mini mods to the product etc. But , I now have to study for 8 days straight, and I'll only check PM's and the forum until then.

But after that I'll be solely dedicated to the mod

Highland Kelt's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Yes, it is slightly larger

KOTS4 Map with KOTS3/Britannia inset.
    Excellent large map. Plenty of room to grow and prosper without being killed off too soon!
    ...This is my Island...

Icon5 Kingdom of the scots V4 : Stand-alone download or unpack?

Hi KOTS Team,

First off, as you can see from my name, this mod suits me down to the ground!

I am really REALLY keen to play this V4 and bash the English, hehe!

Now I have tried to play it previously, but I tried to unpack the files and follow the instructions, but I got in a real mess, and the game did not work, resulting in a big crash and shut down of my laptop.

Since then I've steered clear, but still wanted to play this mod.

Can you tell me if you plan for V4 to be a stand-alone download that you wont need to unpack the Kingdoms files with? Can it be that V4 will just be a case of creating a mod folder in C:\Program Files\Sega\Medieval II Total War\mods\Kingdom Of The Scots, and then extracting the download V4 files into this folder?

This would be great for simpletons like me...

Please let me know what your intentions are, Im sure there are other fans of this mod like me who are not confident enough to try unpacking.
    ...This is my Island...

Patrician

Highland Kelt, I've been discussing this with The Bruce and Gigantus and there will be a stand alone download for simpletons for Version 4.

I'm sorry to hear you got into a mess with the KOTS3 installation. Just looking at your notes above you typed; mods\Kingdom Of The Scots. This may have been a typo in the post but the correct path should be; mods\kingdomofthescots.

Sorry to hear you haven't even played the game yet, but realistically we are only looking at the beginning of next year before this version is ready.

Make sure you check out the notes and suggestions in the installation thread from The Bruce and Gigantus amongst others.

Are you using XP or Vista?

Icon7 Re: Kingdom of the scots V4

Border Reiver,

Ach! Great news, I'll drink to that!
    I loved playing the Britannia campaign on MTW : Kingdoms, and since then I thought it would be even better with more Clans, and a larger map. To be honest I would have done it myself if I'd have known all about modding.
    Maybe throw in a few Welsh, Irish, and Viking ones too... Im really glad you plan to release it as a stand alone download next year.

Best of luck with the next version, go steady and slow, quality counts!

Yes, I have Vista and I did type kingdomofthescots, not Kingdom Of The Scots, but I cant remember what went wrong now. At the time it was very confusing... I was just discovering about that "Virtual Store" location.

Slainte!
    ...This is my Island...

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Curious why you put so much of France in but missed out the main part the English were at war with France for - Gascony?

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Curious why you put so much of France in but missed out the main part the English were at war with France for - Gascony?
    In short, compromise!

If I was to include Gascony/Aquitaine it would have meant reducing the size of Britain as I have reached the maximum map size (top to bottom). I want to portray the highland glens as accurately as possible and make passable routes through the mountains which is why I enlarged the map in the first place!

We felt we needed France to balance the power of England as was the case historically. Most of the battles fought during the hundred years war occurred in northern France anyway. This is not the focus of the mod but an invasion of France would be the ultimate challenge for any other faction.

Contributions from English held lands not on the map can be scripted (as can support for the French from their missing regions).

France will be a superpower but quite passive unless they are invaded (or otherwise persuaded). The scripting required to control France necessarily makes them unplayable. Should a faction such as England gain total dominance in the British Isles they would still find a formidable opponent in France. Also, the threat of French assistance for the Celtic nations should curb England's aggression and balance the game.
    Last edited by The Bruce; November 12, 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Patrician

@Highland_Kelt, thanks for your comments I thought it must hgave been a typo, not like a Scot to make a mistake!

@Wilddog, good to see you around Further to what the Bruce has said and he's kept back two secrets that will be implemented regarding the map. We had not planned on too much more of the 100 years war as this is being covered by the La Guerre de Cent Ans - The Hundred Years War mod.
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; November 12, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

Maca's Avatar Decanus

V4 is looking really good, from what I know of it. I know that I'll get it as soon as it's out. The extended map looks especially promising, France, I always thought would have been a good addition to the original Britannia campaign, even though they will be unplayable, it still adds something.

Is the faction list for v4 finalised? Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Last edited by Maca; November 13, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Patrician

Hi Maca, yes you're right it has been asked before, and everytime we thought we had a final faction list, it's changed. As we had such a long unintentional break from modding a few ideas have been added in the last two weeks. Actually, as of a few days ago another faction awaits the final "nod" from The Bruce and then I believe we have all 21 Factions we need for the mod.

The final faction list will be announced in the first week of December when we do the first preview. All I will say for the time being is that Ireland has only two factions, Europe will feature 3 factions, then there are Norway, England, Barons Alliance, Wales, Scotland, Comyn, MacKenzie, MacDonald, MacLeod, MacDougall, plus five new Gaelic Factions, and 1 new Border Faction (to tarry the English)!

All European Factions will be non playable, but can be adjusted to become playable should someone want to.

Maca's Avatar Decanus

Wow, that's a lot of factions, and a lot of work too. A few in their I didn't expect, thought only France was going to be a european faction.

I am looking forward to this even more, and can't wait until the preveiw. The work that you guys do is amazing, and I really wish I could help, but I can't mod M2, strictly RTW, and even then only basic text editing (adding units to factions and campaign mainly).

New factions to v4:
    five new Gaelic Factions, - Is one MacKay? I seem to remember someone saying it, The Bruce maybe? As for the other four I don't know.
    and 1 new Border Faction (to tarry the English)! - Clan Scott
    Ireland, one in the North (Ui Niell) and one in the South or West.
    3 Europeans - France, is one other the Dutch? Last one, Denmark? HRE? I can't guess.

Patrician

@Maca......There is a lot of text editing to do still, with historical research a prime objective. If you would like to help out, or feel that you could contribute with this area, it would warmly welcomed. Please send me a PM if this is the case.

You've about 50% accurate with your ideas. Anyway, what kind of Scottish mod would it be without the Scott's and their reiving ways!

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

@Wilddog, good to see you around Further to what the Bruce has said and he's kept back two secrets that will be implemented regarding the map. We had not planned on too much more of the 100 years war as this is being covered by the La Guerre de Cent Ans - The Hundred Years War mod.
    Its Ok I was just curious on the Gascony bit. As the mod overlaps so much with mine I was just curious as I went for a much smaller part of France and scripting as you say can handle the rest.

what is the time period for this mod again soz should of asked this earlyer

Patrician

The time period will start at approx 1282 and continue through until 1371 and will have the nomral two turns per year with increased movement points owing to the large map.

@Wilddog, you're right we'll be crossing over the time period, but I think the game emphahsis among other things will distinguish both our mods.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast