View Poll Results: Would you like a mini-mod which contain that i've explained (scroll down to find out)

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I would want this!

14 82.35%
  • I dont care

0 0%
  • NO! I would'nt want this!

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My unit project for XGMD

Default My unit project for XGMD

Hi everyone. I have currently been working on a project for XGMD. In this unit project i will create new units for barbarians, romans, greeks and eastern. What units will i create? I will create units similar to "aqd's mini mod" (if anyone has heard about him) That means i will create unhistorical units for each and every culture to clear out: "What if they would've invaded that part of the country? Would they have the same armour?"
    I refer to alexander that used his enemies technology against them, i adopted some styles of the persian army and used it for his favour (not to mention the Diadochi)
    So if i get a go from Maraxus and RedFox, i will use their models and textures to make a mini-mod ONLY FOR XGM: DIADOCHI

But first i need to know what the players of XGMD would think about this, would it be good? Would it be bad?
    There for i post a poll to, if i get overvoted i maybe consider to not make this, if i get all with me, i will certainly do it.

WARNING
    IT WILL ONLY BE FOR ALEX SINCE BI DOESNT HAVE THE SAME DMB CAPACITY AS ALEX
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Re: My unit project for XGMD

Well, I dont have Alexander.....so i would miss out this submod if you were to make it. I like the creative thought behind it. But one of the reasons I play XGM(D) is because I want to learn more about the historical stuff. Thats what interests me most.

Yeah but dont you think its weird that Barbarians doesnt learn anything from other cultures? (except aor that already exists, but meh, they are mercenaries)
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

"Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

vote: no

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

This sounds interesting. Go for it. With Alex you can also restrict mercenary-supply to specific factions. It would be even better if you choose to retain the atmosphere of Diadochi.(no bright colours, no peacockfeathers on helmets etc)

Gah, i get votes against me So probably wont do this if they doesnt get overvoted.
    Athenogoras, your first suggestion sounded good, i cant really get what your saying about the 2nd? Explain more please.

Oh, just sometimes skinners like embelish their units to much. Huge crests, golden armour and arty shields. I think this will spoil the atmosphere of the mod.

ohh ... But i think Maraxus and RedFox has made their units good, and not that "Shiny" with lots of "Golden decorations"

I agree. Their units are excellent. If you reach their standard I will shower you with rep

Well, i could show you one unit but i dont think the chainmail (the only thing i edited) is good as Maraxuses work

Opinions are as many as people. If you bring forward a decent sample model or two, people might react differently. I personally would not mind to have more options for my XGMD install. Just go for it, jakobh94. ME
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; November 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Will post sample soon, just got a problem when mixing my model parts Around 20.00 or 21.00 gmt +1
    I will make it now, i will show you in about 10-20 mins
    Last edited by jakobh94; November 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

The chain mail is pretty failed, i will find a new texture for it later on with my other units.
    Well you could say this is the description:

"Romanized Warband has adopted the roman fighting style, still with some barbarian equipment, the unit was created when the barbarians came to a roman city and learned how the romans fighted. The barbarians thought that the "Pila" and "Gladius" would combine a great fighting style.
    But still, the reform didnt went through as they thought and Romanized Warband still uses a regular Javelin and a spear for the fighting style, but it is still a deadly combo and works superb against cavalry."

need to find some classier name And maybe someone good at making descriptions, im not any good at it

Good job Not a skinner myself but it looks a little strange in the neck-area. Nice colours, great shield.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Techno Viking, anyone?

Nice colours, great shield.
    Actually i took that sheild from Maraxus and just made it brown.

The weird in the neck is something that the XGMD team need to answer on, i didnt change anything there.

Techno Viking, anyone?
    What exactly do you mean

And is it okay that i use the units from XGMD to create this addon for XGMD? Maybe i should send pm to Maraxus to ...

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Hey Jakob, that unit looks pretty sweet
    I actually like the chainmail texturing!

To get back about the votes against ya, I havent voted yet cuz I cant make my mind up about this project. And I sure didnt want to discourage you with my first post in this topic. Its just that I find that there's so many different "hellenistic" mod projects going on lately. And so many are unfinished or could use some help. These mod projects are usually huge and take massive amounts of time. Your idea sounds creative and exciting....but I just worry that it will take too much time before it reaches a BETA status. And even then its loads of work, you ask RedFox all about it.
    But in the end, if its finished or playable, it sure is rewarding cuz the people will praise you for it. I'm pretty sure that this mod could work out in a great way! You can make all kinds of cool units which the world has never seen
    This can work out pretty exciting since the factions will be really unique. And I bet its fun working on it too, making up all kinds of new units as you go.

If this is what you really want to do, I salute you and will support you. Ask those guys if you can use the models etc and start putting your passion into your new hobby. I will be here waiting at the forums and give you feedback whenever possible.

I just find it a pity that I cant find the time to learn to model in 3dMax or something else....or else I would have applied to one of these great mods and help you or those other guys out.

I cant model either... Just mixture parts with eachother Like now, i have taken the hastati sheild and the roarii helm for my Romanized Warband. And i think im going to do 2 units for 1 culture. And i belive there are 4 cultures? So that ends up with 8 units for one culture. First i will make barbarian, creating a Barbaric-Hellenic will be cool. Also eastern will be awesome, haha, cant imagine strong barbarians in big clothes that protects you from the heat.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sounds interesting. I'd definitely give it a try.

can you use the ones you helped me with
    they were great
    God dam, I wish Boromir survived

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast