Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Carthage Reloaded - Full Pack Release

Miles

Default Re: Carthage Reloaded WIP

With the small shield and two handed pike/spear, your Poeni Infantry looks just like the Poeni Infantry in the Casus Belli mod, just a different color.

Not familiar with that mod, I based the unit on a painting called the lions of carthage http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpos...ture70205.aspx

Originally the unit had a romanised shield like in the painting

But I though that the smaller round phalanx style shield would be better for an early unit and use the original one as a veteran post marian unit

Miles

From what I have read, because it has puzzled me too, is that the Carthaginians did not use the Macadon phalanx, but more of the older Greek phalanx. As a result, the Poeni shileds would be the larger round types versus the smaller type that you portray.

As for the Roman shield for the later Poeni Infantry, it would definately differentiate the two infantry's, but as one book put it, using a round shield in combat versus the Roman shield better indentified you from friend or fore in the heat of combat. As a result, the author "speculated" (since there are no good records of Poeni uniforms) that the Carthaginians probably kept their large round shield for better indentification in battle.

As for looking like the Casus Belli infantry, I know you have made all these models yourself, but Mordred (the lead & modeler in Casus Belli) used the same concept as you did for the smaller Poeni shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Red 51
    From what I have read, because it has puzzled me too, is that the Carthaginians did not use the Macadon phalanx, but more of the older Greek phalanx. As a result, the Poeni shileds would be the larger round types versus the smaller type that you portray.
    That surprises me I though that after Alexander the old greek phalanx wasnt used anymore. Its not as though Carthage wouldnt have been exposed to that fighting style.

To be honest historical acuracy is the most important thing to me, and I the the two handed phalanx animation from EB looks cool with that animation the shield needs to be smaller or the spear sticks though it that also why I needed to move the shield up the arm.

Miles

From what I have read, the Carthaginians learned the Greek hoplite phalanx from fighting Syracuse which used the older hoplite phalanx versus the newer Macadon phalanx.

You could always do what the EB mod did and have the vast majority of the Carthaginians use the Greek hoplite phalanx and have just one of your Poeni units fight in the Macodon phalanx style. After all, it is only a game in the long run and it is meant to be fun and creative.

P.S. I do like your units and look forward to your final results.

When are you going to release the first pack?

Cool units.

Just updated another model trying to get them all done before I release the pack. I have updated my original post with new renders. Here is a before and after

Old Iberian Cavalry

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

New Iberian Cavalry

oh very better... can't wait for the pack
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Great work, Mr. Smith. The black colour suits the unit better than the blue, in my opinion.

I re-painted the shield mainly because I thought it was too bright. You can see better on the render (post #1) but I've also remodelled the helmet and shield. Its made the cas file a good deal larger than the original though

Thanks for the information, Mr. Smith. As Florin could tell you, I am not too good with details. But, anyway, superb unit.

Ah, very nicely done, Hannibal Smith.
    Protein cores made in the rough endoplasmic reticulum are posttranslationally modified by glycosyltransferases in the Golgi apparatus, where GAG disaccharides are added to protein cores to yield proteoglycans; the exception is hyaluronan, which is uniquely synthesized without a protein core and is "spun out" by enzymes at cell surfaces directly into the extracellular space.

I'm nearly finished updating all of the models now. I have been rendering some images for unit cards and such, and decided to have a play and see if I could put together a little scene with a few figures. Let me know what you think

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Very nice!!!I see Carthaginian soldiers has conquer the city
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

I was thinking if you could add an archer unit with helmet similar to the Vanilla one.

@ ED once Ive finished working on updating my units I will have a go

Updating my numidians, I was never happy with the hair. So I've been experimenting with layed hair using the alpha channel. Thought I'd post the results I think it looks better.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

It looks excellent, and I also like the render you posted above!

Thx Hannibal. I hope you will be able to release your excellent work soon.

In game image of the numidian skirmishers