Thread: Quick question?

What were the Roman Post-marian legions made up of?

(sorry if already asked)

-ScienCe!

dawgish's Avatar Miles

I know the infantry make-up was:
    1 first cohort = 5xdouble strenght centuries (5x160=800 men)
    9 normal cohorts = 6x normal strenght centruies (6x80=480 men.)

Civitate

Common formation of one century was 4 ranks deep, with the standard bearer in front, the centurion in front, and an optio at the rear.

..........s........c............
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ...............o.................

The six centuries, making up the cohort, were generally grouped in a continuous line, 4 ranks deep. (4 lines 0f 120 men).

The 10 cohorts, making up the legion, were most commonly deployed in three staggered lines called the triple acies. Four cohorts in the first line, three in the 2nd and 3rd lines.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...........

....................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.........................

.........................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This could obviously be changed at the will of the commander, depending upon the tactical situation. And I have no idea where the first cohort would be deployed...but if I was forced to make a guess I would say probably in the first row on the right (a traditional place of honor). In fact, Adrian Goldsworthy (of Time Comanders / History Channel fame) makes no mention of it in his book "The Complete Roman Army", yet I know that such a thing as the "First Cohort" did exist. Perhaps it was not common to all Legions.
    I'd rather be historically accurate, than be politically correct.

Wow, awsome man, thank you. Any idea on the rest of the legion? Like i kno there wasnt mutch calvary, but how about archers and balistas and stuff?

-ScienCe!

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

Here is a link to a fairlt straightforward website that has answers to most of the basic "Roman Legion 101" type questions

http://www.unrv.com/military/legion.php

There also used to be a great website on legion battle tactics and simulations of the effectiveness of the use of the pilae and other implements of destruction that was called something like legionweb.org but I seem to have lost contact with its actual URL.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

Default Re: Quick question?

cavalry would alot of the time be placed on the wings and artilletry would be placed wherever was best(high ground) if the commander thought so

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Quick question?

If you wish to discuss this topic, please create a new thread rather than reviving one which is almost 6 years old.

Closed.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."