Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couple new ideas

Default Re: Couple new ideas

First off I love how this mod is coming along and I'm happy how it is, but don't you (the creators) feel that you put a lot of work into Catholic Europe and pretty much left out the Muslim and Orthodox world. Because both regions don't have any guilds plus it seems that when the Mongols come they will crush everyone, so isen't it better to give the Muslim nations some form of guild? It just seems that not a lot of work was put into them that's all.

Civis

Turk:
    First off I love how this mod is coming along and I'm happy how it is, but don't you (the creators) feel that you put a lot of work into Catholic Europe and pretty much left out the Muslim and Orthodox world. Because both regions don't have any guilds plus it seems that when the Mongols come they will crush everyone, so isen't it better to give the Muslim nations some form of guild? It just seems that not a lot of work was put into them that's all.

Wheaties: Guilds were something that was uniquely Catholic in nature and simply did not form outside of the Catholic areas until the idea was introduced. That being said, the Moslems did eventually pick up and copy those Catholic ideas, albeit not in such a perminant fashion. The problem is, that when the days labors are over, the Christians simply were more innovative and inventive than the Moslems. The Moslems knew a good idea when they encountered it, but the fatalistic nature of Islam discouraged innovative thinking and experimentation which were the hallmarks of Medieval Scholasticism. Likewise the Master/Slave mentality of the Islamic belief system, as opposed to the Father/Son mentality of the Christian belief system did not lend itself to perminancy in it's institutions. You just don't have much in the way of Islamic dynasties and cultures which define themselves outside of conflict or power.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

I feel 14 too, but she said she was older

To answer your questions. We don't feel we are concentraitng on the Catholics at all actually. We have now added a fifth Muslim faction to our first campaign, Serbia and Bulgaria now being left to a second edition. Currently Muslim factions have more guilds available to them then any other culture in the game.
    Some Euro factions have faction specific guilds, that is true- but that does not really effect anything more than limited gegraphical areas. Muslim guilds will in practice effect half of the map, and in theory wherever the Muslims dare to tread. The same cannot be said for the Europeans who have had all the vanilla guilds removed from them.
    Last edited by Hengest; November 24, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Hi to everyone,

I have been around the TWC for a long time - just being curious about which mods to play - but I haven't posted anything 'till now.

First of all I would like to say that this is the most promishing mod I've seen in the whole forum.

But I disagree with your intention to not have an education system in your mod.
    History teaches us that education is and will be the turning point for every civilization/country/race.

So, in my humble opinion you should have an education system implemented to this looking-perfect mod.

Maybe, you could have the "Come of Age" event coming as early as the age of 12 (I mean that the character is activated not on the age of 16, but on the age of 12) and then spent the next 4 years for his education - either in a military school (choosing a military career) or in a university (choosing a governor career)

So, when he really comes of age (at the age of 16) he is well educated and he has chosen the path he wants to follow.

This will add a little more micromanagement, but it will also make you "admire/respect" your characters a little bit more.

Thank you for listening

Quote Originally Posted by Varangian_Guard View Post
    Maybe, you could have the "Come of Age" event coming as early as the age of 12 (I mean that the character is activated not on the age of 16, but on the age of 12) and then spent the next 4 years for his education - either in a military school (choosing a military career) or in a university (choosing a governor career)

So, when he really comes of age (at the age of 16) he is well educated and he has chosen the path he wants to follow.
    I agree. This will allow us to decide who will be military general (educated in castle) or administrative governor (educated in city). But as I said before generals should have longer time for education - 25 years old for example couse we must send them to the suitable city or castle.

"The truth is in the middle... perhaps so that all interfere" Aristotle

Senator

These are some good ideas...
    Aswell as this, I also think that maybe education should be more beneficial... I am often dissapointed with the results... :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Monthy View Post
    I agree. This will allow us to decide who will be military general (educated in castle) or administrative governor (educated in city). But as I said before generals should have longer time for education - 25 years old for example couse we must send them to the suitable city or castle.
    Then, maybe, you could have the "Come of Age" event (whenever you decide it to fire - the age concerning) triggering something like a trait that forbids his movement (in order to use him only as a student - for a specific period of time).

After his education is completed - either in a military school (choosing a military career) or in a university (choosing a governor career) - then another trigger (based on the age) fires and the trait that forbids his movement is gone.

So the general is ready to offer his services to his King.

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval4Life View Post
    I finally found a home as I am 15 and I will join the ranks of my fellow youngsters.
    I'll sit by in my rocking chair, smoke my pipe and chuckle at the misbehavior of all you children. . .
    Son of PW

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    I'll sit by in my rocking chair, smoke my pipe and chuckle at the misbehavior of all you children. . .
    LoL

I thought the education of generals in medieval times began at like age 14. This was also the time were girls were mostly married away.
    So why dont you guys make the grow-up age to 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Varangian_Guard View Post
    Hi to everyone,

But I disagree with your intention to not have an education system in your mod.
    History teaches us that education is and will be the turning point for every civilization/country/race.

So, in my humble opinion you should have an education system implemented to this looking-perfect mod.

This will add a little more micromanagement, but it will also make you "admire/respect" your characters a little bit more.

Thank you for listening
    Well, firstly, an average medieval lord was educated at home, and secondly, he wasn't very well educated. This varied of course - for instance, more noblemen received university education in northern Italy & southern France and there were some highly literate noblemen. And a lord couldn't simply choose to be a soldier or a governor, because he had to tend to his landed property no matter what. And as a member of warrior class he was supposed to be able to fight when needed.

We have never claimed that we have ignored the role of education. In fact we have included education, but in a way which aims at historical accuracy.
    Last edited by Alkidas; November 25, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alkidas View Post
    Well, firstly, an average medieval lord was educated at home, and secondly, he wasn't very well educated. This varied of course - for instance, more noblemen received university education in northern Italy & southern France and there were some highly literate noblemen. And a lord couldn't simply choose to be a soldier or a governor, because he had to tend to his landed property no matter what. And as a member of warrior class he was supposed to be able to fight when needed.

We have never claimed that we have ignored the role of education. In fact we have included education, but in a way which aims at historical accuracy.
    I think this kind of solves the discussion, tbh...

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Quote Originally Posted by Alkidas View Post
    Could you be a little more specific.
    In what way is education presented in the game?
    Just of curiosity, because I like the education system. too...

Thank you
    Agis
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

All the designs aren't finished yet. What is pretty certain is that by building universities the govenors will acquire university-trained administrators, lawyers, who will improve the administration of provinces and strenghten the power of the king. Historically, since the 12th century, professional lawyers versed in Roman (behind this is the discovery of the Justinian code) law in the universities began staffing the governments. There may be other benefits for universities too - there are some plans, but I'm not sure yet.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Education has been touched on in the dev forums, and will be adressed. How we are not certain... some benifits will be building effects.. others Character inteligence... and someothers items we are thinking of..

Like Alkidas mentioned.. education of a nobleman was done at home.
    So you won't have to send your youngster to a far off city to be educated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12