View Poll Results: The greatest soldiers?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carthaginain

9 3.31%
  • Gaullic

0 0%
  • German

40 14.71%
  • Roman

81 29.78%
  • Persian

5 1.84%
  • Greek

40 14.71%
  • British

27 9.93%
  • French

12 4.41%
  • Russian

14 5.15%
  • Other (please state which)

44 16.18%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Soldiers

I've noticed the great general threads and thought that maybe the little guys got some attention *wink* Anyway... I'm pretty sure I've fogotten some soldier. No offense if I've forgotten your particular nation's. As my profile states I'm still only in high school (damn the limitations of youth :wack )

Any way what are your thoughts? I'd say the romans. Mainly due to their resilincy (sp). I certainly agree that Hannibal is the greatest general of all time. However the roman's ability to rebound from his attacks and then to go on and rule the known world is a high testament indeed to the common Roman soldier.

(FIRST POST!! YAY *tongue* )

How about Japanese? Samurai get good press.

Also Spartans are mostly thought of as superior to other greek soldiers...
    Proudly under the patronage of my honoured TWC father Justinian

Respect is an action, not an act.

Originally posted by Ran Taro@Mar 21 2005, 09:32 PM
    How about Japanese? Samurai get good press.

Also Spartans are mostly thought of as superior to other greek soldiers...
    I knew I'd forgotten something... matter of fact I didn't think of anyone from the Far East. Oh well sorry all. And anyway I included the Spartans with the Greeks because they've fought with the greeks and are generally considered Greek.

If you mean ethnically then there is no single answer. Germans are very organized, and have prooven to be good fighters. Russians have a lot of stamina and endurance. Swiss have mastered combat, being mercenaries for centuries. Japanese tend to be easily inspired, and have great discipline. Having great discipline can also be said for the Chinese. Ethiopians are born warriors. Can't think of anyone else.

You gotta give an era... I mean, the Prussians were pretty incredible in their time, so were the Mongols/Xiang Nu, so were Japan's troops in WWII.. It's so hard to do these "best of all time" questions. There's a lot of time to be covered.

Originally posted by WoodenTaco@Mar 21 2005, 09:39 PM
    You gotta give an era... I mean, the Prussians were pretty incredible in their time, so were the Mongols/Xiang Nu, so were Japan's troops in WWII.. It's so hard to do these "best of all time" questions. There's a lot of time to be covered.
    An era? I don't know because they take in too many things. I mean right now a modern day army in melee would get flattened by an ancient or medeival army but if you take technology then the modern easy. So I just went with this one... mainly out of a desire to see the little guy get some attention :8

Originally posted by WoodenTaco@Mar 21 2005, 10:39 PM
    Concurs. You need to provide an era; this is way too open to interpretation.

I am going to second the Japanese.

The had no concept of surrender and they fought tell they were dead. They did have the tendency to throw away their lives carelessly but hell its a good way to go. There were Japanese soldiers hiding out in the jungles in the 1970's, still fighting WW2. My type of people.

But they do have a tendency for perversion.

If I was a dictator, I would diffinitely pick the Japanese as the people to follow me. (They have by far the longest monarch dynasty)

Isn't the most decorated unit in the U.S. army during WW2 comprised only of Japanese Americans?

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Its a split descision between Greeks and Romans for me. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses. Each had their own abilities as well. It depended on the time period really.

In truth I don't think there is one soldier that is the greatest for all time you'd have to use different ones for different periods and even then there is some conjecture. These are the ones I think of:

Ancient: Romans-The world's first professional army and really an awsome war machine that was also good at building aquaducts, roads and other civic works.

Middle Ages: Mongols-After Ghengis Khan united the Mongol tribes they became a war machine just like Romans did, though on a greater scale with every male required to practice with a bow and serve in the army.

Rennasance: Spainish Conqesdedors-Also great diplomats and got large native armies to turn against their conqureors and used them to their advantage.

16-1700's: Prussians-Another millitary society, formed the basis for most armies of the period.

1800's: British-Built the greatest empire since the Roman one.

Today: U.S.-Most advanced and experinced army around, plus I'm a bit of a nationalist.

Honorable mentions: Samurai-Great warriors, but I wouldn't call them soldiers as they fought as individuals.

Zulu: If they started a few hundred years earlier than they did they may have constructed a sub-Saharan African version of the Roman empire insted of getting .455 Martini Henry bullets shot through themselves.

Yes I believe it was 442nd regimental combat team. To answer Dark Lurker.

This is very subjective. But I would just say Spartans. But it really does depend on the era.

Isn't the most decorated unit in the U.S. army during WW2 comprised only of Japanese Americans?
    442nd Regemental Combat Team, recruited from 2nd Generation Japanese Americans, I forget their medal stats though, you'd have to look it up.

The germans were quite good. In both world wars they took on more then half of the world, and they manage to come within sniffing distances both times. Considering how small they are (as a nation) that is impressive indeed.

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

Turks not on the list...again...fuggin shame... *wink*

Originally posted by Mehmed II@Mar 22 2005, 12:10 AM
    Turks not on the list...again...fuggin shame... *wink*
    What do you expect when the topic creator is western? At least they put the Persians on the list....

And what is so good about them exactly?

Foederatus

the 442nd was the most decorated unit of its size in the U.S. army; there were larger units with more medals

they were good soldiers although i voted for british woot
    cuando omni flunkus moritati

Originally posted by lee1026@Mar 22 2005, 12:27 AM
    And what is so good about them exactly?
    The Turks, you ask? Well, they only dominated most of their opponents, if that's enough.

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Ancient: I would go with the Romans (diciplined, brave, conquered the world)
    Medieval: Templar Knights (best warriors available at the time, quite diciplined compared to other knights)
    1500's to 20 century: English and Prussian soldiers.
    20 century: German army (WWI, WWII)
    Today: U.S.

Originally posted by Carsomyr@Mar 21 2005, 11:31 PM
    The Turks, you ask? Well, they only dominated most of their opponents, if that's enough.
    Yeah, they were great soldiers during their time. My Cossack ansecetors stood up to them but few others did. However towards the end they did see a distinct drop off, culminating in World War I.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast