Thread: Europa Universalis

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

Default Europa Universalis

What are those games like? I was gonna buy it, but decided i might as well not, i didnt see how is could be better than rome(with eb)

So what is it like? Is it worth buying? What do you do? Is it similar to the empire building thing of civilization games? what is it like?
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Europa Universalis

Europa Universalis III, simply magnificent, IMO, I like taking something like Ireland, or the Byzantine Empire (Which is very much on it's backlegs) and re-writing history, make sure if you get it, to get Napoleon's Ambition and In Nomine (If you want it much harder, get In Nomine, that is) It is really nothing like Civ IV, the cities are all pre-determined, and the map is of the world (Virtually everything)

Be warned that most Paradox games have a steep learning curve. I'm sure there are many people who will "get it" straight away, but I still find them boggling at times. TW games are simplistic in comparison.

but what do you actually do?
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Trying the demo should probably tell you more than any of us could.

If you like it and decide to buy it, make sure you get both the Napoleons Ambition and the In Nomine expansions

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

rusina's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Manoflooks View Post
    but what do you actually do?
    If you mean what you do in the game: You almost fully control your country from 1399-1820 (with both expansions).

Go ahead. EUIII is like $10 on amazon. It's a pretty good deal for a game that will take up some of your time.

maybe i will buy it.

what about europa universalis: rome? ive been looking at that in teh store.
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

EU: Rome sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

No Rome. It kills the entire series.

I, personally, enjoyed vanilla Rome. It did get boring in places, but things have improved with the new Vae Victus expansion. Much more to see and do. It's also easier to learn than various other Paradox games.

EUIII is fun, but don't play IN until you're ready, it makes it much more difficult.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

That's what I found out. Rebels are no joke, and so is conquering.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

Rebels severely cramp my ability to take over the world as non-Latin powers.
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Speaking of that, I just had the most epic war I've ever experienced in the game. I was Deccan (Allah FTW) and I had conquered all of India, but then got cocky with my new regional superpower status and decided to go single handedly against Delhi and her 5 allies.

I won the war in the end, but I'll be damned if it didn't take 26 years, with me having my entire army wiped out, having to build a new army, and adapt to Delhi's devastating tactic.

At the beginning of the war I had some weakly defended provinces way on the other side of Delhi. Her and her allies take those quick and exterminate my army there. Fine, I planned on a one wave assault anyway. Well, I had about 5 nice sized, evenly balanced inf/cavalry armies making decent progress. The smaller allies of Delhi were untouched, but I was on the road to victory in no time.

Then... The first couple rebels appear back home in India. I can't pull any troops off the frontline without bringing the offensive to a stand still, so the Sultan makes a judgement call and decides to hurry up and finish off Delhi before going back to quell the rebellion. [THIS WAS MY FIRST MISTAKE.] Shortly after that Delhi seems utterly broken with only one army left. I really should have checked what that army was composed of, because Delhi went Mongol on my ass. They had a single stack of about 16 thousand cavalry, and I knew something was up when whole armies of mine began to dissapear. The Sultan goes "Oh noes..." and decides that if we can just take out this last army, we have Delhi in our hands. So he sends three full armies after it, but the AI blows my mind in how it avoids ever having to engage more than one at a time and gradually completes the annihilation of those three armies, utterly crippling me. You see, I had mixed, above average sized armies. That means, his huge pure cav army was able to beat my army in one province, chase it away from the others, and then finish it off in the next couple. Rinse and repeat. I had no answer for it, as it was too late to reorganize my troops since most of them were being introduced to the virgins at that time.

I took the last couple armies and fled, well, fled deeper into Delhi territory, running away from the cav army while it was occupied with destroying one of my other fleeing armies and went to go take on the weak allies while I build up new forces back home. Well, the rebellion had already gotten bigger by then. Not devestating, but bigger. I build the new army, the exact same way I built my old army, just bigger with some expensive generals leading them. I decide the rebellion is getting dangerous, so I try to take it on before heading back to Delhi since the cav army can't take my provinces.

DOH, THE MARAUDING HORDE SWOOPS DOWN AND WIPES OUT MY NEW ARMIES WHILE THEY ARE ENGAGING THE REBELS. I felt like I was playing against Sun Tzu or something.

A lot of stuff happens for many years, involving a massive rebellion forming, me unable to pump out troops fast enough to handle them, and a few thousand Delhi elite cavalry running around scaring the $#% out of me. Oh, and the kicker was that the war was taking so long that Delhi was also having a full, all out rebellion as well, except theres was very effective at defending their land, and oozing out into my own territory. Eventually I begin forming small, 1 to 2k infantry squads to recapture rebelled provinces while I build up my answer to Delhi's new tactic. I build three massive cavalry armies. One dedicated to wiping out the rebels, one dedicated to destroying the Delhi army once and for all, and the third one helping the other two armies as neccisary.

I finally, finally end up winning. I take land and huge amounts of gold from all the defeated allies, and annex all but once province of Delhi. My inflation has shot up, but surprisingly not as much as I though, thanks to having a strong, strong economy before going into war. My war weariness is huge thanks to war taxes, and my provinces are just itching to continue their fight for a free India. They don't know one thing though, that I've taken those three cavalry armies and am now nipping every little rebellion in the bud, and instituting penalties on thought crimes (at least in roleplay, anyway.)

My Sultan has the strongest empire in Asia, outside of a mysterious, barely visible Ming, yet can he hold it together? This is going to be a reaaaaaly, fun campaign. IN is a tough mistress.

Hope you liked the story. If someone mods this because it might be off topic, at least warn me first so I can copy paste that story. I didn't realize it would go so long.

PS The sad part is, the original Sultan that started the war died just months before victory. At least he could foresee the triumph to come... He will be remembered.

Rebels can be a like that. I have lost many nice saves (read: Bavaria über alles) in frustration because of those guys.

Without them things would've been easy though
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    Speaking of that, I just had the most epic war I've ever experienced in the game. I was Deccan (Allah FTW) and I had conquered all of India, but then got cocky with my new regional superpower status and decided to go single handedly against Delhi and her 5 allies.

I won the war in the end, but I'll be damned if it didn't take 26 years, with me having my entire army wiped out, having to build a new army, and adapt to Delhi's devastating tactic.

At the beginning of the war I had some weakly defended provinces way on the other side of Delhi. Her and her allies take those quick and exterminate my army there. Fine, I planned on a one wave assault anyway. Well, I had about 5 nice sized, evenly balanced inf/cavalry armies making decent progress. The smaller allies of Delhi were untouched, but I was on the road to victory in no time.

Then... The first couple rebels appear back home in India. I can't pull any troops off the frontline without bringing the offensive to a stand still, so the Sultan makes a judgement call and decides to hurry up and finish off Delhi before going back to quell the rebellion. [THIS WAS MY FIRST MISTAKE.] Shortly after that Delhi seems utterly broken with only one army left. I really should have checked what that army was composed of, because Delhi went Mongol on my ass. They had a single stack of about 16 thousand cavalry, and I knew something was up when whole armies of mine began to dissapear. The Sultan goes "Oh noes..." and decides that if we can just take out this last army, we have Delhi in our hands. So he sends three full armies after it, but the AI blows my mind in how it avoids ever having to engage more than one at a time and gradually completes the annihilation of those three armies, utterly crippling me. You see, I had mixed, above average sized armies. That means, his huge pure cav army was able to beat my army in one province, chase it away from the others, and then finish it off in the next couple. Rinse and repeat. I had no answer for it, as it was too late to reorganize my troops since most of them were being introduced to the virgins at that time.

I took the last couple armies and fled, well, fled deeper into Delhi territory, running away from the cav army while it was occupied with destroying one of my other fleeing armies and went to go take on the weak allies while I build up new forces back home. Well, the rebellion had already gotten bigger by then. Not devestating, but bigger. I build the new army, the exact same way I built my old army, just bigger with some expensive generals leading them. I decide the rebellion is getting dangerous, so I try to take it on before heading back to Delhi since the cav army can't take my provinces.

DOH, THE MARAUDING HORDE SWOOPS DOWN AND WIPES OUT MY NEW ARMIES WHILE THEY ARE ENGAGING THE REBELS. I felt like I was playing against Sun Tzu or something.

A lot of stuff happens for many years, involving a massive rebellion forming, me unable to pump out troops fast enough to handle them, and a few thousand Delhi elite cavalry running around scaring the $#% out of me. Oh, and the kicker was that the war was taking so long that Delhi was also having a full, all out rebellion as well, except theres was very effective at defending their land, and oozing out into my own territory. Eventually I begin forming small, 1 to 2k infantry squads to recapture rebelled provinces while I build up my answer to Delhi's new tactic. I build three massive cavalry armies. One dedicated to wiping out the rebels, one dedicated to destroying the Delhi army once and for all, and the third one helping the other two armies as neccisary.

I finally, finally end up winning. I take land and huge amounts of gold from all the defeated allies, and annex all but once province of Delhi. My inflation has shot up, but surprisingly not as much as I though, thanks to having a strong, strong economy before going into war. My war weariness is huge thanks to war taxes, and my provinces are just itching to continue their fight for a free India. They don't know one thing though, that I've taken those three cavalry armies and am now nipping every little rebellion in the bud, and instituting penalties on thought crimes (at least in roleplay, anyway.)

My Sultan has the strongest empire in Asia, outside of a mysterious, barely visible Ming, yet can he hold it together? This is going to be a reaaaaaly, fun campaign. IN is a tough mistress.

Hope you liked the story. If someone mods this because it might be off topic, at least warn me first so I can copy paste that story. I didn't realize it would go so long.

PS The sad part is, the original Sultan that started the war died just months before victory. At least he could foresee the triumph to come... He will be remembered.
    I know how you feel...
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

haha
    my comp cant run eu3
    so i play eu 2

which is pretty fun, but from what i hear of eu3, not even close to its awesomeness

wooot!!!!
    wooot!!

sry for spamming but

500th post