Thread: Whiskey in the Jar, an EU III Ulster AAR

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default Whiskey in the Jar, an EU III Ulster AAR

This is my first ever AAR, to a game I'm relatively new to, based on the part of Ireland from whence my family comes. I'm playing In Nomine, everything default except for colonists: 400, agents: free and random lucky nations (Let's just hope it ain't England ) There will be only one cheat, and that's the one little pick-me-up 5000 gold at the very start of the game, right then, I'll start, oh and inflation is off because I simply hate it.

(Damnit, could a mod please change the title to Tyrone AAR instead of Ulster AAR?)

T'was a Saturday, the 15th of October, 1399 in the land of my forefathers. The air was filled with the sound of coins being dropped into store, and the constant patrol of the 1st and only Tyrone Regiment. The day was indeed a fine one, there had not been a foray into Tyrone territory in several years, let alone Irish territory, and the gentle breeze rocked the boats in the dock. King Niall, a fair and good Lord, albeit a little green, beckoned to a diplomat, and summoned him over, Niall sensed it was too quiet in county Mide, the part unlawfully wrested from the High King by England. He whispered in the diplomat's ear that he is sending him to Scotland, and that he is to request a Royal marriage between them, to at least give them a little comfort about the red peril, and that they were not alone in the world. On second thoughts, he sent two more, one to Leinster, the other to Brittany, just to be safe

All was not well the Emerald Isle, for reasons unbeknownst to King Niall (And myself) County Munster (My least favourite had been attacked by Leinster and Connaucht, along with Brittany, who had yet to arrive, this fight was sure to result in annexation of Munster, and leave the Leinster-Connaucht-Brittany alliance more powerful than before, this does not bode well for Tyrone (I invested a lot of money in Govt. tech and now have a national idea, now I have 1700 out of 5000, still keeping me by far the richest in Ireland, likely Britain, and even possibly Europe, and therefore, the world?)

Suddenly, and rather in a pleasantly surprising way, the King of Brittany passed away, and entered a Personal Union under the patronage of King Niall, at the speed of light, the uneven ground was struck down and left King Niall looking rather evilly at county Connaucht and Leinster, the strike would have to be quick, though, so neither had the chance to become two-provinces. King Niall gave the order for mercenaries to be rounded up for service at every oppurtunity, Tyrone was going to war!
    Last edited by Pious Agnost; November 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: Whiskey in the Jar, an EU III Ulster AAR

Off topic: I feel very cheap now, I just remembered I altered the conditions for forming Ireland to be only owning Munster, but the AI will never do it

After a landslide victory in the Great Irish war, and destruction of the Leinster-Connaucht pact (I annexed Connaucht, and took one province, vassalised Leinster, stupid engine not allowing me to annex them also.) (which was rather uneventful, just a siege fest as usual) King Niall was able to walk in the halls of Connaucht, although his vassal was rather doomed, he could do nothing, even if he wanted to, as you can see, England DOWed Leinster, during my war with them, thankfully they waited for me to initiate the siege, and jumped in behind me, extra soldiers for the assault, and I get to take all the warscore too!

Things were not all well, being the only Irish nation left (Kinda) King Niall waltzed into the Hall of Connaucht, and signed the forming of the Irish nation, (making this AAR an official Irish AAR ) this was not the bad thing, the bad thing was, Brittany sent insult, after insult, after insult to King Niall. As he walked through the Great Hall of Tyrone, lonely, he asked himself over and over again, "Why did they give you the Crown if they were just going to call your mother a hampster, and tell you your father smells of elderberries" Eventually he came to the conclusion that it was an oversight of Paradox's, he immediately forgot this because it was a system limitation

After losing a war with England, Scotland saw fit to strengthen it's position, offering an alliance to King Niall, this was accepted hastily, as in the event of England declaring war on Scotland, King Niall would like to make a good account of himself as a fierce High King, and have songs written about him as though he were Brian Boru himself. Sponsoring rebels in England was a good move on Niall's part, as it set in motion a weakening of England, for a superior force of Leinster rebels sprang up in England-owned Leinster, and Patriotic Irishmen in Meath, and instantly destroyed the standing garrison and beginning the long siege England could do nothing about, already being busy with rebels elsewhere. Niall sat on his throne, contemplating his next best move, constant insulting by Britanny had left his heir in a tight spot, as there would almost certainly be a Britanny-Irish war following his passing. He decided the best thing to do was to leave a strong military and navy, and fat treasury, maybe an alliance or two

England was slowly eroding, a war with France had taken away Calais, Gascoigne and the other one in Northern Spain\Southern France, rebels had reclaimed Leinster for my nation, and were working on Meath, Scotland had a strong army and navy, and I had a strong... Navy. King Henry now had almost no influence beyond mainland England, and soon, maybe he won't have control over that either.
    Last edited by Pious Agnost; November 18, 2008 at 03:51 AM.

Things feel too easy, it can't have all been that 5000 gold at the start I'm sure, anyway, I'm going to take a one-day break, feel free to suggest a course of action or criticize my work, provided someone actually reads this, :hmmm:

Daimon's Avatar Miles

You should post this at the Paradox AAR forums.. You get a lot more readers..

Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    You should post this at the Paradox AAR forums.. You get a lot more readers..
    I signed up the day before I wrote this, but it wouldn't let me post in AAR section, so I just put it here, works now though

This AAR is no longer being written, the continued one can be found on Paradox Interactive's forums http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...post&p=9082538 here
    Last edited by Pious Agnost; November 19, 2008 at 03:58 PM.