Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pontifex

4 50.00%
  • Juvenal

3 37.50%
  • Abstain, for I am lame...

1 12.50%

Thread: Tale of the Week 13 - Break the tie or die!

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tale of the Week 13 - Break the tie or die!

Two equal gentlemen are bound to fight it out!

Juvenal

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Horsemen of the Apocalypse

The three riders plodded slowly across the burning plain, two seeming to wink in and out of existence, as if not fully committed to this world.

I really can't be bothered any more”, said gaunt black Death. All I get here are the regurgitated left-overs from that greedy bastard”.

Don't you get the nobles when they pop their clogs over doing it in the harem or in the feasting hall?” suggested Famine, portly and sweating in his tightly fitting full plate armour.

Yes, but most of them die in suicidal charges, which means War gets them first. By the time I see them they're all dried out and they taste disgusting”.

Count yourself lucky”, said Famine, I get nothing at all, armies can sit in the middle of the desert for a hundred years and no one starves!”

As for Pestilence,” he continued, gesturing to the pathetic figure bringing up the rear, the next scripted plague is fifty years away, so he has to carry it himself until then, poor bugger ...You all right back there?” The figure attempted a response, but all that came out was a wet gurgling cough.

The two of them agreed that War was definitely having all the fun.

Famine continued in a low voice Actually I've been rather naughty, I took all the siege casualties, after all it doesn't actually say they die of disease – it could easily have been starvation, they don't even have refrigeration yet!”

Looking back they saw the Pestilence had stopped, his back arched in a spasm. He gave a great racking choking cough that sent blood and bile arcing through the air only to be swallowed instantly by the parched earth. Then he toppled slowly from his horse. While he was still falling, both rider and horse abruptly disappeared.

Well, that's torn it.” said Pestilence. I'm off too, maybe we'll have better luck in ETW”.

The burning plain was empty, natural disasters no longer worked and soldiers still lived forever, but at least War was happy.

Pontifex

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blood andSand

-for sensi XD

The bolt struck his neck, just above the breastplate. The brilliant spray of red that splattered along the steed's back was closely followed by the warrior's last dying breath as he slid from the saddle. The warrior landed in a crumpled pile of his own gear, once polished and shining, but now blighted with smears or bloody mud.

About 100 yards away, standing on the hilltop, a young man wielding a crossbow recovered from the slight recoil of his weapon and looked towards the field. It was almost impossible to plot the flight of his bolt through the chaos of the enemy charge, but he was fairly certain the bolt hit a target, as several mounts fell at about the same time his bolt would have reached the enemy. With a smirk, the young European again went about reloading his weapon. The desert sand scorched his feet as he struggled to pull the string back on his weapon. Reaching for an arrow, the young marksman heard a whirring buzz, and in an instant his comrade nearby was struck down with nothing but plumage visible and protruding from the hole in his chest.

Looking quickly to his left, cold fear gripped him as the crossbowman realized their position was flanked by mounted archers. The buzz of panic and horror was quickly stifled by a silent dart, loosed from an unknown rider, which found it's mark in the man's belly. As the man fell, his bowels opened and a mixture of filth and blood mixed with the gray sand. The cold eyes of the dead stare straight ahead, uncaring as the bodies were claimed by the desert. Standing on a distant holltop, the ghastly visage of a mounted rider, banner furling in the wind, could be seen silhouetted against the setting sun. The rider reared his mount and trotted off in the opposite direction, never again to return to the field.

Default Re: Tale of the Week 13 - Break the tie or die!

Ponti, just because he listened to my advice on an AWESOME TITLE! Though Juvenals was incredibly funny!

~Sensi
    l My Photobucket l My New, Hot Profile l My Signature Gallery l
    "What always staggers me is that when people blow their noses, they always look into their hankies to see what came out. What do they expect to find?"- Billy Connolly.
    - Been creating Signatures since '06 -

Of course it comes down to an epic runoff. I suck at runoffs.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

_Pontifex_ gets my vote. I just couldn't get Juvenals or find it incredibly funny.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bomberboy View Post
    _Pontifex_ gets my vote. I just couldn't get Juvenals or find it incredibly funny.
    I suppose it is quite hard to laugh at the Horsemen of the Apocalypse (although I managed it - maybe I just have a sick imagination).

The idea of "what would the four horseman make of M2TW" was so attractive I just had to write something about it.

Looks like my former supporters have deserted me.

Still, well done Ponti!
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

I haven't deserted you just found pontifex's better and I could understand it more.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

It's not an accident that these two stories came up to the scratch. Both of them are well written and exciting in one way or another.

Juvenal's subtle humour made a nice contrast to the sublimeness of the picture. The Four Horsemen complaining like unemployed villains, hilarious. It springs from the idea, that we need humour to ridicule the Powerful and the Fearsome. We laugh, because we feel superior to things and people who otherwise would be superior to us. On a side note, I think it would have been cheekier without the last line.

Golden Line:
    The two of them agreed that War was definitely having all the fun.
    Ponti's Blood&Gore proved to be a nice read for me too. I think he is playing with our emotions by being indifferent and immovable towards the brutal suffering of a human. I liked this story because it was full of action, and rich in details.

Golden Line:

The buzz of panic and horror was quickly stifled by a silent dart, loosed from an unknown rider, which found it's mark in the man's belly.
    Finally, I'd like to present my other favourite Four Horsemen story, too.
    Written and performed by gentlemen, called James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich and Jason Newsted.

Complementing Juvenal's story in bold letters....

By the last breath of the fourth winds blow
    Better raise your ears
    The sound of hooves knocks at your door
    Lock up your wife and children now
    Its time to wield the blade
    For now you have got some company

The horsemen are drawing nearer
    On the leather steeds they ride
    They have come to take your life
    On through the dead of night
    With the four horsemen ride
    Or choose your fate and die

You have been dying since the day
    You were born
    You know it has all been planned
    The quartet of deliverance rides
    A sinner once a sinner twice
    No need for confession now
    Cause now you have got the fight of your life

Time
    Has taken its toll on you
    The lines that crack your face
    Famine
    Your body it has torn through
    Withered in every place
    Pestilence
    For what you have had to endure
    And what you have put others through
    Death
    Deliverance for you for sure
    There is nothing you can do

So gather round young warriors now
    And saddle up your steeds
    Killing scores with demon swords
    Now is the death of doers of wrong
    Swing the judgment hammer down
    Safely inside armor blood guts and sweat

Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 19, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

You do find a Metallica Song for each picture/story eh?

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Great post from Power Wizard, trouble is his damned Metallica lyrics are better than my story.

I was inspired by the need to find a non-obvious interpretation for the rider who has presumably just been hit by an arrow. Once I identified him as Pestilence taking a draught of his own medicine, everything else seemed to come quite naturally. Have you noticed that the other two riders look slightly transparent? The clear implication is that they are no ordinary knights.

I can't write as intensely as Pontifex, so I just have to stick to what I know best: irony and cynicism.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

I like delving into small, bloody details. Juvenal seems to command humor, which is an invaluable attribute to have and makes for very good writing. We all have our different fortes.

why does no one take voting option 3?

Icon1 Re: Tale of the Week 13 - Break the tie or die!

Quote Originally Posted by mollsomg View Post
    why does no one take voting option 3?

There shouldn't be an abstain option in the first place.
    This is not a politcal question...

How long do tiebreakers stay open?

erm... normally 3 days?
    It seems I forgot to do the setting.
    Thanks for reminding me lol