Thread: Black screen and crash...

Icon9 Black screen and crash...

Hello, everyone:
    I have been trying to use this mod and unfortunately, I can't get it to work.

I installed M2TW clean and patched to 1.2. I played it to make sure it worked.

I then unzipped R&P Mod 2.4 into the game directory. I followed that by extracting 2.4.1 and then 2.4.2 into the game directory.

I used the launcherreg.reg and the used the M2TW to try and launch the mod. Everything works until I tried to start the actual campaing (clicking on the start button fromthe screen you choose the faction from). At that point the screen goes black. I can very dimly see a warning dialog, but no details. If I hit the Esc key, the screen clears and the game is gone (crashed).

I applied patch 1.3 and reapplied the R&P Mod in ord (2.4, 2.4.1, 2.4.2) and tried again. Same thing.

The normal version of the game plays fine so I am not sure what is wrong or what I have done incorrectly.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Black screen and crash...

Hope you like the mod when you can play it.

I personally don't use the launcher because the design is not good for multiple mods in multiple directories. I have four mods in In different Medieval2 folders named differently and the only one the launcher recognizes is the original. Bad design.

In your Medieval II Total War folder you'll find a regionmodBM.bat file. click on it and see if it will start a campaign. If it does just make yourself a desktop shortcut to it.

Good or bad news let me know how it goes, please. When I get the worst of the kinks worked out of this mod, I'm going to have to make an installer version and get rid of that launcher.

Thank you for the reply. I looked for the regionmodBM.bat file (in the Medieval II Total War folder and the zip files), but could not find it.

Okay, my oops. Try io_filefirstregionsmodBM.bat

Hi guyz,

i have a very similar problem. I made a new english installation updated it to 1.2 and finally i insalled 2.4, 2.4.1, 2.4.2. I start the game with regionmodBM.bat everything works fine. i can choose my faction etc, but if i then click on start it crashes with an unknown error.

I hope u can help me

Quote Originally Posted by CarnifexMaximus View Post
    Hi guyz,

i have a very similar problem. I made a new english installation updated it to 1.2 and finally i insalled 2.4, 2.4.1, 2.4.2. I start the game with regionmodBM.bat everything works fine. i can choose my faction etc, but if i then click on start it crashes with an unknown error.

I hope u can help me
    Does it go back to desktop or just back to the options screen?
    Would you post the system.log.txt in the logs folder?
    Could be a number of things including one of the files didn't download right.

hi irishron,

it goes directly back to the desktop, where the error notification comes.

17:46:04.359 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    17:46:04.359 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    17:46:04.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    17:46:40.187 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War hat einen unbestimmten Fehler entdeckt und wird jetzt beendet.

I would say it is a bad download, any or all of them for some reason, or a bad install of 1.2. If 1.2 worked okay before you installed the mod then one of the mod downloads is bad. Since the mod works for others this is the only reasonable explanation.

the normal campaign is working. so which download i should try then :hmmm:

Do you mean the normal campaign in the mod or in the original game?

If you mean the original game, I would download, install, and start a campaign in each one in order to make sure each one works before trying the next one. Time consuming but then you know where the problem is.

Keep me posted and good luck.