Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Progress Thread

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Re: Progress Thread

alright top of the list again! thats the way to go GED. hope u had a good ThxGiving!
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I put the worst students at the top so I remember to keep an eye on them.

I did, hope everyone else did as well. I am going through Lesson 3 one last time to make sure I got everything I wanted to include. I will probably post it a week early as well, which would mean sometime this weekend.

Thanks for posting the lesson early

Lesson 2 done and screenshots posted

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Why can't I link to Lesson 2?
    Is the link broken?
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

What do you mean??

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    What do you mean??
    When ever I hit the link of lesson 2, I get an error page, though I can open every other thread in the forum.
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Take a screenshot of that please.

you dont need to hide ur admiration of my skizels.

I did, hope everyone else did as well. I am going through Lesson 3 one last time to make sure I got everything I wanted to include. I will probably post it a week early as well, which would mean sometime this weekend.
    alright! that'd be great. i can't wait to sink in to that leasson, it looks like it'll be cool.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

having trouble in finding time to do lesson one, hopefully get it done over this weekend but I do have quite a bit of coursework to do, so I might not....

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

@ GrnEyedDvl
    Take a screenshot of that please

See the attached file, please
    Thank you
    Agis

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Ok well that didnt help lol

So only that thread does that to you??

EDIT: I cant figure out why you cannot see that thread. I copied the entire lesson into this one.

This week we will be changing parts of the user interface. This is designed to be fairly easy so everyone can build up some confidence and not be so intimidated by editing files. We will also need Alpaca's strings.bin converter for this part of the course.

Splash Screen:
    I did not originally plan to do this one, but since Why spent some of his free time making an image for this, we might as well include it. Thanks again Why.

First you need to create a new folder. Get into your ModBasics/data folder and create a new folder called menu. Download the attached file, called splash.tga, and place the file inside the menu folder. The download also includes some templates I made for the transition screens. When you run the game you will see your new splash screen.

Transition Screens:
    These are the screens that have the quotes on them that appear when switching from the battle map to the campaign map and back. I made some templates for this, I just took the original loading screens from the various M2TW and Kingdoms campaigns and cropped the center image out, leaving the borders. You can use these if you wish, or do something completely different. To use my templates just open then with whatever photo imaging software you want, and add an image as a layer underneath. Line everything up and save it as loading_screen_1.tga. You can make as many or as few as you want, just name them consecutively. loading_screen_1.tga, loading_screen_2.tga, loading_screen_3.tga, and so on. The game will randomly select one to display when it loads. I currently have over 30 in one mod folder.

Open your ModBasics/data folder and create a folder named loading_screen, and place all your images inside. If you look in the vanilla loading_screen folders, you will also notice that some of them have a loading_logo and loading_bar files. You can change these if you wish, and I have included a pretty cool sword loading_bar made for me by Maximillian I. If you want to make a custom logo for this or any other mod, this is where you place the file. Run the game and make sure everything works, but dont take a screen shot yet unless you really want to.

Custom Credits
    Now we will get into some text editing. Go into your vanilla M2TW/data/text folder and copy credits.txt into your ModBasics/data/text folder. Make SURE you leave the original in place and work with a copy so you can revert back to the original if you need to. This is the only file in the text folder that does not need to be converted with Alpaca's converter, which is why we are doing this one first.

Open the file and edit whatever text you want. I just made a quick credits file for this course that lists the professors and the students. There are two font sizes available, to use the standard size font do nothing, just type. To use the large font, place an underscore _ in front of the text. The text will automatically be centered as it scrolls down the screen. If you have two names that you want to display on the same line, place a pipe | between them and they will be evenly spaced. That is the key right above the enter key on most keyboards. Run the game, go to Options, View the Credits and take a screenshot of your credits screen.

Custom Quotes
    For this part you will need Alpaca's strings.bin converter. Download and install the tool following Alpaca's directions.

To change the quotes, we need to modify two files. Go into your vanilla M2TW/data folder and copy descr_transition_screen.txt into your ModBasics/data folder. Then go into your vanilla M2TW/data/text folder and copy quotes.txt.strings.bin into wherever you installed Alpac's convertor. I just have mine on the desktop. Run convert_all.bat. This should convert the strings.bin format into a standard text format that you can easily edit called quotes.txt.

Take a look at quotes.txt. You will see that they are laid out with all the authors first, and all the quotes after that, and that each has an assigned number. Author_1 matches up with Quote_1, and so on. The part inside the brackets is referred to by descr_transition_screen.txt, more on that later. The part outside the brackets is what is displayed in game. Change a few of the quotes and authors, you only need to change a couple. Delete the rest. Make sure you leave the little ¬ at the top of the file, and a blank line at the bottom of the file. If there is not a blank line at the bottom the last character of the last entry will be cut off. You will find this is true of many text files, so get used to leaving a blank line at the bottom of every file. Save your file, but do not run the game yet, if you do you WILL get a CTD.

The reason for the crash is simple, you deleted some entries that the game is looking for. Open descr_transitions_screen.txt. You will see that it is laid out similarly to quotes.txt. It has quote and quoted followed by "Quote_1" and "Author_1". For every entry in this file there MUST be a corresponding entry in quotes.txt. Whatever you add and remove here must also be added/removed from quotes.txt, and vice versa. Delete all the entries you dont need. If you have 3 authors and quotes in your quotes.txt file, then you need the same entries in this file. You can also add more quotes than the vanilla game has, I have one mod with well over 300 quotes in game. I dont want to make you change 120 entries for this class though, a couple is plenty. When everything matches up, save the file and run the game. The game will automatically create a new quotes.txt.strings.bin file, and your quotes should now show up in the game. Anytime after this that you make changes to your quotes files, you need to delete the strings.bin file and let it regenerate. Some of the strings.bin files will update without deleting them, but not all will, so get in the habit of deleting the files when you make changes. Take a screenshot and post it. This should show one of your transition screens and one of your new quotes.

Custom Menu
    Now we are going to change the text on the menu. Go to your vanilla M2TW/data/text folder and make a copy of menu_english.txt, then convert it using Alpaca's converter. Open the file and read through it as we will be coming back to this again later in the course. You can change all of the user interface text here, but all we are interested in right now is the name of the campaign, which is on line 859. Leave the part inside the brackets alone, and change the text outside the brackets to say something else. Mine says Modding Basics. Save the file and place it inside your ModBasics/data/text folder, then run the game. Your new text should now show up. Take a screenshot and post it.

To complete this section of the course, I want to see 3 screenshots from everyone:
    Credits screen with new text
    Transition screen with a new image and a custom quote
    Menu screen with changed text for the Grand Campaign

Here are my examples:
    Credits Screen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am now off to go have a fight with UPS, they lost one of my packages.

EDIT: Using the Templates
    First open the template file with Gimp. You should see the transparent area in the middle of the image, like this.

Then open whatever image you want to show in the center as a layer. I used Why's splash screen, but anything will work as long as it fills the transparent area. This will place the new image as a layer over the top of the template.

The top layer is already selected since that is the one we just opened, now we need to put it underneath the template. To do this click Layer, Stack, Layer to Bottom.

Once you get the image in place you can drag it around so it looks best. You might have to do some resizing depending on what image you use.
    Your finished file will look something like this. Save it as loading_screen_x.tga.
    Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; November 30, 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Lesson 2 completed, mod is running perfectly.
    See attached files

Thank you for your help
    Agis

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Man, I was feeling good about myself too.

Had a great Thanksgiving glad to hear you did as well.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

done for lesson 3 part 1 and 2

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Why View Post
    Man, I was feeling good about myself too.
    Do not feel yourself here or I may have to vote on the note you receive for Obscene Content...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    done for lesson 3 part 1 and 2
    Added.

Do not feel yourself here or I may have to vote on the note you receive for Obscene Content...
    ....eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Added.
    thanx, atleast i'm number 2 on the list. take that Why!

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

2nd place is the First Loser...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Sorry I get excited some time.

....eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I will not make the list so soon this time. Between real life and trying to get Road To Jerusalem up and running I've been busy. I will try to finish up maybe tonight or tomorrow.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

2nd place is the First Loser...
    well see now i can say "first is the worst, second is the best" so
    Quote Originally Posted by Why View Post
    Sorry I get excited some time.

I will not make the list so soon this time. Between real life and trying to get Road To Jerusalem up and running I've been busy. I will try to finish up maybe tonight or tomorrow.

y
    real life is insignificant next to the power of the forceTotal War Center.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast