Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 quick survey!

Default Fallout 3 quick survey!

Okay hot shot I just wanna gauge some opinions on what people liked and didn't like in Fallout 3. Please keep them in following form:

Liked

-combat system was excellent and rarely seemed a chore.

-Big world and good design in buildings, terrain etc.

-Physics was good. Worked in combat effectively.

-Story was pretty solid.

-Great touches in places. Seemed like a labour of love.

Didn't like

-Lack of missions. Sometimes didn't explore places as I thought they'd be for quests. Perhaps a colour-code for minor and major quest locations.

-Bethesda don't do scary, and when they try it er... isn't. A decent scary quest was needed. The Dunwich building was the closest to scary but wasn't a quest. So much could have been done with the voice messages a la System Shock.

-Not little pathos due to lack of immersion. It didn't make me care most of the time. Too much stick not enough carrot.

-Some weapons e.g the dart gun. The formidible guai and deathclaws were turned into slow targets by this. The burnmaster killed anything in ten seconds.

-Whole thing lacked a rough and ready edge. Probably due to engine.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Fallout 3 quick survey!

Well, without Dartgun it is very dangerous to fight a Deathclaw... and if it turn out "Deathclaws" you are pretty much dead.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Liked
    +Brian Wilks
    +Fallout atmosphere
    +Generally the atmosphere
    +Generally the humour
    +Graphics
    +" you, that's post-apocalypse for ya" feeling
    +Controls & Interface
    +Easily being able to die early when behaving dumb.

Disliked
    -Could not for all practical purposes adopt Brian myself.
    -IT CRASHES LIKE A ING PAPER PLANE
    -May not kill children, though that's a minor for my good dude playstyle.
    -VATS system suboptimally working
    -Dunno

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

LIKED:

Atmosphere (design, art, etc)
    President Eden (makes you feel sorry for not being yankee, lol)
    Combat system
    World size (though can be always bigger)
    Physics
    Life in the game (battling factions, caravans)

DISLIKED:
    Music (Unimpressive mainly)
    Oblivionish faces and face generator
    Lame conversations
    Too few voice actor
    The lack of a great city like San Reno
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Bethesda don't do scary, and when they try it er... isn't. A decent scary quest was needed. The Dunwich building was the closest to scary but wasn't a quest. So much could have been done with the voice messages a la System Shock.
    Id rather they avoid ridicolously scary questlines and areas. This isnt really the game for that.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    Id rather they avoid ridicolously scary questlines and areas. This isnt really the game for that.
    Well in the context of post-apocalyptica theres a few things that could have been done better. One of the scariest things in F3 was one of the Keller family tapes with the terrified woman describing the bombs falling, it just seemed very real and unnerving, but it wasn't really put in a scary quest. Also the andale scenario wasn't really unexpected and needed more atmosphere and narrative. A few logs of the victims maybe and a formal quest.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Andale was hilarious, I cant believe you found that as a kind of "horror" theme.

i guess it could use better fleshing out, but having quests on your pip-boy sometimes sort of ruins the immersion.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    Andale was hilarious, I cant believe you found that as a kind of "horror" theme.

i guess it could use better fleshing out, but having quests on your pip-boy sometimes sort of ruins the immersion.
    Well a clearer demarcation between funny and scary then as I thought Andale was supposed to be scary and I didn't find it amusing or scary.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Dunno..I was quite scared when some ghoul attacked me in an underground tunnel unexpectedly...I just imagine myself there...with these ugly creatures actually touching me, hehe..

I find the world to be very lonely..frighteningly abandoned and broken..and the dangers awaiting you great.
    Not a horror I suppose but keeps my nerves running, so to speak.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    Dunno..I was quite scared when some ghoul attacked me in an underground tunnel unexpectedly...I just imagine myself there...with these ugly creatures actually touching me, hehe..

I find the world to be very lonely..frighteningly abandoned and broken..and the dangers awaiting you great.
    Not a horror I suppose but keeps my nerves running, so to speak.
    The yogi bear things were the scariest as they ripped your head off as soon as you were turned around but the dart gun took the scary away as you could just back off and blast it when it was crippled.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    The yogi bear things were the scariest as they ripped your head off as soon as you were turned around but the dart gun took the scary away as you could just back off and blast it when it was crippled.
    Animal friend is a great peak.

My first and by means of animal friend luckily only Yao Guai really took me unprepared, just heard something, turned around, saw that guy in the middle of a spring towards me with his mouth wide open.
    The following "hunt" was really unnerving.

Mysterious stranger is greatest perk!

Nothing is more satisfying than him finishing Behemoth off.

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Mysterious stranger is greatest perk!

Nothing is more satisfying than him finishing Behemoth off.
    Very imaginative and well implemented I thought. I can't say the same for bloody mess though I thought it was too silly. For me, anyway.

Yea, mysterious Stranger really fits to fallout world.

Some random 50's detective...

I called him Humphrey. Don't know if he has an official name though.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Never has that perk before...

you missed out it was one of the best, made you go 'Phew! thanks Humphrey!'

Domesticus

Liked

-The Atmosphere was great, it truly gives you a sense of a great world once was, and the sad depressing state it is now.
    -The weapons feel and sound great.
    -The world was full of choices, i found it very hard to stay neutral, and the choices actually had convincing consequences.
    -The world was not too large or too small, exploring is great and you never know what you find or who you stumble across.
    -The characters in the game played their parts very well.

Didn't like.

-Not enough weapon and armor variety, i know i am spoiled by oblivion, but there are just too little variety in weapons and models, at least they should have given a reskin to the special weapons, to make them visually different.
    -more melee weapons would have been nice also, and maybe a shield, that could absorb some gunfire before being useless, i hate playing melee, and being completely blasted into shreds by ranged opponents.
    -More enemy variety and tougher enemies. If you know how you play shooters, it is too easy to score head shots with almost any weapon, and most enemies go down with a few headshots.
    -More joinable factions, and faction specific missions and quests, like in oblivion with the guilds.
    -No more experience after LvL20?, eh, it would have made sense if leveling up was made hard, but iam already LvL18 and i havent even finished 1/4 of the game.
    -No pump shotgun, common now, what FPS does not have a pump action shotgun.

Absolutely hated.

-Performances issues, please fix the memory leaks, I have used Vats a total of maybe 5 times, and thats it because of the memory leak.

Weapons I didn't like-

The sawed-off shotgun- really, did it have a use? I would take a chinese pistol over it.
    The minigun- I waited till level 20 to use it and found it to be next to useless.
    Super Sledge- My special sledgehammer 'Tenderizer' was by far the superior weapon. Did the SS have a special I was unaware of?
    Experimental MIRV- actually a great weapon but I accidently shot myself in the foot with it and it hurt.

Weapons I did like:

Harkness' Plasma rifle (pure power)
    Hunting rifle
    Combat shotgun

Useless weapons:

Minigun... cuddles supermutants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast