Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Building Icons Preview --

Default Re: --Building Icons Preview-- (Gondor update 23/11/08)

Still got a lot of work to do on the Three i have done, I was going to move onto the Dwarves but after talking with the Hairy One, thought it would be a good idea to do a full icon change, so still have walls, roads and farmland to do for the 3 factions as well as finish of Gondor

Full Icon change? That doesn't sound fun. Sounds like the Hairy One rules with an iron fist!!

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the stubby, bearded ones.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

I think all icons which you've done are excellent and need no changes.

Well really good art work and I am glad for any progress ... now I know that I do not have that much to offer for your team ... but in the artwork case I can. I am not using photo shop but I can scan some schemes that I think you should improve.

So first of all - if you divide the elves into 2 then I guess you will have the elves of Lorian and the elves of the wooden kingdom in the same party and the elves of Rivindel and Mithlond into a second group in this case the paintings are all great for the wood elves but care in mind that I think the second group are more stone like Gondor case.

Second issue - Gondor's archery stables and barracks doesn't feel right (my opinion).
    * The archery looks like a kids courtyard ... just a square with 2 practice targets add some life a small tower a body target and some arrows in the targets some archways maybe will be good and a good small building for the soldiers to sleep in. I liked the Gondor archery from BFME the first it had some life in it
    * As for the stables add some stacks of food for the hourses some footprints and more horses more structure in the un-upgraded building and maybe you should make the upgraded one more like a track race like in Romes upgraded stables.
    * The barracks is the "worst" (its good artwork but I really don't like it) its looks like just a building add up maybe soldier's quaters and maybe some soldiers in raw in front of a captain.

Gondor's music hall sounds out of place because you already got an elvish one, try something else like philosophy hall or something maybe kings hall

add ships to the shipyard to make it feel alive some man uploading goods maybe. a fuss near the harbor is always present.

and last one - add to the Gondor's tavern beer sign maybe some lights from the windows make it feel like the hot spot for the night

except what I mentioned above Really good job on the rest .. I will try scanning some of my ideas . I really enjoyed Mordor's artwork keep on the good work.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Like_Me View Post
    * The barracks is the "worst" (its good artwork but I really don't like it) its looks like just a building add up maybe soldier's quaters and maybe some soldiers in raw in front of a captain.
    Perhaps a statue as well?

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

hope my comments are not offending, as I said I really appreciate the work you guys are doing, Its pure charity work.

A statue could maybe be doing it like two small figures at front of the building shaped like the White-Tower Guardians. small bushes could fit as well I don't remember clearly but I think in Healing house chapter there was a small park, maybe you can use this idea in some other form of a building. Minas Tirith was not all about bricks .

P.S - you weren't cynical about the statue

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Like_Me View Post
    P.S - you weren't cynical about the statue
    No, I wasn't. When you mentioned possible improvements, I realized that they would indeed look even better the way you described them.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; December 16, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Zmaj od Noćaja's Avatar Miles

great buildings!!!

Is there actually a need for building icons or are they mostly done?

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

No, they aren't ready and I think that some jerks convinced him to remake some already very good icons by saying that they weren't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    No, they aren't ready and I think that some jerks convinced him to remake some already very good icons by saying that they weren't good.
    I hope your wrong there is denfinetly no need to rework them! As i know it is alot of work making those icons, so I think he should invest time either in making other faction´s.

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

He sure should do.

*A very very VERY BIIIIIIIG hint*

Quote Originally Posted by muffer View Post
    He sure should do.

*A very very VERY BIIIIIIIG hint*
    That´s a poor statement, at least say what got to be reworked.

Well, the funny part will be when he gets frustrated because of all the excessive criticism, and decides that his free time is put to better use, well, anywhere but here. And we all get to look at pictures of european architecture, strangely reminisent of some other game we all play.

Again, I think rogue's work is going to hugely improve the immersion of this mod, at least, for the factions that end up being graced by it.

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Alright it's true I wasn't nice there before and I apologize for that. It wasn't my intent to say that. I misread the post of Devils_Advocate. I meant to say that he should invest the time that he would invest in making new icons for other factions instead of reworking great and marvelous icons that don't need updating at all.
    Ok maybe a litle but that can be a bonus for later releases not?

Gertrudius's Avatar Hans Olo

I think the building icons look fabulous! i don't really see much of a need to re-work them, seeing as there are other icons that need made, but i guess I'll be happy with whatever rouge decides to do.

Keep up the great work!!!

I took me some free time and made some eriador icons preview. I did them (nearly) up from scratch and it is damn much work and they even can´t match with granny´s. Again, so please stop rushin´ him.
    btw
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Attachment 25762

Attachment 25763

Attachment 25764
    (i am gettin sligthly obssesed by 2d disgn, jesus!)

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

I tried doing some too and they weren't nearly as good as rogu3's. People should be really happy to have quality icons such as those. Even though a complete icon change with matching roads, walls and farms is a good idea I rather see building icons for other factions like Rohan and Dwarves first. I just hope everything is done in time for the release, best of luck to rogu3.
    Last edited by Louis Lux; December 22, 2008 at 08:33 AM.

awesome

i mean..

awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I would rather be first in a small village in Gaul than second in command in Rome"
    Gaius Julius Caesar - Emperor of Rome

Morwen's Avatar Foederatus

I modelled some 3d buildings for gondor, hoping to someday convert them for M2TW battlemap, meanwhile I suppose they might work for building icons. Will get back to my computer after new years and see what I can pull up.