Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frederick's M2TW Tactical Guide: (I) Pike-Musket Formations

Default Re: Frederick's M2TW Tactical Guide: (I) Pike-Musket Formations

Ratio of pike/gunners best used, very flexible are 1/1.Good artilery for suport is great in defence is magdonel, old, imprecise but even 1-2 hits in 30 mins give you a great morale against enemy.A good squad of cavalry is always usefull.Yesterday I put a totally mad combo vs a normal ultimate stack of HRE, 10 swiss guards/10 arquebusiers vs gothic, imperial, landschrect, teutons, reiters.I was stunned about the most of time was a tie.Puting halebards(yes the best) in 2 lines with in front the gunners in 2 lines very close was madness.All horsed knights was i charge, they lost near a quarter before hit and in 10 seconds they remain 6-7 troups who routed.Guners blow armors, morale and even start engage with sword and halebard finishing.Ok was halebard not pike and 1 of the best.Ideea is this combo lost but very later with huge loses both sides(80%), the plus of HRE AI was the pikes and gothic,imperial dismunted who atack after monted version charge.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

I probably should start a new thread but I just had to comment on the fact that the noob box is being considered as a legitimate tactical formation. Also this thread should probably be moved to the guide sub-forum, if you could call it a guide.
    Last edited by Judeman266; March 28, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

It is legitimate formation against the AI. Pike in multi is hard to use because its so slow. I would never have more than 3-4 pikes in a multi battle army. We can't really get Tercio formation given game constraints so this is pretty close. I think VNV formations have proven more effective as you can get a wider frontage with fewer units and channel the AI better than with a box but I have actually used this formation a few times. Rarely in SS but much more often in CoW.

What's VNV?

W or V formations with Crossbow/missile aligned lengthwise behind pikes at the top of the W with heavy infantry as the N waiting to charge inward on the flanks of any enemy the get past the pike blocking the top of the V. It is more versatile and difficult to approach than just a square though I'm not sure I would use it much in multi as it is still a bit difficult to respond with any speed.

Do you have a picture or diagram?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12